Search
Notices
General Cycling Discussion Have a cycling related question or comment that doesn't fit in one of the other specialty forums? Drop on in and post in here! When possible, please select the forum above that most fits your post!

Walmart's best!

Search this Thread

Old 10-12-21, 06:48 PM
cyclezen
OM boy

Bikes: a bunch

Mentioned: 11 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 514 Post(s)
Liked 641 Times in 437 Posts
Originally Posted by Siu Blue Wind
Are we supposed to make fun of them for buying one?
oh... YES !!!!

.... this thread... I'm gonna need to put on my Dependz ...
can't stop cryin ...!
is there no mercy ?
Yuri
Likes For cyclezen:
Old 10-12-21, 09:01 PM
jaxgtr

Bikes: Trek Domane SLR 7 AXS, Trek CheckPoint SL7 AXS, Trek Emonda ALR AXS, Trek FX 5 Sport

Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Quoted: 763 Post(s)
Liked 1,731 Times in 1,008 Posts
So I went by the LBS today to pick up a saddle that I had ordered. There is a guy in there taking a test ride on a Trek Marlin 7, ended up buying it. After a quick conversation with the shop mgr, I head back to the counter to get my saddle and chat with a few of the mechanics and noticed that this bike is in the shop as the owner, dude buying the Marlin, wants them to fix the squeaking in the fork. This guy is 6.5 ft and the bike is at best a size medium and has 27.5 wheels. Bike easily weighs 60 lbs and the wheels are solid alloy or steel. Said he should have just bought the Marlin the first time he came in, but did not want to spend that much money, so he bought this thing off Amazon, and then ended up spending the money for the Marlin anyway. The guy working with him was trying to show him some of the hybrids as he told him he only planned to ride on paved roads, but he didn't want the skinny tires. When they told him he could get wider tires, he said , "the Marlin is perfect for me". Made me chuckle. I asked them what their plan was to fix the fork from squeaking, they just laughed. They told me they get 3 or 4 of these a month by people wanting to get stuff fixed after it breaks in 3 months.

Likes For jaxgtr:
Old 10-12-21, 09:06 PM
jaxgtr

Bikes: Trek Domane SLR 7 AXS, Trek CheckPoint SL7 AXS, Trek Emonda ALR AXS, Trek FX 5 Sport

Originally Posted by ThermionicScott

What the hell kind of shoes is this dude wearing??? Look like unlaced high tops

Likes For jaxgtr:
Old 10-12-21, 09:20 PM
ThermionicScott 
working on my sandal tan

Bikes: 1991 Bianchi Eros, 1964 Armstrong, 1988 Diamondback Ascent, 1988 Bianchi Premio, 1987 Bianchi Sport SX, 1980s Raleigh mixte (hers), All-City Space Horse (hers)

Mentioned: 98 Post(s)
Quoted: 3871 Post(s)
Liked 2,568 Times in 1,579 Posts
Originally Posted by jaxgtr
I guess I assumed they were booties of some kind, but after looking again, this poor guy doesn't even have a left foot!
People in this forum are not typical.
RUSA #7498
Likes For ThermionicScott:
Old 10-13-21, 04:56 AM
livedarklions
Tragically Ignorant

Bikes: Serotta Atlanta; 1994 Specialized Allez Pro; Giant OCR A1; SOMA Double Cross Disc; 2022 Allez Elite mit der SRAM

Mentioned: 62 Post(s)
Quoted: 8186 Post(s)
Liked 9,098 Times in 5,054 Posts
Originally Posted by Maelochs
The bike looks unsafe if not anatomically impossible to ride, as it appears in the photos. The fact that the company could not even take a picture of a person riding the bike---even in the same room as the bike---makes me wonder a little. The brakes are so far from the seat a person would almost have to stop and get off the bike and walk around front of it to reach the brakes---which wouldn't work anyway because the levers are secured by bar tape.

I will ridicule the bike, the people who made it, the people who sort of wrote and almost translated the ad copy----because the whole thing was a pure crap job. Anyone who laid out the money to actually build the thing wasted that money, and anyone who bought one .... nothing good to say about that person. Anyone who tried to ride that bike would know in an instant that it is unsafe at any speed.--- that "instant" being when they wanted to stop and get off.

I will heap mockery on anyone in any way associated with the product,. including the "reviewers on this site---including myself. Why not? As you can all attest, I am a humble man.

Enough with the virtue-signaling. There is noting not humorous about any aspect of this thread except for the bitter sadness of the poor children who begged their parents to get them bicycles, only to find one of those in the driveway.

Making fun of someone for making an uninformed buying decision and posting pictures of their bikes is punching down. Enough with the " I'm smarter than them" signalling.

Assume the bike is as bad as people are saying. What's humorous about someone being conned into buying it? Do you laugh at old people who fall for scams?

Everything about the marketing is fair game for ridicule, the exposure of how bad they're lying could actually help inform unwary consumers, but there's no good reason to post ridicule of a buyer.

Last edited by livedarklions; 10-13-21 at 05:01 AM.
Old 10-13-21, 05:04 AM
livedarklions
Tragically Ignorant

Bikes: Serotta Atlanta; 1994 Specialized Allez Pro; Giant OCR A1; SOMA Double Cross Disc; 2022 Allez Elite mit der SRAM

I guess I assumed they were booties of some kind, but after looking again, this poor guy doesn't even have a left foot!

It's actually Clippy, the former Microsoft digital assistant. He had some work done and got bent into that position.
Likes For livedarklions:
Old 10-13-21, 06:49 AM
livedarklions
Tragically Ignorant

Originally Posted by mstateglfr
The answer is 7. One must be 7 illiterate or greater to not know what a rhetorical question is.

As for the rest- I don't want to get into am unimportant bickering match over who is holiest. You win that, I am not worthy.

You have a knack for scolding and instructing other people about what you think is proper, then claiming that other people are being holier than thou when they disagree.

Can I score you as an 8, then? <----------rhetorical question
Old 10-13-21, 08:25 AM
Maelochs

Bikes: 2015 Workswell 066, 2017 Workswell 093, 2014 Dawes Sheila, 1983 Cannondale 500, 1984 Raleigh Olympian, 2007 Cannondale Rize 4, 2017 Fuji Sportif 1 LE

Mentioned: 144 Post(s)
Quoted: 7652 Post(s)
Liked 3,473 Times in 1,834 Posts
Originally Posted by livedarklions
You have a knack for scolding and instructing other people about what you think is proper, then claiming that other people are being holier than thou when they disagree.
Repeated as a perfect definition of irony.
Likes For Maelochs:
Old 10-13-21, 08:27 AM
Inusuit

Bikes: 1995 Specialized Rockhopper,1989 Specialized Rock Combo, 2013 Specialized Tarmac Elite

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Quoted: 213 Post(s)
Liked 588 Times in 278 Posts
Interesting how so many threads devolve into petty bickering and name calling. I love this place.
Likes For Inusuit:
Old 10-13-21, 08:42 AM
livedarklions
Tragically Ignorant

Originally Posted by Maelochs
Repeated as a perfect definition of irony.

I don't do the "holier than thou" accusation much. You, on the other hand, just did one. Might want to look up the word "irony".

Yes, I argue with people for exhibiting uncivil behavior, and you can call it scolding, if you like.
Old 10-13-21, 09:00 AM
mstateglfr 
Sunshine

Bikes: '18 class built steel roadbike, '19 Fairlight Secan, '88 Schwinn Premis , Black Mountain Cycles Monstercross V4, '89 Novara Trionfo

Mentioned: 123 Post(s)
Quoted: 10955 Post(s)
Liked 7,484 Times in 4,186 Posts
Everything about the marketing is fair game for ridicule, the exposure of how bad they're lying could actually help inform unwary consumers, but there's no good reason to post ridicule of a buyer.
What I posted in this thread that is related to the topic is exactly what you say is fair game. Yet you get all worked up and chastise me for...I am really still not sure what I did that was worth being taken to task.
This is too funny to read.
Just report people if they violate forum rules.
Likes For mstateglfr:
Old 10-13-21, 09:46 AM
livedarklions
Tragically Ignorant

Originally Posted by Siu Blue Wind
Are we supposed to make fun of them for buying one?
There is nothing you are supposed to do. If you find it to be comical, absurd, goofy, etc- then say so. If you find it to be legit, valuable, good, etc- then say so.
What I posted in this thread that is related to the topic is exactly what you say is fair game. .
You're either a liar or completely illiterate to the point you don't understand what you posted or what you were responding to.

If you're agreeing with me that the line between legitimate "go after it" and "bullying" is where I say it is, stop whining that I accused you of crossing that line. I never did, you made that up. If you're arguing that I'm putting the line in the wrong place, at least be honest about what you posted--whether you meant to or not, you did take a position on that. If you do that, you really don't get to complain if I post that I disagree with you about it.

Last edited by livedarklions; 10-13-21 at 10:03 AM.
Old 10-13-21, 09:52 AM
grant40

Mentioned: 4 Post(s)
Quoted: 261 Post(s)
Liked 346 Times in 204 Posts
Here
Old 10-13-21, 09:57 AM
grant40

Mentioned: 4 Post(s)
Quoted: 261 Post(s)
Liked 346 Times in 204 Posts
GCN did a review on a similar bike.

Likes For grant40:
Old 10-13-21, 10:08 AM
livedarklions
Tragically Ignorant

Originally Posted by grant40
Here
No one's claiming it isn't a ripoff POS. That's definitely a good warning to anyone who might contemplate buying one.

Good way to hide the fact that the brakes don't work might be to put the handles out of reach.
Likes For livedarklions:
Old 10-13-21, 10:22 AM
mstateglfr 
Sunshine

Bikes: '18 class built steel roadbike, '19 Fairlight Secan, '88 Schwinn Premis , Black Mountain Cycles Monstercross V4, '89 Novara Trionfo

You're either a liar or completely illiterate to the point you don't understand what you posted or what you were responding to.

If you're agreeing with me that the line between legitimate "go after it" and "bullying" is where I say it is, stop whining that I accused you of crossing that line. I never did, you made that up. If you're arguing that I'm putting the line in the wrong place, at least be honest about what you posted--whether you meant to or not, you did take a position on that. If you do that, you really don't get to complain if I post that I disagree with you about it.
I am not wanting to argue anything. Its a thread about woefully designed/built/marketed bikes and I commented that the designers and marketers deserve criticism. That is also what you said- those people are fair game.
I specifically havent given an opinion on consumers, which is the group you declared should be off limits.
So my posted opinions on the topic so far align with what you want to see in the thread, yet you are chirping on about me doing something wrong...I am still not sure what though. You clearly dislike me having done something though.

Sucks you were so offended and hurt by my response to Siu, but it was neither offensive or improper. I didnt make fun of anyone specific or even in general.

From the perspective of consumers, this thread is a collection of classic buyer beware situations. People tend to laugh at those situations when they recognize them. If you dont like it and feel it violates the forum's rules, then report that laughing.

Someone needs to post The Simpsons gif 'wont somebody please think of the children?' because its long overdue.
Likes For mstateglfr:
Old 10-13-21, 10:27 AM
livedarklions
Tragically Ignorant

Sucks you were so offended and hurt by my response to Siu, but it was neither offensive or improper. I didnt make fun of anyone specific or even in general.
I posted that I disagreed with what you said in your response to Siu. I never said anything about you being offensive or improper or even making fun of people. I stated and stand by my statement that OP did make fun of someone. Apparently, people disagreeing with you offends you.

BTW, are you now saying Siu shouldn't have commented on OP's post as she did? Was she just supposed to report it to a mod? You're making up rules and telling us what to do. Too funny.

We're done, you're trying WAYYYYYY too hard to miss the point and make it about imaginary offenses against you.

Last edited by livedarklions; 10-13-21 at 10:37 AM.
Old 10-13-21, 10:54 AM
mstateglfr 
Sunshine

I posted that I disagreed with what you said in your response to Siu. I never said anything about you being offensive or improper or even making fun of people. I stated and stand by my statement that OP did make fun of someone. Apparently, people disagreeing with you offends you.

BTW, are you now saying Siu shouldn't have commented on OP's post as she did? Was she just supposed to report it to a mod? You're making up rules and telling us what to do. Too funny.

We're done, you're trying WAYYYYYY too hard to miss the point and make it about imaginary offenses against you.

I honestly dont understand what issue you have with anything ive posted. You continue to just draw conclusions and then comment on the conclusions you drew.

- I am OK with you disagreeing with my post to Siu. I dont know what you disagree with, but I dont really care so I am quite content with you disagreeing with the post.
- If you dont think I am making fun of people, and that is the issue that you have with this thread, then why are you continuing to preach to me?
- If the OP made fun of someone, then dont quote me about it- just take it up with the OP. And maybe report the post if it is so egregiously offensive that you feel the need to respond about it being offensive.
- I am not offended with people disagreeing with me. I have yet to feel offended in this entire thread. Confused?...for sure. Offended?...nope.
- I am not saying Siu should have commented differently. I am not saying that nor am I suggesting that.
- I also am not making up rules or telling people what to do. You have claimed this a couple times now, but no, that isnt accurate. This board isnt mine so I am not making rules for it.
- It is unfortunate that you chirped up and chastised me for answering Siu's post because its led to here- no progress and nothing of value added. Its a pretty common result, from what I see.
Likes For mstateglfr:
Old 10-13-21, 11:16 AM
Reflector Guy

Bikes: Bianchi Infinito XE, Via Nirone 7, GT Aggressor Pro

Quoted: 599 Post(s)
Liked 1,271 Times in 588 Posts

The photographer in me is trying to figure what shutter speed they used to blur the background to such an extent but all the spokes are frozen almost as if the bike isn't even moving at all...
Likes For Reflector Guy:
Old 10-13-21, 12:42 PM
livedarklions
Tragically Ignorant

Originally Posted by Reflector Guy
The photographer in me is trying to figure what shutter speed they used to blur the background to such an extent but all the spokes are frozen almost as if the bike isn't even moving at all...

Well, that and it's obviously the reversed image of the bike the lady is "leaning" on. It appears they photoshopped a kickstand onto that one.
Old 10-13-21, 12:47 PM
livedarklions
Tragically Ignorant

Apparently they also sell a variant with regular-spoked wheels, but how exactly is she leaning on it?

Did no one in the art department realize that they had flipped all the decals when they decided to make this guy ride in the other direction?

Have some pride in your work, fellas!

Fun to put these two together because that's clearly the same image of the bike with one being reversed. Also, the kickstand was probably attached to the bike they photoshopped out to replace with this thing.
Likes For livedarklions:
Old 10-13-21, 12:50 PM
RH Clark

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 538 Post(s)
Liked 465 Times in 258 Posts
At least we know any of us could get a job at Walmart assembling bikes.
Likes For RH Clark:
Old 10-13-21, 01:15 PM
Reflector Guy

Her hand must be REALLY flexible! It fits simultaneously behind the stem and in front of the fork spacers...
Likes For Reflector Guy:
Old 10-13-21, 02:39 PM
jaxgtr

Originally Posted by zandoval
When it's taking three months to get in a Trek after your order I think this fills a need. Step out buy a bike cheap at Walmart. Also they have helmets, pumps, tubes, tires, decals, stickers, streamers too. Places to get any kind of bike are getting fewer and fewer and walking into a modern day bike shop is really walking into a Dealership with financing a higher priority than getting you ridding. There is definitely a place for the Walmart bikes.

I have had many a friend come over with thier new Walmart bike so we can take it apart and reassemble it the right way. This too needs to be emphasized...

3 months ???? You have an inside source selling out the back door at Waterloo?

Likes For jaxgtr:
Old 10-13-21, 03:07 PM
Reflector Guy

3 months ???? You have an inside source selling out the back door at Waterloo?
Cash talks.

But don't even THINK about using the warranty!
Likes For Reflector Guy:

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.