Go Back  Bike Forums > Bike Forums > Hybrid Bicycles
Reload this Page >

Thread for Specialized Sirrus

Notices
Hybrid Bicycles Where else would you go to discuss these fun, versatile bikes?

Thread for Specialized Sirrus

Old 10-11-21, 09:34 PM
bmwpowere36m3

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 24 Post(s)
Liked 8 Times in 8 Posts
A 650B wheel/tire combo can have the same overall diameter as a 700c... so it "depends" on specific sizes. 650B is like high-profile tires vs. 700c low-profile of the gravel community.
Old 10-12-21, 09:04 AM
dougpgreen

Quoted: 16 Post(s)
Liked 12 Times in 3 Posts
Originally Posted by bmwpowere36m3
A 650B wheel/tire combo can have the same overall diameter as a 700c... so it "depends" on specific sizes. 650B is like high-profile tires vs. 700c low-profile of the gravel community.
This. Since the purpose of moving to 650b from 700c would normally be to get clearance to use larger tires, there coud be less difference on BB height with the right tires than one might think. It also depends on your riding style (how much do you typically lean?). If you ride singletrack trails with sharper curves, you will have more issues than if you ride gravel roads with curves designed for cars. The BB height on the 5.0 is not particularly high for an off-road bike, so it is something I woud pay attention to, It's very personal. Some might even be willing to deal with the possibility of pedal strike for the purpose of decreasing standover height. I've considered this for my wife as she seldom leans her bike far enough for pedal strike to come into play. In my experience, customer support at Specialized are not a reliable source of wisdom. They mostly answer questions with canned answers and don't go off script or deal with nuance. Sometimes you get lucky and get a response from someone that gives you useful information, but that happens about 1 of 5 interactions in my experience.
Old 10-12-21, 10:08 AM
hokiefyd 

Bikes: More bikes than riders

Mentioned: 36 Post(s)
Quoted: 1438 Post(s)
Liked 749 Times in 559 Posts
Another thing you can do to decrease the chances of pedal strike, and this is likely more applicable to those looking for increased standover clearance anyway, is consider shorter crank arms. Most bikes today come with 170mm arms on small and medium sized frames and 172.5 or 175mm on the larger frames. Shorter 160 or 165mm crank arms could add 5-10mm to your pedal strike clearance...which could offset the clearance lost by going to the smaller wheel and tire combination. Going from a 32-622 (nominally 686mm diameter) to a 42-584 (668mm) or a 47-584 (678mm) means a loss of 8-18mm of diameter -- or 4-9mm in radius (frame height).
Old 10-12-21, 12:32 PM
prj71

Mentioned: 14 Post(s)
Quoted: 2964 Post(s)
Liked 1,159 Times in 758 Posts
Originally Posted by RH64
I've got a question for someone smarter than me! I recently contacted Specialized about 650B wheels on the Sirrus x 5.0 and they suggested not to because of the risk of pedal strikes.

Can someone tell me the difference in bottom bracket height on a 700c w/ 38mm tires vs a 650b with 47mm tires?

Thanks,
Robert
You aren't going to have any pedal strike issues unless you were to take the bike off road onto single track mountain bike trails. Gravel and paved roads will not be a problem with 650b tires.
Old 10-12-21, 08:16 PM
bmwpowere36m3

Quoted: 24 Post(s)
Liked 8 Times in 8 Posts
Anyone riding a Diverge? Thinking of adding a Diverge carbon comp to compliment the Sirrus... I'm finding on longer or quicker rides I'm holding the Ergon GP3 grips like hoods. Maybe throw 650Bs on x5.0 and make it more a "fun" bike and use the diverge for longer rides.
Old 10-13-21, 11:31 AM
RH64

Quoted: 6 Post(s)
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Thank you all for the 650B thoughts.
Old 10-14-21, 06:25 PM
dougpgreen

Quoted: 16 Post(s)
Liked 12 Times in 3 Posts
Rear Rack on Sirrus X 5.0

Since I did not get any replies, I decided to go ahead with my planned solution for a rear rack on my Sirrus X 5.0. Specialized sells one of their own with a special bar that connects from the rack to the rear fender mount, but I've already invested in Topeaks removable bag rack system and wanted to keep mine. The rack mounts near the dropouts are not like the traditional bolt holes. There is a small black pin that protrudes from the seat stay that is held in place by a retaining screw. It is placed so that my rack would have trouble fitting unless I moved the pin out so far that I would not trust it to stay retained, so instead I used some nylon spacers to keep the rack away from the stays. I bent a piece of aluminum stock to connect to the front of the rack to the fender mount and used a rubber washer to protect the frame. I won't load it up like I would have on my aluminu bike, but it will be fine for carrying around extra clothing during the winter for me and my wife.

Last edited by dougpgreen; 10-14-21 at 06:28 PM.
Old 11-14-21, 05:03 AM
curdius

Quoted: 2 Post(s)
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
New Sirrus 4.0 and handlebar height

What an interesting thread!

I just bought my Sirrus 4.0 yesterday after almost 10 years of non cycling due to
an health issue related to the contact point between our body and the bike seat 😅. I read about the noseless seat and decided to try it on my wife cheap city bike. As soon as I noticed I could bike for 2h pain free I went to get the Sirrus 😉.

I was actually more attracted with the x4/x5, but because I live in Switzerland I decided for the 4 to have more gears for the climbs. The bike is brilliant and the price point of the 4 is amazing for a full carbon frame bike. I am 195cms so I got the XXL. The frame is huge, but when riding it’s just amazing. It really feels like a road race bike.

Now, because of the noseless seat, I have an handicap in terms of bike control, specially at slower speeds. I would like to raise the handlebars maybe 3 to 6 cms. What options would I have ? I know the noseless seats are not good for control, but its noseless or no bike at all.
Old 11-14-21, 02:46 PM
curdius

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Can’t reply to private messages

Somebody sent me a private message but I can’t reply until I have 10 posts (I guess to avoid spamming with new accounts).
Old 11-14-21, 02:49 PM
ArneDarvin

Bikes: Specialized Sirrus X 2.0

Quoted: 21 Post(s)
Liked 3 Times in 3 Posts
Originally Posted by curdius
Somebody sent me a private message but I can’t reply until I have 10 posts (I guess to avoid spamming with new accounts).
So, tell us, in about 8 posts, something about yourself that does not give out too much identifying information?
Old 11-14-21, 02:52 PM
curdius

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Originally Posted by ArneDarvin
So, tell us, in about 8 posts, something about yourself that does not give out too much identifying information?
Good idea lol. I am an ultra runner living in Switzerland with the need to add some biking hours to reduce the load on my knees and hips.
Old 11-14-21, 03:00 PM
curdius

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Good idea lol. I am an ultra runner living in Switzerland with the need to add some biking hours to reduce the load on my knees and hips.
Besides noticing the double click to change the front gears, I love my new Sirrus 4. Its a very fast commuting bike! I am curious to see how she will behave on the big climbs next spring.
Old 11-14-21, 04:47 PM
hokiefyd 

Bikes: More bikes than riders

Mentioned: 36 Post(s)
Quoted: 1438 Post(s)
Liked 749 Times in 559 Posts
Tell us what color your Sirrus is. And the kind of tires it has. And where you like riding it. And your favorite town in Switzerland. And what bike brands are popular there...all in separate posts. ;-)
Old 11-14-21, 06:44 PM
timgriffin2

Bikes: 2020 Specialized Sirrus 3.0

Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Quoted: 68 Post(s)
Liked 64 Times in 32 Posts
Besides noticing the double click to change the front gears, I love my new Sirrus 4. Its a very fast commuting bike! I am curious to see how she will behave on the big climbs next spring.
I thought that something was wrong with the front shifter when I first got my 2020 Sirrus 3.0. Then I found out about the MicroSHIFT technology. The half click one way or the other moves the front derailleur a small amount - to alleviate the chain rubbing on the derailleur. That's the way I understand it anyway...
Old 11-15-21, 03:30 AM
curdius

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Originally Posted by hokiefyd
Tell us what color your Sirrus is. And the kind of tires it has. And where you like riding it. And your favorite town in Switzerland. And what bike brands are popular there...all in separate posts. ;-)
So its grey one. The actual frame size is the XXL. Its border line between being the right size and a bit to big. But the Sirrus are very hard to find in stock so I took the xxl. The frame size is very comfortable riding but I have to put the eat in the minimum hight (for somebody with 195cms that’s very new situation).
Old 11-19-21, 07:52 AM
royalpar1 

Bikes: Sirrus 6.0

Quoted: 1 Post(s)
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
How can i tell if a sirrus 6.0 is a 2020 or a 2021 ?
Old 11-20-21, 06:46 AM
royalpar1 

Bikes: Sirrus 6.0

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Originally Posted by n0thing
The Cannondale Quick and Trek FX have their own threads, but not the Sirrus. I've seen many a Sirrus post on here so why not have a central one. Post up your Sirrus, ask questions, talk about the future of the Sirrus line, etc.
Set up the thread, i am in
Old 11-20-21, 04:35 PM
badger1

Mentioned: 22 Post(s)
Quoted: 1558 Post(s)
Liked 1,144 Times in 583 Posts
Originally Posted by royalpar1
Set up the thread, i am in
Uuuummm ... you are posting in it? Page 68 (I think) and counting. Nothing to "set up".
Old 12-26-21, 06:08 PM
smadsen

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Originally Posted by timgriffin2
I thought that something was wrong with the front shifter when I first got my 2020 Sirrus 3.0. Then I found out about the MicroSHIFT technology. The half click one way or the other moves the front derailleur a small amount - to alleviate the chain rubbing on the derailleur. That's the way I understand it anyway...
I also thought something was wrong with my 2020 Sirrus 4.0 at first, but then I realized that the MicroSHIFT was adjusting a small amount to prevent chain rub while at the extreme high and low gears on the cassette. While I spend most of my time on the same 4 gears or so, I like that the option is there.
Old 01-19-22, 05:52 PM
amishrider1223

Bikes: 2021 Niner Rip 9 Rdo, Specialized Sirrus x 3.0

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
2021 Sirrus X 3.0 fork upgrade

Does anyone know if the 2021 x 3.0 has a tapered steerer tube. I am wanting to upgrade to a carbon fork that has a thru axle but I cannot seem to find any information on Specialized website as to the spec.

Thanks
Old 01-20-22, 09:51 AM
travbikeman

Bikes: State 4130 Custom, Giant Trance 29

Mentioned: 7 Post(s)
Quoted: 416 Post(s)
Liked 172 Times in 117 Posts
Originally Posted by amishrider1223
Does anyone know if the 2021 x 3.0 has a tapered steerer tube. I am wanting to upgrade to a carbon fork that has a thru axle but I cannot seem to find any information on Specialized website as to the spec.

Thanks
That bike looks like a straight bar. If it was tapered, Specialized would have listed it and the images of the bike would have shown a tapered headtube.

Likes For travbikeman:
Old 01-27-22, 10:16 AM
RH64

Quoted: 6 Post(s)
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Hi All,

I recently got a Sirrus X 5.0 and I really like the bike, but I want to convert to an SRAM XPLR drivetrain. As this bike ships with Shimano, I contacted Specialized and asked about an XDR hub for the stock wheels. They replied that they don't have one. I'm not sure if that means they don't have any in stock or that they don;t make one. I know the 5.0 wheels must be a little different as they are the only ones that are tubeless.

Does anyone know how I could get an XDR hub on these wheels?
Old 01-27-22, 02:15 PM
prj71

Mentioned: 14 Post(s)
Quoted: 2964 Post(s)
Liked 1,159 Times in 758 Posts
Originally Posted by RH64
Hi All,

I recently got a Sirrus X 5.0 and I really like the bike, but I want to convert to an SRAM XPLR drivetrain. As this bike ships with Shimano, I contacted Specialized and asked about an XDR hub for the stock wheels. They replied that they don't have one. I'm not sure if that means they don't have any in stock or that they don;t make one. I know the 5.0 wheels must be a little different as they are the only ones that are tubeless.

Does anyone know how I could get an XDR hub on these wheels?
Check with your local bike shop. Knowing the manufacturer of the hub is necessary.
Old 02-01-22, 01:09 PM
madgoose1

Bikes: Specialized Sirrus 3.0

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
2020 Specialized Sirrus 3.0

So I am to post #105 just another 1593.

I had a 2014 Marin San Rafael XL stolen a couple of years back, in the December before the lockdown. I was upset not having a bike to get out during lockdown but I could not make up my mind or find something near to me. Eventually, I made up my mind on a Specialized Sirrus 3.0, but nobody had one in stock in an XL frame. Being 5'11" I could have got away with L sized frame but I felt comfortable on the XL Marin so that is what I opted for. Eventually, I found a (very little) used one about 70 miles away. The guy had bought it in May 2021 so he could ride with his girlfriend and after 3 months of light use, he decided he wanted to go full road bike with drop bars. The Sirrus sat for 4 months before I bought it in October. I took it to my LBS and they found 2 faults. the rear wheel had a repairable buckle and the headset was loose. They replaced a shim saying that they felt that nobody had been in the headset and that it had left the factory like that!

So here it is. Dec 2020 Specialized Sirrus 3.0

Fitted with Moon Nebula for the rear on the seat post and a Halfords 25 Lumen on the tube above the chainstay. At the front is a Moon Meteor 1700 LM (which I can also fit to my helmet (which is great at night) and a 500 LM Cats eye. An On Guard Platinum rated U lock.

So I love this bike but it needs tweaking. I need some riser bars and plan for some Ergon GP5 grips. Also, I feel the ride is a bit harsh, I Specialized own words I am feeling all the pavement frequency and road buzz, they recommended the Ergons. I am also on the lookout for a Cobble Gobbler. The demo peddles are coming to the end of their life and I am planning on some Specialized Bennies, anybody able to comment on them?

Last edited by madgoose1; 02-01-22 at 01:17 PM.
Old 02-01-22, 01:13 PM
AlePepper

Liked 1 Time in 1 Post
I want to give my dad (67yo) a bike, and I found a Sirrus Sport in what seems to be a nice shape. It's a 2011, probably a pretty basic model. How much would you pay for it?

Search this Thread

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.