Go Back  Bike Forums > Bike Forums > Recreational & Family
Reload this Page >

Repairing Burley trailer and cover?

Notices
Recreational & Family Ride just to ride? Have a family and want to get them into cycling? Drop in here to discuss recreational and family cycling issues.

Old 06-27-08, 02:05 PM
Dhorn33

Bikes: 92 Paramount Series 7 650c, 1984 Bianchi Alloro, 1995 Specialized Stumpjumper Cro-mo

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts

Has anyone successfully repaired a torn Burley (or any other brand) nylon trailer or cover? Today I picked up a Burley D'Lite trailer that was in a crash or something so there is a 4" tear on the canvas side right on the rail - and the cover is torn including the screen in the same spot. I am thinking I will pick up some nylon and just try sandwiching the hole or building a patch and sew it up but I wonder if some sort of sticky or iron on patch would work instead. Any suggestions?

I also have a Burley D'Lite that is missing the cover so I thought about just trying to make one. Anyone have any good input on this?

I have bought and sold at least a dozen bike trailers over the past couple summers including several older Burleys, Insteps, etc. These 2 were both purchased very cheap and I plan to keep one and sell the other and come out ahead on the deal. Bargains can be had if you look hard enough! Anyway - thanks!
Old 06-27-08, 06:33 PM
DieselDan

Location: Beaufort, South Carolina, USA and surrounding islands.

Bikes: Cannondale R500, Motobecane Messenger

Quoted: 11 Post(s)
Liked 1 Time in 1 Post
Burley used to support their products better and would sell replacement covers, screens, wheels, etc. I don't know if they do now that everything has been outsourced to China. The "Made in USA" sticker refers to the final assembly before shipping to retailer, not the origin of the parts.
Old 06-28-08, 07:13 PM
Michel Gagnon
Year-round cyclist

Quoted: 1 Post(s)
Liked 2 Times in 2 Posts
I have repaired a tear in the fabric of a Chariot trailer. Fairly easy, unless you want to make it really invisible. The worst part is that you'll have to practise sewing with your arms in really awkward positions.

Since it is torn right on the rail, I suspect that you may get some loose fabric by partly folding the trailer. I would recommend getting some kind of patching fabric from a sports store: either a patch for panniers (MEC used to sell some), for old heavyweight tents, or, if you can't find anything, buy a set of really cheap panniers. Sew the patch inside the trailer and also sew around the tear.

For the screen, black upholstery tread does great repairs... unless it's torn all the way, in which case you might be better with a new screen.

As for the plastic cover, I don't have a truly satisfying solution. I have done a few makeshift repairs that didn't look too bad by applying self-stick transparent Mactac on both sides of the plastic cover. It worked fine, was rainproof, but wasn't perfectly transparent, so it works better if it is not a wide patch right into the main field of vision.

Someone also suggested a transparent glue by Locktite, but I never tried it.
Old 06-28-08, 09:42 PM
sunflowerflyer

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
yes, but not burley

On our first inexpensive trailer we replaced the fabric at least twice. It was actually fairly simple. I'm guessing Burley has replacement fabric, give them a call.
Old 06-30-08, 08:57 AM
Dhorn33

Bikes: 92 Paramount Series 7 650c, 1984 Bianchi Alloro, 1995 Specialized Stumpjumper Cro-mo

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
I just used some black upholstry thread I found in our sewing box and sewed it up to the best of my ability. I should have used Yellow thread in hindsite because it would have looked way better - but I think of it as a battle scar and you know what everyone says about chicks digging scars - right? ;-) I sold the trailer the next day with no cover for $75. (I paid $50 for it and kept the cover and stroller kit for the one I am keeping.)

The cover also needed sewing so I used the black upholstry thread for that as weel. I think it will hold up just fine but I did pick up some nylon that I could sew over the repait to make it look a little better I guess. I am just happy to have a realy Burley cover on the trailer rather than trying to use the Instep cover that I had been using!

In summary: I have been using an Instep Quick-N-Lite that I bought 2 years ago at a garage sale for $30. A few weeks ago I bought a Burley D'Lite from another sale for $40 with no cover. I was able to rig up the Instep cover but it wasn't quite right so I have been looking for a Burley one but not willing to pay the $100 it would cost to get it from Burley. Friday I stumbled across another D'Lite at a sale and bought it for $50. The trailer included the full stroller kit and cover - but the cover and trailer both had tears. I repaired the torn trailer and cover and sold the repaired trailer for $75, the Instep trailer for $50 and I now have a Burley D'Lite with cover and stroller kit that I have been paid $5 to own. Not to bad! ;-)

Burley does have most parts available for their products and they generally respond to emails within 24 hours so give them a try if you need anything. Their products are much higher quality than the knockoffs and last for a long, long time.
Old 08-09-09, 05:16 PM
panchothepug

Quoted: 18 Post(s)
Liked 2 Times in 2 Posts
I'm in the same situation with a Burley D'Lite. Fabric entirely torn in bad need of replacement. Any ideas?
Old 08-10-09, 10:52 AM
Dhorn33

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
I am pretty sure Burley sells replacement canvas if you aren't crafty to fix yours up?
Old 03-20-16, 12:26 PM
watertiger62

Quoted: 2 Post(s)
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
I make replacement Burley bicycle trailer covers

I make replacement Burley bicycle trailer covers for $140 plus tax. I need the trailer to match up the snap patterns though.

https://i680.photobucket.com/albums/v...ps9dlmmfmo.jpg
Old 03-20-16, 12:34 PM
fietsbob
Banned

Bikes: 8

Mentioned: 197 Post(s)
Quoted: 7607 Post(s)
Liked 1,354 Times in 861 Posts
Burly Used to Be Owned by the people who worked there .
Old 03-20-16, 12:48 PM
watertiger62

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Originally Posted by fietsbob
Burly Used to Be Owned by the people who worked there .
Yeah, that's sad. Now they are Chinese like everyone else.

I make the replacement covers in my house using my industrial sewing machines, T69 thread, and 400-500D nylon canvas. Made to last and fit.

If you are in Colorado, stop on by.
Old 03-20-16, 12:53 PM
fietsbob
Banned

PI was where I heard they went to off shore. Hired manager drove it Into Bankruptcy then Bought it , is the Rumor.
Old 03-22-16, 09:23 AM
Darth Lefty 
Disco Infiltrator

Bikes: Stormchaser, Paramount, Tilt, Samba tandem

Mentioned: 72 Post(s)
Quoted: 3124 Post(s)
Liked 2,101 Times in 1,366 Posts
If you want to study up on the end of the Burley co-op, there's a lot of material in the Tandem subforum. Based on that, it appears some smart MBA's ruined it from the inside and then an angel investor came through to keep it going as an Oregon company and not let it turn into Schwinn-InStep. However, they never made another tandem or recumbent.
Genesis 49:16-17
Old 03-22-16, 12:02 PM
fietsbob
Banned

They got a Mortgaged Bare ground Purpose built building after I left Town.

from 06 : https://www.bikeforums.net/road-cycli...-burley-2.html
Old 10-13-16, 06:59 PM
rherndon1

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Burley Cub 2 and 1 Cover

Originally Posted by watertiger62
I make replacement Burley bicycle trailer covers for $140 plus tax. I need the trailer to match up the snap patterns though.

I need a cover for my Burley Cub year approx. 2000. Need the 2 & 1 front to back cover. How do we proceed and how long does it take?
Old 10-13-16, 08:53 PM
rherndon1

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
I am interested in getting a cover for my Burley Cub. Approx. year 2000. How do we proceed in you making the cover? how long does it take. Can send pictures and measurements.
Old 10-17-16, 08:55 AM
watertiger62

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Originally Posted by rherndon1
I am interested in getting a cover for my Burley Cub. Approx. year 2000. How do we proceed in you making the cover? how long does it take. Can send pictures and measurements.
I need the trailer to make the cover as stated above. I don't have patterns for any specific make, model, or year. Everything is custom made. They changed the snap placements from model to model and year to year. I have to change the distance between the front and rear windows as well.

You can drop the trailer off at my house. Give me about two weeks turn-around. I'm in the Boulder area.

I could possibly cut a pattern off an old cover but it won't fit as well. Fabric shrinks over time and I have to guess at the snap placements. If the cover has buckles and straps- can't do it.
Old 11-10-16, 05:39 PM
Robobeall

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Still making burley covers?

Email me: robobeall@gmail.com so I can at least send I photos of old trailers.

Originally Posted by watertiger62

Old 11-14-16, 07:37 AM
watertiger62

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
It's best to just post up any photos to this forum.

Price is now $150 plus any tax (or shipping).

I REALLY NEED THE TRAILER TO BE DROPPED OFF AT MY HOUSE TO MAKE THE COVER. I have no patterns for the covers. Each one is custom due to the very nature of the variability of trailer sizes, shapes, and snap placement. One size does not fit all. I do multiple fittings throughout the making of the cover.

I can guess if an old cover is mailed to me but I cannot guarantee fit. Fabric shrinks over time. Taking measurements would involve numerous very detailed precise ones.

Payment must be upfront.
Old 10-28-17, 12:01 PM
Mikeems911RN

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Do you still repair covers?
Old 10-30-17, 09:14 AM
watertiger62

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Originally Posted by Mikeems911RN
Do you still repair covers?
Yes I do. Farmers market season is ending and sewing repair season is beginning.
Old 04-21-18, 03:43 PM
dsipes

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
watertiger -- I have a Burley needing repair, pleas contact me at billlions11@yahoo.com
Old 11-30-19, 03:12 AM
alpharalpha

Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Quoted: 43 Post(s)
Liked 2 Times in 2 Posts
I have one of those old burley d'lite 2 child trailers--the one with the red seat 1999-2003. I got a tear along the top rail; just cut a rectangle of heavy denier nylon and sewed all around; good as new.
Old 08-29-20, 04:58 PM
dyenfd

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
I have a Burley D’lite that needs repair. Either total side window replacement or sew in some portholes. Can you do this?
thanks, Fred has (dyenfd@earthlink.net)
Old 10-15-21, 11:26 AM
Annie247

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Hi

I was wondering if anyone has ideas on what I can do about the undercarriage part needs some reinforcement because it's almost dragging on the floor. Has anyone ever do anything like that? Thank you.
Old 10-18-21, 12:30 PM
panchothepug

Quoted: 18 Post(s)
Liked 2 Times in 2 Posts
Use wood. Planks of wood. Take a wooden crate and stick it in there and see how that works. That gives you an idea of the idea.

Search this Thread

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.