Go Back  Bike Forums > The Racer's Forum > "The 33"-Road Bike Racing
Reload this Page >

The Water Cooler, Scuttlebutt, Chit Chat Thread

Notices
"The 33"-Road Bike Racing We set this forum up for our members to discuss their experiences in either pro or amateur racing, whether they are the big races, or even the small backyard races. Don't forget to update all the members with your own race results.

The Water Cooler, Scuttlebutt, Chit Chat Thread

Old 10-11-21, 01:36 PM
TheKillerPenguin
Nonsense

Bikes: Affirmative

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 880 Post(s)
Liked 541 Times in 237 Posts
Home ownership is fun!

I mean not really. But really. You know.
Old 10-11-21, 07:52 PM
carpediemracing 

Bikes: Tsunami road bikes, Dolan DF4 track

Mentioned: 36 Post(s)
Quoted: 383 Post(s)
Liked 173 Times in 97 Posts
Originally Posted by burnthesheep
Dude, you just inspired me.
Ha! Awesome!

Looks like ETA is end of November. Might be enough time to put it in, although it gets pretty cold by then. Apparently it's a one day process. It's going to cost about two Dolan's worth (complete bike, with SRM, 2 disk wheels). I'm looking forward to it. I'm not sure exactly how we'll use it, but the Missus enjoys running and we cannot fit a treadmill in our humble abode. Might work out there. Plus just general hanging out.
"...during the Lance years, being fit became the No. 1 thing. Totally the only thing. It’s a big part of what we do, but fitness is not the only thing. There’s skills, there’s tactics … there’s all kinds of stuff..." Tim Johnson
Old 10-12-21, 02:46 PM
gsteinb
out walking the earth

Mentioned: 71 Post(s)
Tagged: 1 Thread(s)
Quoted: 912 Post(s)
Liked 752 Times in 342 Posts
set your trainer up in there so you can ride a Dolan?
Old 10-13-21, 09:45 PM
carpediemracing 

Originally Posted by gsteinb
set your trainer up in there so you can ride a Dolan?
Might be noisy with the floor reverberating, but it's a thought. I'm fiddling with my KK Road Machine so I can put the Dolan on there - I think I'm missing one of the axle nut adapters so the Dolan tilts when it's in the trainer.

I also have some old school Kreitlers, and I need to ride those. I've learned that I need to pedal much, much faster, like 10-15 rpm faster at full power.
"...during the Lance years, being fit became the No. 1 thing. Totally the only thing. It’s a big part of what we do, but fitness is not the only thing. There’s skills, there’s tactics … there’s all kinds of stuff..." Tim Johnson
Old 10-14-21, 07:33 AM
topflightpro

Mentioned: 54 Post(s)
Quoted: 1851 Post(s)
Liked 675 Times in 427 Posts
My company has been going through a giant re-org. About 6 months ago, I was pulled from my regular position to work on a new team in a new interim role. I was led to believe I was going to be up for a bit promotion. Found out this week that it looks like I am eligible to keep the job I was hired to do and I get to interview for the position I've been doing the past 6 months, which I guess is technically a minor promotion? And I should not be expecting any pay raises any time soon (and by soon I mean 12-24 months).

Not sure what my employer was trying to accomplish with their re-org plan, but everyone I know is now very unhappy and pretty much everyone is looking for a new job elsewhere.

In other news, I've ordered a mountain bike. A YT Izzo. TMonk's suggestion of the Ibis Ripley, I learned, was 100% correct. That was what I wanted to go with, but given availability, who knows when one would be available. YT said they could get me one is 6 months.
Likes For topflightpro:
Old 10-14-21, 12:12 PM
Flatballer
No matches

Bikes: two wheeled ones

Mentioned: 15 Post(s)
Quoted: 1398 Post(s)
Liked 444 Times in 250 Posts
Originally Posted by topflightpro
My company has been going through a giant re-org. About 6 months ago, I was pulled from my regular position to work on a new team in a new interim role. I was led to believe I was going to be up for a bit promotion. Found out this week that it looks like I am eligible to keep the job I was hired to do and I get to interview for the position I've been doing the past 6 months, which I guess is technically a minor promotion? And I should not be expecting any pay raises any time soon (and by soon I mean 12-24 months).

Not sure what my employer was trying to accomplish with their re-org plan, but everyone I know is now very unhappy and pretty much everyone is looking for a new job elsewhere.

In other news, I've ordered a mountain bike. A YT Izzo. TMonk's suggestion of the Ibis Ripley, I learned, was 100% correct. That was what I wanted to go with, but given availability, who knows when one would be available. YT said they could get me one is 6 months.
Always a good marker of a successful re-org if literally everything outside of the C-Suite is pissed off.

With inflation and the job market the way it is, no raises for 12-24 months, is a death sentence for a business. That's crazy.
Old 10-14-21, 05:22 PM
TMonk
Not actually Tmonk

Bikes: road, track, mtb

Mentioned: 140 Post(s)
Quoted: 2477 Post(s)
Liked 2,899 Times in 1,541 Posts

Glad to hear the bike suggestion went well. On the MTB front, I'll be most likely heading to the "Mount Laguna Trail Fest" an annual SDMBA event. They book out two of the large group campsites and have music, food, beer, demos from several MFG's and guided rides/events. It's an all around good time. That's where I've demo'd the Ripley and a couple of their other models as well.

I say "most likely", because my dad suffered a stroke early in the week. I've taken some half-days at work to visit last night and again this morning. His balance and speech is screwed up, throat paralyzed as well so he can't swallow. The doc ordered a feeding tube that they put in this morning while I was there. Nutrition will help. Still, he didn't die, unlike his father did at his age (also from stroke). Also he is coherent and his personality is in tact, he is quite conversational and I don't have to attenuate my speech at all - his cognition is there. Still, it's rough to see him in such poor shape. He is someone I look to for mentorship, guidance, and friendship. As I've grown into adulthood he's also been a companion of mine and well. Music, hiking/bikes, beers, the occasional joint, that sort of stuff. He was healthy, was blockage/stenosis of an artery that had probably been there a long time, potentially since birth. My feeling about this whole thing have been all over the place from worried, to relieved and back again x1,000.

They are only allowing two unique visitors per day so with my mom going every morning and with other family in rotation over the weekend, I would not be able to see him until early next week. If things look stable tonite after my call with my mom, I may still go on my trip and try my best to have some fun and take a load off up the hill at the trail fest. I will drive separately and have daily scheduled calls so I can jet out of there if there are medical or logistical complications with his care.

In other news, my company just went through an acquisition as well. Things are different on the sales/mkt, operations and C-level side, but for a lowly scientist like myself things are fairly insulated from change. My boss (director level) is the same, which I like. There was a 4x valuation in share price and my wife and I had both been accumulating for 10 or more years each, so that put is in a much more mobile position regarding home purchase or other capital moves. It was obvious they were interested in our diagnostic division (which I am not a part of), so time will tell what this means for me. They just switched me over from gsuite to Outlook so hey, it's getting real haha. They have the sales and marketing engine so if they chose to drive the nanoparticle sales and development portion (the original portion) of the business, it could be really good for me. If not and I get bored, there are retention bonuses in place the next two Decembers and I'd at least "collect and pass go" for the first one. But that is an incentive and I do like my job so we'll see how this plays out.

My wife on the other hand had planned on switching gears, doing some skills/trade schooling (data scientist coding bootcamp) since she's always had an interest and does some of our back end commercial ops web stuff already. So she quit and gave a strategically long notice - like 2+ months, knowing about the acquisition. She had more shares than me too. But, she was immediately courted by the parent company and now works for them for a higher salary! I'm sure the CEO had good things to say about her as she was a confidant of his for anything sales and finance related since the early days. She's doing salesforce admin type stuff, which she preferred over being customer facing in the first place. So that's like the best possible outcome for her!

Sorry for the essay, there is a lot going on. Some bad, some good. Days are going by quickly!

Last edited by TMonk; 10-14-21 at 05:27 PM.
Likes For TMonk:
Old 10-14-21, 06:21 PM
Flatballer
No matches

Originally Posted by TMonk
Glad to hear the bike suggestion went well. On the MTB front, I'll be most likely heading to the "Mount Laguna Trail Fest" an annual SDMBA event. They book out two of the large group campsites and have music, food, beer, demos from several MFG's and guided rides/events. It's an all around good time. That's where I've demo'd the Ripley and a couple of their other models as well.

I say "most likely", because my dad suffered a stroke early in the week. I've taken some half-days at work to visit last night and again this morning. His balance and speech is screwed up, throat paralyzed as well so he can't swallow. The doc ordered a feeding tube that they put in this morning while I was there. Nutrition will help. Still, he didn't die, unlike his father did at his age (also from stroke). Also he is coherent and his personality is in tact, he is quite conversational and I don't have to attenuate my speech at all - his cognition is there. Still, it's rough to see him in such poor shape. He is someone I look to for mentorship, guidance, and friendship. As I've grown into adulthood he's also been a companion of mine and well. Music, hiking/bikes, beers, the occasional joint, that sort of stuff. He was healthy, was blockage/stenosis of an artery that had probably been there a long time, potentially since birth. My feeling about this whole thing have been all over the place from worried, to relieved and back again x1,000.

They are only allowing two unique visitors per day so with my mom going every morning and with other family in rotation over the weekend, I would not be able to see him until early next week. If things look stable tonite after my call with my mom, I may still go on my trip and try my best to have some fun and take a load off up the hill at the trail fest. I will drive separately and have daily scheduled calls so I can jet out of there if there are medical or logistical complications with his care.

In other news, my company just went through an acquisition as well. Things are different on the sales/mkt, operations and C-level side, but for a lowly scientist like myself things are fairly insulated from change. My boss (director level) is the same, which I like. There was a 4x valuation in share price and my wife and I had both been accumulating for 10 or more years each, so that put is in a much more mobile position regarding home purchase or other capital moves. It was obvious they were interested in our diagnostic division (which I am not a part of), so time will tell what this means for me. They just switched me over from gsuite to Outlook so hey, it's getting real haha. They have the sales and marketing engine so if they chose to drive the nanoparticle sales and development portion (the original portion) of the business, it could be really good for me. If not and I get bored, there are retention bonuses in place the next two Decembers and I'd at least "collect and pass go" for the first one. But that is an incentive and I do like my job so we'll see how this plays out.

My wife on the other hand had planned on switching gears, doing some skills/trade schooling (data scientist coding bootcamp) since she's always had an interest and does some of our back end commercial ops web stuff already. So she quit and gave a strategically long notice - like 2+ months, knowing about the acquisition. She had more shares than me too. But, she was immediately courted by the parent company and now works for them for a higher salary! I'm sure the CEO had good things to say about her as she was a confidant of his for anything sales and finance related since the early days. She's doing salesforce admin type stuff, which she preferred over being customer facing in the first place. So that's like the best possible outcome for her!

Sorry for the essay, there is a lot going on. Some bad, some good. Days are going by quickly!
Sorry to hear about your dad. Sounds like you have an amazing relationship.
Likes For Flatballer:
Old 10-14-21, 06:59 PM
TMonk
Not actually Tmonk

Bikes: road, track, mtb

Mentioned: 140 Post(s)
Quoted: 2477 Post(s)
Liked 2,899 Times in 1,541 Posts
Thanks FB, we do.
Old 10-15-21, 05:55 AM
topflightpro

TMonk - Good luck with your father. I hope things work out.

And congratulations to your wife on her promotion.

(One edit on my last post - I should have said YT could get me the bike in about 6 Weeks, not Months.)
Likes For topflightpro:
Old 10-15-21, 03:07 PM
big john

Mentioned: 8 Post(s)
Quoted: 8148 Post(s)
Liked 8,800 Times in 4,368 Posts

Bible Review: YT Izzo | Pro Race | $5,300 | BIKE Magazine
Old 10-15-21, 04:12 PM
Flatballer
No matches

Originally Posted by ntnyln
Flatballer I need an update on the beep. Have you solved it?
The beep had stopped for about 3 months. It has returned with a vengeance. From no beeping whatsoever, to beeping every few minutes again.

We're maybe moving next year, I'm running out of hope that we'll solve it. It's narrowed down to two rooms basically, but somehow still impossible.
Old 10-16-21, 04:16 AM
ntnyln

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Quoted: 79 Post(s)
Liked 153 Times in 72 Posts
Originally Posted by Flatballer
The beep had stopped for about 3 months. It has returned with a vengeance. From no beeping whatsoever, to beeping every few minutes again.

We're maybe moving next year, I'm running out of hope that we'll solve it. It's narrowed down to two rooms basically, but somehow still impossible.
Sounds like your only option is fire...It makes me crazy when my fire detector beeps for a new battery in the middle of the night, so I hope you can keep your sanity.
Old 10-16-21, 05:17 AM
gsteinb
out walking the earth

kid's toy?

seems like time to throw money at it and hire someone to find it
Old 10-16-21, 05:39 AM
Flatballer
No matches

Originally Posted by gsteinb
kid's toy?

seems like time to throw money at it and hire someone to find it
We've certainly considered toy, it's just impossible to locate to even narrow down an area to check. Is that actually something you can hire a pro for? What if it doesn't do it when they come? What is that person called?
Old 10-16-21, 06:01 AM
gsteinb
out walking the earth

Not really a clue. I'd probably call me electrician and tell him it was a smoke detector and just hope it found whatever it is. If I was closer I'd come. I like a challenge. Hell, we just drove past you yesterday on our way back from Florida.
Old 10-16-21, 12:30 PM
Enthalpic
Killing Rabbits

Mentioned: 3 Post(s)
Quoted: 278 Post(s)
Liked 217 Times in 102 Posts
https://www.amazon.com/AnnoyingPCB-U.../dp/B08KG6XHN1

His wife is mad?
Old 10-16-21, 01:54 PM
gsteinb
out walking the earth

that's awesome
Old 10-16-21, 02:03 PM
burnthesheep
Newbie racer

Bikes: Propel, red is faster

Mentioned: 34 Post(s)
Quoted: 1575 Post(s)
Liked 1,566 Times in 973 Posts
Originally Posted by carpediemracing
Ha! Awesome!

Looks like ETA is end of November. Might be enough time to put it in, although it gets pretty cold by then. Apparently it's a one day process. It's going to cost about two Dolan's worth (complete bike, with SRM, 2 disk wheels). I'm looking forward to it. I'm not sure exactly how we'll use it, but the Missus enjoys running and we cannot fit a treadmill in our humble abode. Might work out there. Plus just general hanging out.
Bought "phase 1" today. The storm windows and door. Maybe install windows this afternoon.

This phase can be totally useful/nice for use by all in family. Not just a bike trainer in the corner.
Old 10-16-21, 02:11 PM
Flatballer
No matches

Originally Posted by Enthalpic
It crossed my mind. It would annoy her more than me though, and she's doing a great job acting.

Someone built something similar years ago and would put it in people's cubes. They're surprisingly hard to locate.
Old 10-16-21, 05:54 PM
burnthesheep
Newbie racer

Bikes: Propel, red is faster

Mentioned: 34 Post(s)
Quoted: 1575 Post(s)
Liked 1,566 Times in 973 Posts
Only door left of phase 1. Windows up in 2 hours. Patio windows are easy!

Will buy flooring this week and install. With the patio couches still in there it will fit trainer behind couch and the 42 inch tv on the wall.

Will security lock skewer to trainer and use big cable. For now. Otherwise will have security service come add a door sensor and another glass break to the patio.
Likes For burnthesheep:
Old 10-18-21, 07:39 AM
topflightpro

I did not buy that version. I bought the cheapest version they offer.

Buying a new MTB has been weird. On the one hand, I don't want an expensive, top-of-the-line bike because I know I'm not going to ride it enough to justify the purchase. On the other hand, I don't want to go too entry level because I know enough about bike parts to know that I'm not going to ride a bike I don't like or that doesn't work well. With my gravel bike, I was fine buying one with Apex shifters and heavy wheels. I know those parts will be heavy but will work fine. But with MTBs, you have to consider geometry and suspension parts too, and that's an area I didn't want to cheap out too much.

But yeah, I'd have bought the Ibis, Evil, Revel or Yeti they mentioned if any of them were in my price range. The Ibis aluminum was in my range, but availability is some time by the end of 2022, maybe.
Old 10-18-21, 08:47 AM
big john

Mentioned: 8 Post(s)
Quoted: 8148 Post(s)
Liked 8,800 Times in 4,368 Posts
I did not buy that version. I bought the cheapest version they offer.

Buying a new MTB has been weird. On the one hand, I don't want an expensive, top-of-the-line bike because I know I'm not going to ride it enough to justify the purchase. On the other hand, I don't want to go too entry level because I know enough about bike parts to know that I'm not going to ride a bike I don't like or that doesn't work well. With my gravel bike, I was fine buying one with Apex shifters and heavy wheels. I know those parts will be heavy but will work fine. But with MTBs, you have to consider geometry and suspension parts too, and that's an area I didn't want to cheap out too much.

But yeah, I'd have bought the Ibis, Evil, Revel or Yeti they mentioned if any of them were in my price range. The Ibis aluminum was in my range, but availability is some time by the end of 2022, maybe.
I ride on the road mostly, so I always had cheap mountain bikes. The frame broke on one in 2008 so I bought a new one for $1000. Heavy and odd fitting and a crappy fork, I still had fun with it for 10 years. When I decided to upgrade, the choices were mind boggling. I didn't want to spend 6 or 8 grand and mtb fit is so different from one to another.

I ended up with a KHS enduro type bike because the geometry looked close to what I wanted and my friend was a dealer and he got me a super deal. Had to buy it sight unseen, we couldn't even find one anywhere I could go look at.

I've been pretty happy with it but I would like to try something else. N+1 never ends.

Last edited by big john; 10-18-21 at 08:58 AM.
Likes For big john:
Old 10-18-21, 12:17 PM
cmh

Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Quoted: 140 Post(s)
Liked 327 Times in 161 Posts
Tmonk - I'm just seeing the post about your father. It must be really tough as you are obviously very close. Hoping for a good recovery for him. Take care.
Likes For cmh:
Old 10-19-21, 09:17 AM
carpediemracing 

Originally Posted by burnthesheep
Only door left of phase 1. Windows up in 2 hours. Patio windows are easy!

Will buy flooring this week and install. With the patio couches still in there it will fit trainer behind couch and the 42 inch tv on the wall.

Will security lock skewer to trainer and use big cable. For now. Otherwise will have security service come add a door sensor and another glass break to the patio.
You move quickly!

We won't have any electronics out there, at least not at this point. Hm. I forgot if we got privacy vinyl.

Search this Thread

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.