Go Back  Bike Forums > Bike Forums > Touring
Reload this Page >

Need recommendation for rack for paniers

Notices
Touring Have a dream to ride a bike across your state, across the country, or around the world? Self-contained or fully supported? Trade ideas, adventures, and more in our bicycle touring forum.

Old 10-14-21, 12:55 PM
rbrides
Curmudgeon

Bikes: Specialized Diverge Comp

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 157 Post(s)
Liked 32 Times in 28 Posts

I bought Ortlieb Gravel Pack Pannier set. I can not find a rear rack for it the clamps to the seat post and accommodates disc brakes. Any suggestions? On the racks I have found, the post clamp ones don't accommodate disc brakes or visa versa. Even Ortlieb's rack doesn't. Surprising and frustrating.
Old 10-14-21, 02:25 PM
veloz

Mentioned: 4 Post(s)
Quoted: 83 Post(s)
Liked 64 Times in 48 Posts
Look at the Axiom Streamliner series racks. Axiom also makes seatpost clamps that include upper rack attachment points. The 2 together should solve your problem.
Likes For veloz:
Old 10-14-21, 04:15 PM
Tourist in MSN

Bikes: 1961 Ideor, 1966 Perfekt 3 Speed AB Hub, 1994 Bridgestone MB-6, 2006 Airnimal Joey, 2009 Thorn Sherpa, 2013 Thorn Nomad MkII, 2015 VO Pass Hunter, 2017 Lynskey Backroad, 2017 Raleigh Gran Prix, 1980s Bianchi Mixte on a trainer. Others are now gone.

Mentioned: 47 Post(s)
Quoted: 3418 Post(s)
Liked 1,434 Times in 1,119 Posts
You list the specialized diverge comp as your sole bike under your profile.

Which I find this on the internet

Found another.

EDIT: I have seen those P clips on carbon frames before, so I assumed they were safe. But, I defer to Staehpj1 who has more carbon experience than I have (I have none). Do not use them or if you use them get advice first from someone other than me. [I left the rest of my posting unchanged, I only added this paragraph.]

From the photos it looks like there is a rack mounting point on the rear dropout. You should be able to use just about any rack if you use P clips to strap around the seatstays. By P clips, I mean something like this:
https://www.homedepot.com/p/0-75-in-...1575/202875639

They come in different sizes, I just guessed at 3/4" for your bike.

I used some P clips like that to put an old Rhode Gear rack on my road bike. Two P clips, one on each seat stay and a rack mounting point on each dropout.

Last edited by Tourist in MSN; 10-15-21 at 10:11 AM.
Likes For Tourist in MSN:
Old 10-14-21, 06:20 PM
Atlas Shrugged

Mentioned: 7 Post(s)
Quoted: 1191 Post(s)
Liked 1,257 Times in 643 Posts
I have the current Diverge and the had the previous generation Diverge. I also use the Ortlieb Gravel Pack Panniers. Not sure if you are aware that Specialized makes a seatpost clamp which also has threads for rack mount. I use a Tubus Logo Evo rack without issues. No special clearance is required for disc brakes or mounting clamps. Good Luck.
Likes For Atlas Shrugged:
Old 10-15-21, 04:29 AM
staehpj1

Quoted: 1234 Post(s)
Liked 741 Times in 552 Posts
I wouldn't advise using p-clamps on a carbon frame. That seatpost clamp with threads for rack mount looks like the way to go assuming it is available and fits your frame.

I have often advised using the brake bridge hole as a top mount, but these days bikes are increasingly lacking them. I have also used canti bosses, but again they are not present.

If you hadn't already purchased panniers I might have suggested that you consider whether you might be happy with a rackless system. They work out well for some riders.
Old 10-15-21, 06:36 AM
djb

Mentioned: 33 Post(s)
Quoted: 2725 Post(s)
Liked 948 Times in 781 Posts
The seatpost clamp with holes works well, also take into account that near the dropouts and caliper, often using some spacers will take care of minor issues of rack getting in way of caliper. Don't have your bike in front of me but any good experienced mechanic will help you figure out a way.

* As stae said, NEVER use p clamps on carbon.
Likes For djb:
Old 10-15-21, 09:18 AM
robow

Mentioned: 14 Post(s)
Quoted: 595 Post(s)
Liked 277 Times in 188 Posts
Does that seat post clamp above only offer one attachment point for the rack ? Would love to see the other side. If so, I definitely would want the Axiom Trekk Seat Collar w/Rack Eyelets which has 2 attachment points.
Likes For robow:
Old 10-15-21, 01:03 PM
Doug64

Mentioned: 31 Post(s)
Quoted: 1181 Post(s)
Liked 822 Times in 430 Posts
I believe this is a Problem Solver seatpost clamp on my wife's road bike. The frame is a 50 cm which cuased some challenges. If you are using pannieers, heal strike might be a problem with the short chainstays.

I made custom panniers with a lot of taper on the forward side. We did not carry much weight. my trek is in the back. I made both sets of panniers.

This was on one of her older road bikes, but it was the same setup

Last edited by Doug64; 10-15-21 at 01:55 PM.
Likes For Doug64:
Old 10-15-21, 02:25 PM
staehpj1

I'd be a bit leary of addig a collar on the post other that the one that is holding it in the frame since I believe that bike has a carbon seat post. The Specialized one a few posats above looks like it was designed for the bike and if so would be the way to go.
Likes For staehpj1:
Old 10-15-21, 04:38 PM
cyccommute 
Mad bike riding scientist

Bikes: Some silver ones, a red one, a black and orange one, and a few titanium ones

Mentioned: 149 Post(s)
Tagged: 1 Thread(s)
Quoted: 6133 Post(s)
Liked 4,067 Times in 2,310 Posts
Originally Posted by Doug64
I believe this is a Problem Solver seatpost clamp on my wife's road bike. The frame is a 50 cm which cuased some challenges. If you are using pannieers, heal strike might be a problem with the short chainstays.

I made custom panniers with a lot of taper on the forward side. We did not carry much weight. my trek is in the back. I made both sets of panniers.

This was on one of her older road bikes, but it was the same setup
You are using that seat collar wrong. It’s meant to replace the original seatpost collar. I’ve had to use them on my wife’s tiny bikes because the rack stays are too short for the distance to the braze-ons. You can see below in the first picture that I could only use one stay because it interfered with the brakes.

With the seat collar, I can use both stays.

Here’s another one

DSCN1059 by Stuart Black, on Flickr

On our tandem I can’t even get the stays near the braze-ons, even with long stays.

I also agree that I wouldn’t clamp something to a carbon post. But a seat collar wouldn’t be a problem.
Gold Fever Three days of dirt in Colorado
Pokin' around the Poconos A cold ride around Lake Erie
Dinosaurs in Colorado A mountain bike guide to the Purgatory Canyon dinosaur trackway
Solo Without Pie. The search for pie in the Midwest.
Picking the Scablands. Washington and Oregon, 2005. Pie and spiders on the Columbia River!

Likes For cyccommute:
Old 10-16-21, 04:55 AM
staehpj1

Originally Posted by cyccommute
I also agree that I wouldn’t clamp something to a carbon post. But a seat collar wouldn’t be a problem.
That pretty much sums it up. I agree that the seatpost collar looks like the way go if you want a rack on the Diverge Comp or other carbon frame with no built in top mount points.
Likes For staehpj1:
Old 10-16-21, 09:26 PM
Doug64

Mentioned: 31 Post(s)
Quoted: 1181 Post(s)
Liked 822 Times in 430 Posts
Originally Posted by cyccommute
You are using that seat collar wrong. It’s meant to replace the original seatpost collar. I’ve had to use them on my wife’s tiny bikes because the rack stays are too short for the distance to the braze-ons. You can see below in the first picture that I could only use one stay because it interfered with the brakes..
Stuart, I used the seatpost clamp in a way that it was not intended on purpose. The seatpost clamp was not compatible with her bike. I can't remember if it was the seatpost or the diameter of the top tube that was the issue; it was 20+ years ago, and it was what I had on hand. I modified the clamp and used a spacer. The set up worked well and posed no danger to the bike or rider.

Last edited by Doug64; 10-17-21 at 10:47 AM.
Likes For Doug64:
Old 10-20-21, 02:05 PM
rbrides
Curmudgeon

This is exactly what I need!! Thanks. You have the same bike and panniers I have. I don't have the Tubus Logo Evo rack. Maybe I'll get that, given your +++ comments. Thank you.
Old 10-20-21, 02:05 PM
rbrides
Curmudgeon

Originally Posted by Atlas Shrugged
I have the current Diverge and the had the previous generation Diverge. I also use the Ortlieb Gravel Pack Panniers. Not sure if you are aware that Specialized makes a seatpost clamp which also has threads for rack mount. I use a Tubus Logo Evo rack without issues. No special clearance is required for disc brakes or mounting clamps. Good Luck.
This is exactly what I need!! Thanks. You have the same bike and panniers I have. I don't have the Tubus Logo Evo rack. Maybe I'll get that, given your +++ comments. Thank you.
Old 10-21-21, 10:15 AM
doubravsky 

Bikes: Colnago Crystal, GT MTB, Fuji D6 TT bike, Breezer Beltway commuter

Quoted: 35 Post(s)
Liked 13 Times in 9 Posts
Its a costlier option, but the Tailfin rack system works really well for this. I use it on my Diverge. Comes with a thru-axle that the rack connects to, and has a connector for the seatpost that works well with carbon seatposts.

Likes For doubravsky: