Go Back  Bike Forums > Bike Forums > Hybrid Bicycles
Reload this Page >

Sirrus 6.0 vs. Trek FX 6.0

Notices
Hybrid Bicycles Where else would you go to discuss these fun, versatile bikes?

Old 08-29-21, 10:53 AM
Double

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 3 Post(s)
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts

Hi. I would greatly appreciate help deciding between the Sirrus 6.0 and the Trek FX 6.0. I have ridden a Sirrus in the past and loved it but it is currently hard to find. I ride mostly road but live in the country and have some uneven surfaces as well. On paper both of these look similar (carbon frame/fork, Shimano 105, flat bar, etc.) so not sure what the differences are and why there is an $800 price difference. Thank you!
Old 08-30-21, 07:21 AM
Double

Quoted: 3 Post(s)
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
BUMP...
Hi, I know there are a lot of this vs. that conversations already but would really appreciate any responses. Thank you in advance!
Old 08-30-21, 09:07 AM
badger1

Mentioned: 22 Post(s)
Quoted: 1562 Post(s)
Liked 1,148 Times in 587 Posts
The problem is that it's very unlikely many on here have ridden, or are even familiar with, either bike -- let alone both.

We can speculate based on paper specs, but that really doesn't tell anyone much. I have a carbon Sirrus -- now called the 5.0 -- for example, but haven't ridden either the Sirrus 6.0 version (though same frameset as mine) or the Trek FX 6 Sport. On paper, the two are much of a muchness: full carbon frameset (Trek probably made by Giant, with rear isospeed decoupler; Specialized made by Merida with Future Shock at the front [as on mine]); hydraulic discs; 2x11 drivetrain.

They will fit slightly differently and weigh about the same. On paper, in favour of the Trek imo is the full 105 drivetrain, but that's just me. The only other thing would be that significant price differential (if it still holds).

Both would be fine for the riding you describe.
Old 09-08-21, 05:56 PM
DarkSkyHUnter

Quoted: 10 Post(s)
Liked 6 Times in 6 Posts
I'm not sure why the Sirrus 6.0 is $3,000. It better be a 15 pound bike, which I highly doubt it is.

On paper the FX 6 is the faster bike. The lower stack and longer reach will get you more aero and better leveraging.
https://99spokes.com/compare?bikes=t...20;*z.MD|w.700

I'd save the $800 and use it to buy better accessories: Saddle, grips, inner barends, clipless pedals, cleats, longer stem, etc.

For reference I'm averaging 20+ mph and keeping up with A Group Roadies on my FX.
Old 09-08-21, 07:05 PM
travbikeman

Bikes: State 4130 Custom, Giant Trance 29

Mentioned: 7 Post(s)
Quoted: 416 Post(s)
Liked 172 Times in 117 Posts
Comparing the specs on both bikes:

Sirrus has the new future shock, where as the FX does not.
Sirrus has DT Swiss rims, FX has Bontrager....Can't tell you if one is better than the other, but I'm more familiar with DT Swiss and believe they typically command a higher price for their products.
Sirrus has the Shimano Mt bike hydro brakes, where as the FX has road/hybrid oriented Tektro brakes. I have both the Shimano and Tektro's on my bikes, they both work well and are both inexpensive.
Sirrus has a carbon seat post, FX alloy.

Nothing against Microshift, I own some of their products and they are good. But am bit confused why Specialized mixed up a groupset by using a different shifter and crank on a $3000 bike.
The FX with a full 105 groupset should have been on the Sirrus for this price range.

So that is up to those whom have the money, is the 4 listed items above that might make the Sirrus a better bike worth spending $1000?

Personally I would go for the FX....but that is my opinion.....
Likes For travbikeman:
Old 09-08-21, 11:59 PM
Prodigy4299

Bikes: 1990 Trek 850, 2005 Cannondale R1000, 2019 Cannondale Topstone 105

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 26 Post(s)
Liked 35 Times in 21 Posts
For me, the draw of hybrid bikes is you can get them under $1000 with good components. If my budget was where yours is, I'd much rather go for something like a gravel bike, which will be equally comfortable, but also lighter and potentially faster (depending on how you set it up).
Old 09-11-21, 10:25 AM
bmbcolin

Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Hybrids

Originally Posted by badger1
The problem is that it's very unlikely many on here have ridden, or are even familiar with, either bike -- let alone both.

We can speculate based on paper specs, but that really doesn't tell anyone much. I have a carbon Sirrus -- now called the 5.0 -- for example, but haven't ridden either the Sirrus 6.0 version (though same frameset as mine) or the Trek FX 6 Sport. On paper, the two are much of a muchness: full carbon frameset (Trek probably made by Giant, with rear isospeed decoupler; Specialized made by Merida with Future Shock at the front [as on mine]); hydraulic discs; 2x11 drivetrain.

They will fit slightly differently and weigh about the same. On paper, in favour of the Trek imo is the full 105 drivetrain, but that's just me. The only other thing would be that significant price differential (if it still holds).

Both would be fine for the riding you describe.
I have a Cirrus Sport Disc - Hybrid bike, which I purchased in 2004, I've always kept it serviced and in shed...so it's still in great shape. But I plan to start doing some rails to trails tours and was thinking about getting new hybrid in similar price range and bike style...($650)...any thoughts on what and IF I should buy a newer replacement bike??