Go Back  Bike Forums > Bike Forums > Classic & Vintage
Reload this Page >

What have you been wrenching on lately?

Search
Notices
Classic & Vintage This forum is to discuss the many aspects of classic and vintage bicycles, including musclebikes, lightweights, middleweights, hi-wheelers, bone-shakers, safety bikes and much more.

What have you been wrenching on lately?

Search this Thread

Old 07-31-22, 09:32 AM
52telecaster
ambulatory senior

Bikes: Austro Daimler modified by Gugie! Raleigh Professional and lots of other bikes.

Mentioned: 76 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 1955 Post(s)
Liked 3,661 Times in 1,679 Posts
Originally Posted by Andy_K
I put parts on my red Gitane Friday night for a Saturday test ride. Before I got too far, I had my junior mechanic check it out for basic viability.

Ezra checks out the Gitane (click for video)

I'm still trying to convince myself this frame fits. It's definitely on the small side. It's fine when I'm riding it, but that's a lot of stem.

If I keep it around, I'd be looking for a black stem and saddle. If not, I'll be looking for another red bike to put this 105 drivetrain on.
Ezra looks quite like the budding wrench.
Likes For 52telecaster:
Old 07-31-22, 09:57 AM
Mr. 66

Mentioned: 39 Post(s)
Quoted: 1140 Post(s)
Liked 1,736 Times in 957 Posts
Andy_K, a bike stand in the living room...

You are the man!
Likes For Mr. 66:
Old 07-31-22, 03:20 PM
Andy_K 

Bikes: Yes

Mentioned: 525 Post(s)
Quoted: 3230 Post(s)
Liked 3,868 Times in 1,439 Posts
Originally Posted by Mr. 66
Andy_K, a bike stand in the living room...

You are the man!
It was too hot to work in the garage, and my wife wasn’t home to tell me she wasn’t happy about it.
Old 07-31-22, 04:36 PM
steine13

Bikes: See my albums. I find that listing them here messes up searching.

Mentioned: 4 Post(s)
Quoted: 140 Post(s)
Liked 319 Times in 142 Posts
>> It was too hot to work in the garage, and my wife wasn’t home to tell me she wasn’t happy about it.

Lol right?

Did that last year when Madame was out of town, except in the kitchen.
That is not a good move unless you're all alone, but it's got hands-down the best light in our house.

On Topic: shown below is was my "wrenching" last night. By some miracle, the campus bike shop had hoods for the old Dia Compes off my new-to-me 1978 Trek 710 in stock.
It's mostly because the guy runs the place is a fan of vintage bikes AND a hopeless romantic.

I've decided to ride the Trek as it sits, but I'll have to upgrade the 40 cm handlebar that is more like 38 at the hoods.
Bars I've got, but the stem is the wrong clamp size, and too short.
Time to invest in yet another Technomic; the days of having the bar 4" below the saddle are over.
And viola -- instant Chino/Eroica bike.

So far, patient scraping seems to work well enough. Is there a trick for this job?

cheers -mathias

Old 07-31-22, 04:43 PM
m.c. 

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 110 Post(s)
Liked 111 Times in 62 Posts
I found a NOS Schwinn Short Rack and installed it on my Suburban. I think I over tightened it and bend the mount a little. I'm trying to figure out what the spring loaded part is for. I've only ever seen bags that clip on the sides.
Old 07-31-22, 06:12 PM
JohnDThompson 
Old fart

Bikes: Several, mostly not name brands.

Mentioned: 153 Post(s)
Quoted: 3587 Post(s)
Liked 3,400 Times in 1,934 Posts
Originally Posted by steine13
By some miracle, the campus bike shop had hoods for the old Dia Compes off my new-to-me 1978 Trek 710 in stock.
It's mostly because the guy runs the place is a fan of vintage bikes AND a hopeless romantic.

[…]

So far, patient scraping seems to work well enough. Is there a trick for this job?

Household ammonia solution will dissolve gum rubber. Might be quicker than scraping, if you can stand the smell. Maybe drop the levers in a sealed bucket with ammonia for a while and see what's left of the rubber later.

N.B. if you try to wrestle the new hoods on over the lever blades, there's a strong possibility that you'll tear the hoods. Remove the levers from the bars (you can leave the anchor bolts on the bars if you want; just remove the nut securing the lever body to the anchor and pull the lever off the anchor). Then install the new hoods from behind, rather than over the lever blade. Much safer that way.
Old 07-31-22, 06:22 PM
steine13

JohnDThompson
Thanks! I'll give the ammonia a shot to do a final cleanup of the remnants. I know we keep some around. And I did remove the levers and got most of the crud off, and the new hoods mounted fine. They're Cane Creek.

I also got Soma campy replacement hoods for my 87 Triomphe levers... beautiful fit, rather thin, sticky feeling, but just fine once mounted. I'll post pictures when (if?) i finally get my ST600 shipshape.
Old 07-31-22, 06:23 PM
merziac

Bikes: Merz x 5 + Specialized Merz Allez x 2, Strawberry/Newlands/DiNucci/Ti x3, Gordon, Fuso/Moulton x2, Bornstein, Paisley,1958-74 Paramounts x3, 3rensho, 74 Moto TC, 73-78 Raleigh Pro's x5, Marinoni x2, 1960 Cinelli SC, 1980 Bianchi SC, PX-10 X 2

Mentioned: 267 Post(s)
Quoted: 4510 Post(s)
Liked 6,377 Times in 3,667 Posts
Originally Posted by Andy_K
It was too hot to work in the garage, and my wife wasn’t home to tell me she wasn’t happy about it.
AND you had supervisory staff approval so, all good.
Old 08-01-22, 05:29 AM
jdawginsc 
Edumacator

Bikes: '87 Crestdale, '87 Basso Gap, '92 Rossin Performance EL-OS, 1990 VanTuyl, 1980s Losa, 1985 Trek 670, 1982 AD SLE, 1987 PX10, etc...

Mentioned: 59 Post(s)
Quoted: 2436 Post(s)
Liked 3,119 Times in 1,962 Posts
You’re fortunate that it only the hoods. I had various hoods, glues and something else melted into the inner workings.

Wish I knew the ammonia trick before tossing the levers into the “to be gotten rid of bin.”

Originally Posted by steine13
>> It was too hot to work in the garage, and my wife wasn’t home to tell me she wasn’t happy about it.

Lol right?

Did that last year when Madame was out of town, except in the kitchen.
That is not a good move unless you're all alone, but it's got hands-down the best light in our house.

On Topic: shown below is was my "wrenching" last night. By some miracle, the campus bike shop had hoods for the old Dia Compes off my new-to-me 1978 Trek 710 in stock.

I've decided to ride the Trek as it sits, but I'll have to upgrade the 40 cm handlebar that is more like 38 at the hoods.
Bars I've got, but the stem is the wrong clamp size, and too short.
Time to invest in yet another Technomic; the days of having the bar 4" below the saddle are over.
And viola -- instant Chino/Eroica bike.

cheers -mathias

1987 Crest Cannondale, 1987 Basso Gap, 1992 Rossin Performance EL, 1990ish Van Tuyl, 1985 Trek 670, 1982 AD SLE, 2003 Pinarello Surprise, 1990ish MBK Atlantique, 1987 Peugeot Competition, 1987 Nishiki Tri-A, 1981 Faggin, 1996 Cannondale M500, 1984 Mercian, 1982 AD SuperLeicht, 1985 Massi (model unknown), 1988 Daccordi Griffe , 1989 Fauxsin MTB, 1981 Ciocc Mockba, 1992 Bianchi Giro, 1977 Colnago Super

Old 08-02-22, 12:17 PM
daverup 

Bikes: A bunch of old bikes.

Mentioned: 7 Post(s)
Quoted: 278 Post(s)
Liked 869 Times in 416 Posts
Just finished up changing the double front crankset on my Lemond Buenos Aires over to the triple version. Changed crankset, BB, front and rear Derailleurs.

Likes For daverup:
Old 08-02-22, 05:47 PM
steine13

@JohnDThompson said it:

>> Household ammonia solution will dissolve gum rubber.

And it worked like a charm, with a little added elbow grease. Submerged overnight in a weak solution -- didn't measure, maybe 2 to 5 % of whatever came in the bottle plus water to cover -- and this is how the levers now look.

Thanks again!
cheers -mathias

Last edited by steine13; 08-02-22 at 05:51 PM. Reason: add text to picture
Old 08-03-22, 10:39 AM
capnjonny 

Bikes: Miyata 610(66cm), GT Vantara Hybrid (64cm), Nishiki International (64cm), Peugeot rat rod (62 cm), Trek 800 Burning Man helicopter bike, Bob Jackson frame (to be restored?) plus a never ending stream of neglected waifs from the Bike exchange.

Mentioned: 28 Post(s)
Quoted: 339 Post(s)
Liked 632 Times in 229 Posts
Trek 620 gentleman's Express cruiser build

I just finished building up this Trek from a frame donated to the Bike Exchange and it is a beauty, Everything on the bike except the cables, covers, and cassette is a used / donated part. It has a 9 spd. Sunrace 11-28 tooth cassette and a 42 tooth chainring for both good low and high range. Hopefully we will find a tall buyer eager to acquire this

gem.
Likes For capnjonny:
Old 08-03-22, 12:14 PM
etherhuffer 

Bikes: Surly Long Haul Trucker,81 Fuji Gran Tour SE, 83 Fuji S12S LTD, Voyageur 11.8 chrome, Raleigh R300 Touring, Voyageur 11.8

Mentioned: 8 Post(s)
Quoted: 283 Post(s)
Liked 502 Times in 228 Posts

Wrenching on odds and ends, but this was my score of the week. I have limited space but needed a drill press. 40 bucks, like new, from a garage sale. And a Foredom grinder for 10 bucks! Still needs a control unit but I can run it full power via a small DC converter if needed. Time to get some bosses, a torch and go ruin a fork! Hahaha.
Likes For etherhuffer:
Old 08-03-22, 02:47 PM
steve21108

Bikes: Dunelt 3 Spd (hub date 1964); 2 Raleigh (early 70s) Grand Prix converted to SA AW; 76 Raleigh Rampar converted to SA AW; Raleigh Super Course fixed; Raysport; 2003 Trek XO1; Jamis Aurora; Jamis Expat; Bianchi Posts (S3X); 1985 Ross Mt Hood; Univega;

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Quoted: 12 Post(s)
Liked 13 Times in 7 Posts
Handlebar Message

Hey Paul! Sorry, your bike got scrapped, but I need the bars and stem. Sir Walter is watching over it all.
Hey Paul! Sorry, your bike got scrapped, but I need the bars and stem. Sir Walter is watching over it all.
Likes For steve21108:
Old 08-03-22, 03:31 PM
non-fixie 
Shifting is fun!

Bikes: Yes, please.

Mentioned: 280 Post(s)
Quoted: 2197 Post(s)
Liked 4,599 Times in 1,764 Posts
There was really no need (except for the brake pads) to replace anything on this recent build, as I was pretty happy with how it rode, but I did so anyway.

"New" stem, bars, brifters, brakes, crank set, wheel and tires. Braking has improved markedly, and the rest didn't get worse, so I am happy.

Old 08-03-22, 04:48 PM
curbtender

Bikes: Miyata 618 GT, Marinoni, Kestral 200 2002 Trek 5200, KHS Flite, Koga Miyata, Schwinn Spitfire 5, Mondia Special, Univega Alpina, Miyata team Ti, Santa Cruz Highball

Mentioned: 52 Post(s)
Quoted: 1607 Post(s)
Liked 2,586 Times in 1,222 Posts
Saving a fixed conversion. Of all bikes, why? Getting stickers off...

Likes For curbtender:
Old 08-04-22, 02:25 PM
VintageSteelEU

Bikes: Motobecane C41, Matsu$hita Nashonaru

Quoted: 215 Post(s)
Liked 430 Times in 252 Posts
Originally Posted by curbtender
Saving a fixed conversion. Of all bikes, why? Getting stickers off...
Got to say I don't quite feel the need to have fixed gear bicycle. On one level, I get it's the simplest, bare bones experience, though on another level, can't say I understand the reasoning. But conversions seem a bit of an abomination to me. I've seen a lovely Motobecane Team Champion (despite being sold as Grand Record, I think, though it was 100% C5 or Team Champion) converted to a fixie with a flat bar. Sadly, too small for me, otherwise would already own it, because the frame was in a good shape.
Anyhow, it's a lovely bike you've got here. And it looks like paint is in a very good condition, it will turn out great, I think. How are you removing the stickers?
Old 08-04-22, 02:36 PM
Kai Winters

Bikes: Specialized Aethos, Specialized Diverge Comp E5

Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Quoted: 241 Post(s)
Liked 453 Times in 264 Posts
A trike...a cheap a ss internet purchase trike that was missing parts, nuts and bolts, etc, has scrapes and scratches all over it both from manufacturer's craptastic boxing and the idiot who thought he could build it and realized he was out of his depth. So we got it and it came up next when I was ready for my next repair. I almost cherry picked over it because I knew it would be a royal pain in the arse but I decided to take it on...what the hell.
I was able to find the parts I needed, that was easy, what was interesting and scary is the rear brake. It is a drum brake and the "pad" is a 3/8 wide by 3" long piece of leather that is pulled against the drum when you pull the brake lever. It works, kinda/sorta, but likely won't once it gets all nice and shiny from use.
It also has a rear bench seat which makes it roughly 6 feet long.
It is a single speed, whew, easy to set up.
Once I finished it and took it for a test ride I was surprised that it was actually kind of fun to ride around on as long as there are no hills and you aren't in a hurry to go anywhere.
Old 08-04-22, 03:11 PM
cstar 

Quoted: 26 Post(s)
Liked 42 Times in 14 Posts
Finally finished rehabbing my '79 Windsor Carrera. I took every last piece of this thing apart and cleaned and re lubed it. The freshly greased and adjusted Sansin hubs will spin for days. Oddly enough, the Suntour freewheel body had too many shims from the factory. It was the loosest one I've ever seen. I fully disassembled the cogs and body, removed the extra shims, and added 1 ball bearing. Thoroughly cleaned, re lubed, and adjusted to have the tiniest hair of play. There's nothing better than the feeling of bearings that you've personally adjusted to perfection. Also honed the seat tube for a super smooth finish. It's not the lightest bike but is a very soft and smooth riding frame with a quick front end. The 25.8mm seatpost and 21.1 stem suggest it may be high ten, though catalogs suggest it was straight gauge chromoly. Though I have seen these features on crmo frames. I doubt there's really any way to know for sure. None the less I rather like it. The factory chain is rather hefty and shifts poorly so I think I will use a new KMC 6-7-8 speed chain for a crisper shifting experience.

Old 08-04-22, 03:57 PM
VintageSteelEU

Originally Posted by cstar
Finally finished rehabbing my '79 Windsor Carrera. I took every last piece of this thing apart and cleaned and re lubed it. The freshly greased and adjusted Sansin hubs will spin for days. Oddly enough, the Suntour freewheel body had too many shims from the factory. It was the loosest one I've ever seen. I fully disassembled the cogs and body, removed the extra shims, and added 1 ball bearing. Thoroughly cleaned, re lubed, and adjusted to have the tiniest hair of play. There's nothing better than the feeling of bearings that you've personally adjusted to perfection. Also honed the seat tube for a super smooth finish. It's not the lightest bike but is a very soft and smooth riding frame with a quick front end. The 25.8mm seatpost and 21.1 stem suggest it may be high ten, though catalogs suggest it was straight gauge chromoly. Though I have seen these features on crmo frames. I doubt there's really any way to know for sure. None the less I rather like it. The factory chain is rather hefty and shifts poorly so I think I will use a new KMC 6-7-8 speed chain for a crisper shifting experience.
Or Wipperman 708. Same price, better chain (in my opinion)
Old 08-04-22, 04:24 PM
Mad Honk 

Bikes: Paramount, Faggin, Ochsner, Ciocc, Basso

Mentioned: 116 Post(s)
Quoted: 1303 Post(s)
Liked 1,910 Times in 1,140 Posts
I was once again reminded why I work on my own bikes today. A wheel picked up from my Co-Op had a reasonable MA40 rim and a record hub. Pulled the hub apart and found some black moly lube and short one bearing on each side. Cleaning the moly lube went OK but the races and cones will need to be checked for damage by running too few bearings. That old adage of filling with the bearings and then removing one got me again. I'm pretty sure the wheel will be OK for use, and will be paired with an MA40 on a low flange front from Sammie at Old Spokes Home to get a matched pair for my Ciocc build. Smiles, MH
Likes For Mad Honk:
Old 08-04-22, 05:28 PM
curbtender

Bikes: Miyata 618 GT, Marinoni, Kestral 200 2002 Trek 5200, KHS Flite, Koga Miyata, Schwinn Spitfire 5, Mondia Special, Univega Alpina, Miyata team Ti, Santa Cruz Highball

Mentioned: 52 Post(s)
Quoted: 1607 Post(s)
Liked 2,586 Times in 1,222 Posts
Originally Posted by VintageSteelEU
Got to say I don't quite feel the need to have fixed gear bicycle. On one level, I get it's the simplest, bare bones experience, though on another level, can't say I understand the reasoning. But conversions seem a bit of an abomination to me. I've seen a lovely Motobecane Team Champion (despite being sold as Grand Record, I think, though it was 100% C5 or Team Champion) converted to a fixie with a flat bar. Sadly, too small for me, otherwise would already own it, because the frame was in a good shape.
Anyhow, it's a lovely bike you've got here. And it looks like paint is in a very good condition, it will turn out great, I think. How are you removing the stickers?
Most peeled easily and remnants came off with goo gone. That Bebop sticker is going to be a challenge. It is a thick, vinyl reflective material. Thinking I could wrap it with a rag and pour boiling water on it to release the adhesive. Got a better idea?
Old 08-04-22, 05:47 PM
Mad Honk 

Bikes: Paramount, Faggin, Ochsner, Ciocc, Basso

Mentioned: 116 Post(s)
Quoted: 1303 Post(s)
Liked 1,910 Times in 1,140 Posts
curbtender,
Most sticker adhesives soften with some heat and since the material is vinyl it should peel right off. Goo Gone or Go Jo hand cleaner should clean up the adhesive without damaging the paint. Smiles, MH
Old 08-04-22, 05:57 PM
VintageSteelEU

Most peeled easily and remnants came off with goo gone. That Bebop sticker is going to be a challenge. It is a thick, vinyl reflective material. Thinking I could wrap it with a rag and pour boiling water on it to release the adhesive. Got a better idea?
I'd probably try low power heat gun / hair dryer. I think you might have more control over the heat application than with the boiling water.
Old 08-04-22, 06:05 PM
cstar 

Quoted: 26 Post(s)
Liked 42 Times in 14 Posts
I have had decent luck with a heat gun and an old debit card to pick thick stickers off. It takes some effort but it's not horrible. There are decal remover wheels that you can use in a drill that allegedly make very short work of this sort of thing. Ive seen videos of people using them to remove vinyl pinstripe of cars. Been meaning to try one. Pretty cheap to buy online

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.