Go Back  Bike Forums > Bike Forums > Road Cycling
Reload this Page >

Am I a ******bag on my bike sometimes?

Search
Notices
Road Cycling “It is by riding a bicycle that you learn the contours of a country best, since you have to sweat up the hills and coast down them. Thus you remember them as they actually are, while in a motor car only a high hill impresses you, and you have no such accurate remembrance of country you have driven through as you gain by riding a bicycle.” -- Ernest Hemingway

Am I a ******bag on my bike sometimes?

Search this Thread

Old 08-25-22, 09:30 AM
Bah Humbug
serious cyclist

Bikes: S1, R2, P2

Mentioned: 115 Post(s)
Tagged: 1 Thread(s)
Quoted: 9334 Post(s)
Liked 3,679 Times in 2,026 Posts
Originally Posted by big john
My ex had this problem. She would always pass the fastest car on the freeway. If she was going 70 and someone cruised by at 75, she would pass them back. I don't even think it was a conscious thing. When we moved and her commute was a longer freeway drive she got 4 speeding tickets in like 6 months. Our insurance went through the roof and she had to do traffic school and community service. She seemed to get the message, finally.

Now, people routinely drive 75-80 on our local freeways. It's insane.
Those people drive me nuts when I'm doing my long drives. Sit on cruise control and constantly have to get by them.
Old 08-25-22, 09:48 AM
Mojo31
-------

Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 9653 Post(s)
Liked 6,365 Times in 3,505 Posts
My ex had this problem. She would always pass the fastest car on the freeway. If she was going 70 and someone cruised by at 75, she would pass them back. I don't even think it was a conscious thing. When we moved and her commute was a longer freeway drive she got 4 speeding tickets in like 6 months. Our insurance went through the roof and she had to do traffic school and community service. She seemed to get the message, finally.

Our local freeways all have 70-75 mph speed limits. That means people are driving 80 to 85 in a lot of places. It gets hairy really fast when there are people out there who do not know how to drive that fast, and there are an awful lot of those.

We were on some roads last weekend with 80 and 85 limits, and saw quite a few running around 100 mph. That's scary.
Old 08-25-22, 10:55 AM
big john

Mentioned: 8 Post(s)
Quoted: 8274 Post(s)
Liked 9,030 Times in 4,470 Posts
Originally Posted by Mojo31
Our local freeways all have 70-75 mph speed limits. That means people are driving 80 to 85 in a lot of places. It gets hairy really fast when there are people out there who do not know how to drive that fast, and there are an awful lot of those.

We were on some roads last weekend with 80 and 85 limits, and saw quite a few running around 100 mph. That's scary.
California is 65 statewide with a few exceptions @70. To have people who don't know what they are doing going 80 or higher on the freeways in the city is a recipe for disaster.
Old 08-25-22, 11:07 AM
Eric F 
Habitual User

Bikes: 2023 Niner RLT 9 RDO, 2018 Trek Procaliber 9.9 RSL, 2018 Storck Fascenario.3 Platinum, 2003 Time VX Special Pro, 2001 Colnago VIP, 1999 Trek 9900 singlespeed, 1977 Nishiki ONP

Mentioned: 5 Post(s)
Quoted: 4940 Post(s)
Liked 8,080 Times in 3,821 Posts

My typical freeway travel is 80mph in the left lane, which is usually the same as everyone else is going.
Old 08-25-22, 11:11 AM
big john

Originally Posted by Eric F
My typical freeway travel is 80mph in the left lane, which is usually the same as everyone else is going.
It can be done safely but people are cray cray.
Old 08-25-22, 11:27 AM
Eric F 
Habitual User

Bikes: 2023 Niner RLT 9 RDO, 2018 Trek Procaliber 9.9 RSL, 2018 Storck Fascenario.3 Platinum, 2003 Time VX Special Pro, 2001 Colnago VIP, 1999 Trek 9900 singlespeed, 1977 Nishiki ONP

Mentioned: 5 Post(s)
Quoted: 4940 Post(s)
Liked 8,080 Times in 3,821 Posts
It can be done safely but people are cray cray.
Agreed. My 80mph isn't bobbing and weaving through gaps. If the surrounding vehicles aren't traveling at a similar cruising speed, I adjust accordingly.
Old 08-25-22, 11:46 AM
jonathanf2

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Quoted: 446 Post(s)
Liked 1,043 Times in 441 Posts
Originally Posted by Broctoon
So I sometimes like to try passing other riders. Often, I can pull it off. (Not always.) I’m not smug about it. I don’t gloat or grin at them. Most of them probably don’t care or even pay any attention to me. But I wonder.

Years ago, someone on the forums read a post from a guy who described doing the same thing and replied “Yeah, nothing cooler than beating other riders who aren’t racing.” He’s being sarcastic, and he’s (sarcastically) right.

I just have a little competitive streak, and I find I can push myself harder during a workout if I lock onto a target a quarter mile or so ahead and commit to passing him. If I notice someone approaching me from behind, I try to keep my lead on him.

Not trying to troll here. I’m sincerely interested in your take on this tendency of mine. What do you say?
You're the type of riders I like! As long as there's no negativity, I enjoy the increase in pace. Sometimes I get dropped by riders who are stronger, other times I'm the one doing the dropping. When I do get dropped I'm encouraged to train harder and become faster. One thing I learned is that cycling is a sport of attrition, if you're hurting so is the other rider. It's all about who can tolerate the pain better.

I once caught up to a a strong rider with a good uphill climb lead with maybe 1/2 a mile (I could see him from the bottom hillside), so I picked up the pace to catch up to him. When I finally reached him, he didn't want to lose his lead to someone who came out of nowhere. My original intention was just to catch up to him, but he ended up picking up the pace so we both went all out on the climb. By the time we hit the switchback he conceded by pulling off fatigued while gasping for air. We waved each other off, had a few friendly words and it was all good vibes. I finished the climb to the summit, but by the time I reached the top, my heart felt like it was about to burst!

To me that's what cycling is all about!
Old 08-25-22, 12:25 PM
urbanknight
Over the hill

Bikes: Giant Defy, Giant Revolt

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 996 Post(s)
Liked 1,204 Times in 690 Posts
Originally Posted by hazetguy
KOM can be won regardless of the category of the hill. Get to the top of that 1% grade first? Consider it a KOM.
A couple of weeks ago, I was grinding up what I considered a "modest climb" when someone pulled up beside me and said "These false flats are demoralizing" and then droped the hammer and left me behind. Looked at my computer to see it was a 4% gradient and couldn't decide if the guy was humble bragging or if I was being a wimp.
Old 08-25-22, 12:27 PM
urbanknight
Over the hill

Originally Posted by Caliwild
I don't mind if people pass me, but I'd appreciate a "good morning" or "great day, huh?" I'm usually riding really early in the morning so if someone passes me (and I can tell they're just trying to prove themselves), I just say "GOOD MORNING" as loud as I can. It startles them and amuses me... Yeah, I know it's childish but oh well...
I say something like "Good morning!", but what seems like me being friendly is just me making sure they know I'm there, and I'm too stubborn to mount a bell or horn.
Old 08-25-22, 12:39 PM
Carbonfiberboy 
just another gosling

Bikes: CoMo Speedster 2003, Trek 5200, CAAD 9, Fred 2004

Quoted: 3886 Post(s)
Liked 1,938 Times in 1,383 Posts
Out on a long ride, sometimes I'll start to see another rider ahead of me. Sometimes it's not a mailbox. I'll very gradually overtake them, maybe 1-2 mph. When I get up there and pass them, I'll pull over a couple feet in front of them, offering my wheel, which they could certainly take and go a little faster. They never do. They gradually disappear behind me. Eh. On our tandem if we start to catch another bike, Stoker will say, "Not quarry!" but we'll catch them anyway.

I don't get the issue. If I or we are faster than another bike and overtake them, of course we'll pass and of course they won't be able to keep up unless they grab a wheel. Maybe riders are just a lot saner out here in the bucolic PNW.
Old 08-25-22, 12:49 PM
genejockey 
Klaatu..Verata..Necktie?

Bikes: Litespeed Ultimate, Ultegra; Canyon Endurace, 105; Battaglin MAX, Chorus; Bianchi 928 Veloce; Ritchey Road Logic, Dura Ace; Cannondale R500 RX100; Schwinn Circuit, Sante; Lotus Supreme, Dura Ace

Mentioned: 41 Post(s)
Quoted: 10419 Post(s)
Liked 11,880 Times in 6,086 Posts
Originally Posted by Eric F
If you want to use a rider up the road as a rabbit, and add that dimension to your ride, go for it. There's really no harm being done. Just don't be an @$$ about it. Honestly, my first instinct on a bike is to make it competitive, even if I'm only competing with my own PR. Riding for the simple joy of rolling down the road under your own power is something I'm learning how to do.
I do that a lot, for fun and exercise. Last night I spent 2 miles catching a guy who started out 50 yards ahead then got farther away. Eventually I caught up to close enough that I could have put in an almighty effort and passed him but since I was finishing my ride within half a mile, I didn't bother.

One time, another rider passed me, and said, "I'm gonna slow up in about 15 seconds. I'm on a workout, I don't want you to think I'm being a jerk!" That was nice of him.

"Everybody's gotta be somewhere." - Eccles
Old 08-25-22, 01:07 PM
urbanknight
Over the hill

Originally Posted by genejockey
One time, another rider passed me, and said, "I'm gonna slow up in about 15 seconds. I'm on a workout, I don't want you to think I'm being a jerk!" That was nice of him.
That's nice, but my mind would still have Phil Liggett's voice saying, "Oh, he doesn't have it in him! He's hit a wall and Urban Knight is on the attack!"
Old 08-25-22, 01:13 PM
VegasJen

Mentioned: 3 Post(s)
Quoted: 861 Post(s)
Liked 553 Times in 299 Posts
Originally Posted by MoAlpha
I agree it’s unconscious. There’s something about the state of complete mindlessness which many drivers seem to inhabit which allows the visual cortex direct neural access to the flexors of the right ankle. The key to this understanding is that they slow down to 62 mph, as soon as they’re past you and the stimulus is gone.
I cannot stand when people pull up and drive right next to me. Especially out here where there are literally dozens of miles of open highway between towns. Give me some space. You just never know what's going to happen.

On a couple of occasions I have even pulled off to the shoulder or on an exit to get someone to GTFO my door.
Old 08-25-22, 01:20 PM
Bah Humbug
serious cyclist

Originally Posted by VegasJen
I cannot stand when people pull up and drive right next to me. Especially out here where there are literally dozens of miles of open highway between towns. Give me some space. You just never know what's going to happen.

On a couple of occasions I have even pulled off to the shoulder or on an exit to get someone to GTFO my door.
Also fun are the people who either sit in your blind spot or stop once you’re in theirs.
Old 08-25-22, 01:22 PM
caloso

Bikes: Specialized Tarmac, Canyon Exceed, Specialized Transition, Ellsworth Roots, Ridley Excalibur

Mentioned: 68 Post(s)
Quoted: 2952 Post(s)
Liked 3,106 Times in 1,417 Posts
I do that a lot, for fun and exercise. Last night I spent 2 miles catching a guy who started out 50 yards ahead then got farther away. Eventually I caught up to close enough that I could have put in an almighty effort and passed him but since I was finishing my ride within half a mile, I didn't bother.

I've done a version of this where I was doing an interval set where I kept riding up to the wheel of a woman riding a steady pace. I didn't want her to think I was creeping on her, so I yelled "Sorry, I'm just doing intervals!"
Old 08-25-22, 01:28 PM
genejockey 
Klaatu..Verata..Necktie?

Bikes: Litespeed Ultimate, Ultegra; Canyon Endurace, 105; Battaglin MAX, Chorus; Bianchi 928 Veloce; Ritchey Road Logic, Dura Ace; Cannondale R500 RX100; Schwinn Circuit, Sante; Lotus Supreme, Dura Ace

Originally Posted by urbanknight
That's nice, but my mind would still have Phil Liggett's voice saying, "Oh, he doesn't have it in him! He's hit a wall and Urban Knight is on the attack!"
"The elastic has broken!"

A month or so ago, I had one of those days where you feel like a Cycling God. You know, those rare days when every time you call down to the legs for more steam, they have no difficulty complying? So I was on this ~3% gradient with a couple stoplights. Turning onto the road, I passed a couple other riders. Then I was stopped at a light, and they caught up with me. I had a hard time clipping in on starting up so they gapped me a little bit, but I passed them again. This happened maybe twice more. The last time, some guy on an old Kestrel says something like, "It's nice when the bike does the work for you!" After I had dropped him for the last time, it occurred to me that maybe he thought I was on an e-bike. Nope. Just a really good day for the legs.

Likes For genejockey:
Old 08-25-22, 01:34 PM
genejockey 
Klaatu..Verata..Necktie?

After I got the Challenger I noticed a lot more people speeding up as I passed them on the freeway, sometimes passing me. Didn't happen nearly as often when I was driving a Subaru Outback - which I drove at the same speed. I noticed that men driving Priuses were overrepresented in the 'gotta pass you' group.

Likes For genejockey:
Old 08-25-22, 01:34 PM
urbanknight
Over the hill

A month or so ago, I had one of those days where you feel like a Cycling God. You know, those rare days when every time you call down to the legs for more steam, they have no difficulty complying? So I was on this ~3% gradient with a couple stoplights. Turning onto the road, I passed a couple other riders. Then I was stopped at a light, and they caught up with me. I had a hard time clipping in on starting up so they gapped me a little bit, but I passed them again. This happened maybe twice more. The last time, some guy on an old Kestrel says something like, "It's nice when the bike does the work for you!" After I had dropped him for the last time, it occurred to me that maybe he thought I was on an e-bike. Nope. Just a really good day for the legs.
"He's got something special"
Old 08-25-22, 01:36 PM
genejockey 
Klaatu..Verata..Necktie?

Originally Posted by urbanknight
"He's got something special"
The problem with the "Cycling God" days is I know that there will also be the "Cycling Dog" days where you feel like you're really pushing hard and you look down and you're going slower than usual on that segment.

Likes For genejockey:
Old 08-25-22, 02:10 PM
Bah Humbug
serious cyclist

There was one day in high school cross country when I could suddenly keep up with the rest of the team. Where did it come from? No idea unfortunately... and the next morning I was literally holding my eyelids up in front of the light because it had taken so much out of me I could barely get out of bed.
Old 08-25-22, 03:24 PM
Mojo31
-------

Quoted: 9653 Post(s)
Liked 6,365 Times in 3,505 Posts
After I got the Challenger I noticed a lot more people speeding up as I passed them on the freeway, sometimes passing me. Didn't happen nearly as often when I was driving a Subaru Outback - which I drove at the same speed. I noticed that men driving Priuses were overrepresented in the 'gotta pass you' group.
Around here they all want to hyper-mile in the left lane which means you can't get around them in the right lane since those people are all texting. Obnoxious little dooshes.
Old 08-25-22, 03:53 PM
big john

Originally Posted by caloso
so I yelled "Sorry, I'm just doing intervals!"
And she said "Is that what you kids are calling it these days?"
Likes For big john:
Old 08-29-22, 09:06 PM
MAK

Bikes: Yes, I have bikes.

Quoted: 276 Post(s)
Liked 106 Times in 65 Posts

Was she singing "Hot Rod Lincoln" when she passed the other car?
Old 08-29-22, 09:11 PM
MAK

Bikes: Yes, I have bikes.

Quoted: 276 Post(s)
Liked 106 Times in 65 Posts
Originally Posted by Broctoon
So I sometimes like to try passing other riders. Often, I can pull it off. (Not always.) I’m not smug about it. I don’t gloat or grin at them. Most of them probably don’t care or even pay any attention to me. But I wonder.

Years ago, someone on the forums read a post from a guy who described doing the same thing and replied “Yeah, nothing cooler than beating other riders who aren’t racing.” He’s being sarcastic, and he’s (sarcastically) right.

I just have a little competitive streak, and I find I can push myself harder during a workout if I lock onto a target a quarter mile or so ahead and commit to passing him. If I notice someone approaching me from behind, I try to keep my lead on him.

Not trying to troll here. I’m sincerely interested in your take on this tendency of mine. What do you say?
I too only win races when the other rider doesn't know that it's a race.
As long as you announce, "On your left" before passing him or her, I doubt that anyone would care.
Old 08-29-22, 09:28 PM
big john

Originally Posted by MAK
Was she singing "Hot Rod Lincoln" when she passed the other car?
Told her she was gonna drive me to drinkin'.
Likes For big john:

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.