Go Back  Bike Forums > Bike Forums > Road Cycling
Reload this Page >

Addiction 2022.3

Search
Notices
Road Cycling “It is by riding a bicycle that you learn the contours of a country best, since you have to sweat up the hills and coast down them. Thus you remember them as they actually are, while in a motor car only a high hill impresses you, and you have no such accurate remembrance of country you have driven through as you gain by riding a bicycle.” -- Ernest Hemingway

Addiction 2022.3

Search this Thread

Old 08-26-22, 10:35 AM
bampilot06

Bikes: Madone, Emonda, 5500, Ritchey Breakaway

Mentioned: 3 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 10236 Post(s)
Liked 5,183 Times in 2,225 Posts
Originally Posted by ls01
Do you think it will help?

Well I was trying to give the driver constructive criticism, he even rolled his window down to listen. I think all he got was a bunch of expletives. Probably lost in translation.
Old 08-26-22, 10:36 AM
bampilot06

You may, but I doubt if you could match the bounce.

100 pounds heavier ago I could.
Old 08-26-22, 10:38 AM
genejockey 
Klaatu..Verata..Necktie?

Bikes: Litespeed Ultimate, Ultegra; Canyon Endurace, 105; Battaglin MAX, Chorus; Bianchi 928 Veloce; Ritchey Road Logic, Dura Ace; Cannondale R500 RX100; Schwinn Circuit, Sante; Lotus Supreme, Dura Ace

Mentioned: 41 Post(s)
Quoted: 10421 Post(s)
Liked 11,882 Times in 6,088 Posts
Yelling at motorists is a waste of time ( I know I can't believe I'm saying it either) They enjoy it. It let's them know they have elicited the reaction they wanted. They are bullies, they wanted to scare you, when you yell they know they did scare you. Give them the finger instead. That tells them I know what you were trying to do, you failed, and you, Sir, may go intercourse yourself.
Do it calmly, and as deliberately as possible. It gets the point across. And is less stressing on yourself.
Alternatively, if they pass you and yell "Get off the road!" or similar, give them a friendly wave and yell, "HI!!" as if you thought they'd been offering a friendly greeting. Nothing more frustrating for someone trying to intimidate you than thinking you took the exact opposite message.

"Everybody's gotta be somewhere." - Eccles
Old 08-26-22, 10:41 AM
bampilot06

Originally Posted by genejockey
Alternatively, if they pass you and yell "Get off the road!" or similar, give them a friendly wave and yell, "HI!!" as if you thought they'd been offering a friendly greeting. Nothing more frustrating for someone trying to intimidate you than thinking you took the exact opposite message.

Im actually usually really good at that, but when you purposely try to kill me or someone in my group then we have a problem.
Likes For bampilot06:
Old 08-26-22, 10:42 AM
Eric F 
Habitual User

Bikes: 2023 Niner RLT 9 RDO, 2018 Trek Procaliber 9.9 RSL, 2018 Storck Fascenario.3 Platinum, 2003 Time VX Special Pro, 2001 Colnago VIP, 1999 Trek 9900 singlespeed, 1977 Nishiki ONP

Mentioned: 5 Post(s)
Quoted: 4941 Post(s)
Liked 8,081 Times in 3,822 Posts
This is my typical reaction. It amuses me. It amuses me even more if it confuses them.
Old 08-26-22, 10:49 AM
ls01
he said member

Bikes: yes please

Mentioned: 4 Post(s)
Quoted: 2789 Post(s)
Liked 1,951 Times in 1,207 Posts
I rode the assenmacher 100 on Sunday. Was forecasted for rain, 93%. But I had paid for it, so I was riding. The rain ended as I pulled into the parking area. Didn't rain another drop all day. Dried out around mile 40. Turned sunny around mile 55. Crashed around mile 73. Turned in to the last rest stop for water, just a bit too hot. Front wheel slid right out from under me on the gravel driveway. The bike is fine. The brake levers were scratched up, but I filled in the scratches with thin c/a glue, sanded them out and shot 2 coats of clear urethane on them. They look better than new now. I did have to straighten the bars, stem and seat, a couple times to finish the ride. Road rash on left knee and lower left leg. I managed to get my hands down before impact so I didnt get hurt but I was awfully sore on Monday. Had to skip the Tuesday night ride but rode a solo 42 on Wednesday. Been quite a week! 5 hours and 15 minutes 102 miles

Last edited by ls01; 08-26-22 at 10:58 AM.
Likes For ls01:
Old 08-26-22, 10:50 AM
LesterOfPuppets
cowboy, steel horse, etc

Bikes: everywhere

Mentioned: 71 Post(s)
Tagged: 1 Thread(s)
Quoted: 12762 Post(s)
Liked 7,675 Times in 4,072 Posts
Tough one

Wordle 433 5/6

⬛⬛⬛🟨⬛
⬛🟨⬛🟩⬛
⬛🟩🟩🟩⬛
⬛🟩🟩🟩🟩
🟩🟩🟩🟩🟩
Old 08-26-22, 10:50 AM
genejockey 
Klaatu..Verata..Necktie?

Bikes: Litespeed Ultimate, Ultegra; Canyon Endurace, 105; Battaglin MAX, Chorus; Bianchi 928 Veloce; Ritchey Road Logic, Dura Ace; Cannondale R500 RX100; Schwinn Circuit, Sante; Lotus Supreme, Dura Ace

Originally Posted by bampilot06
Im actually usually really good at that, but when you purposely try to kill me or someone in my group then we have a problem.
There is that.

Old 08-26-22, 10:52 AM
ls01
he said member

I wave like a mentally handicapped Forrest Gump who just saw Lutenant Dan. This is especially effective for people who blow thier horns in anger. Really confuses them. I can get a pretty good laugh from the group if I add a sugary sweet, " people out here are so friendly...."

Last edited by ls01; 08-26-22 at 11:05 AM.
Likes For ls01:
Old 08-26-22, 10:57 AM
ls01
he said member

Originally Posted by big john
I don't know whether to laugh or cry or both...
Likes For ls01:
Old 08-26-22, 11:08 AM
genejockey 
Klaatu..Verata..Necktie?

Time and gravity come for us all.

Old 08-26-22, 11:27 AM
big john

Mentioned: 8 Post(s)
Quoted: 8275 Post(s)
Liked 9,031 Times in 4,471 Posts
Time and gravity come for us all.
and cheesecake, apparently
Likes For big john:
Old 08-26-22, 11:28 AM
genejockey 
Klaatu..Verata..Necktie?

I got a real feeling of deja vu on last night's ride. Cañada Road, heading North from Woodside, has about 2 miles of about 2% gradient, with 2 stop signs. Wednesday, I had slowed to almost a dead stop at the first one - because The Fuzz like to stake out the stop signs and ticket cyclists who blow through them - when a younger, skinnier guy in dark kit blows by me, having not even slowed at the stop. He got a pretty good gap on me while I was starting up again, so I used him as a rabbit, and even though I also nearly stopped at the second sign, I came within 5 bike lengths by the top of the climb. I stayed there the remaining 1/2 mile or so to where I'd parked because it would be a real dick move to sprint past him only to turn off. It was fun. I don't even know whether he knew I was there.

Last night, I slow to a stop at the same stop sign, and again, a younger, skinnier guy shoots past me and gaps me before I have a chance to get going again. Same result, although this time I noticed that the gap was pretty constant till the steepest part of the grade, where he seemed to slow a bit. I remembered he'd done that the day before, too.

I'll be interested to see if he's there tonight.

Old 08-26-22, 11:29 AM
genejockey 
Klaatu..Verata..Necktie?

Yeah. I'd still....you know.

Old 08-26-22, 11:36 AM
big john

Yeah. I'd still....you know.
She's only 54 now, so she could return to hotness if she chose. Her choice.
Old 08-26-22, 11:38 AM
genejockey 
Klaatu..Verata..Necktie?

The thing is, from my own experience I know how easy it is to just gain a lot of weight, and how much work it is not to. So I'm less inclined to judge. I've noticed a lot of actresses tend to gain a lot of weight as they leave the "pretty young thing" category, and it makes me think they'd spent a whole lot of time and energy for a good 20 years or more staying skinny, and it must be an enormous relief not to have to do that anymore.

Old 08-26-22, 11:50 AM
big john

The thing is, from my own experience I know how easy it is to just gain a lot of weight, and how much work it is not to. So I'm less inclined to judge. I've noticed a lot of actresses tend to gain a lot of weight as they leave the "pretty young thing" category, and it makes me think they'd spent a whole lot of time and energy for a good 20 years or more staying skinny, and it must be an enormous relief not to have to do that anymore.
I agree completely. I've been 60 pounds heavier than I am now and I know yo-yo dieters who go way up and back down.

Although from the standpoint of a regular guy, not blessed with good looks, a hawt body, or game, I just think if I was a star or sex symbol I might try to hang on to it. Lots of them do, some don't, and some get into substance abuse or other mental illness.

They all can't be cycling gods like we are, right?
Old 08-26-22, 11:56 AM
Bah Humbug
serious cyclist

Bikes: S1, R2, P2

Mentioned: 115 Post(s)
Quoted: 9334 Post(s)
Liked 3,679 Times in 2,026 Posts
If I do it shirtless does it make it less disgusting?
Absolutely. Nothing worse than taking off a soaked shirt.
Old 08-26-22, 12:09 PM
datlas 
Should Be More Popular

Bikes: 1986 Alpine (steel road bike), 2009 Ti Habenero, 2013 Specialized Roubaix

Mentioned: 560 Post(s)
Tagged: 2 Thread(s)
Quoted: 22590 Post(s)
Liked 8,924 Times in 4,157 Posts
I got a real feeling of deja vu on last night's ride. Cañada Road, heading North from Woodside, has about 2 miles of about 2% gradient, with 2 stop signs. Wednesday, I had slowed to almost a dead stop at the first one - because The Fuzz like to stake out the stop signs and ticket cyclists who blow through them - when a younger, skinnier guy in dark kit blows by me, having not even slowed at the stop. He got a pretty good gap on me while I was starting up again, so I used him as a rabbit, and even though I also nearly stopped at the second sign, I came within 5 bike lengths by the top of the climb. I stayed there the remaining 1/2 mile or so to where I'd parked because it would be a real dick move to sprint past him only to turn off. It was fun. I don't even know whether he knew I was there.

Last night, I slow to a stop at the same stop sign, and again, a younger, skinnier guy shoots past me and gaps me before I have a chance to get going again. Same result, although this time I noticed that the gap was pretty constant till the steepest part of the grade, where he seemed to slow a bit. I remembered he'd done that the day before, too.

I'll be interested to see if he's there tonight.
Extra kudos for NOT being a dooshbag.
Old 08-26-22, 12:13 PM
genejockey 
Klaatu..Verata..Necktie?

I agree completely. I've been 60 pounds heavier than I am now and I know yo-yo dieters who go way up and back down.

Although from the standpoint of a regular guy, not blessed with good looks, a hawt body, or game, I just think if I was a star or sex symbol I might try to hang on to it. Lots of them do, some don't, and some get into substance abuse or other mental illness.

They all can't be cycling gods like we are, right?
It makes me wonder about the genetics involved. There was a girl I dated in college, who at that age was what I'd call "voluptuous", not fat or even chubby. A little over optimum weight, but fetchingly distributed. I saw her again at 30, and she had probably gained 100 lbs. It was shocking. And she gained more since. By contrast, Mrs. GeneJockey gained maybe 65 lbs from her college weight and subsequently shed about 35 of it. She didn't have to work that hard at losing it either, so it was more like she'd had to work hard to GAIN the weight.

So, I wonder about the other girl. Could she have stayed at her college weight by a strict regimen of diet and exercise? How much work would it have taken? And this relates to the aging actresses who gain a lot of weight, versus those who don't, because I wonder how many of them are holding off weight gain through enormous effort and once they stop the effort they gain a lot, versus some who are just naturally thinner, so they didn't have to put in the effort in the first place.

The genetic/epigenetic basis of weight gain interests me. As I might have said before, my 4 older siblings are all slender, but they don't diet. My Dad was a rail as a kid, and never really gained weight, and he ate like a horse and didn't exercise a lot. But my nearest sister and I - both skinny as kids - gained a lot of weight in our 30s-60s, unlike our older siblings, and I wonder why.

Last edited by genejockey; 08-26-22 at 12:31 PM.
Likes For genejockey:
Old 08-26-22, 12:13 PM
Trsnrtr
Super Modest

Bikes: Trek Emonda, Giant Propel, Colnago V3, Co-Motion Supremo, ICE VTX WC

Mentioned: 107 Post(s)
Quoted: 10963 Post(s)
Liked 4,620 Times in 2,123 Posts
which way is the wind blowing.
Northeast wind. She’s no dummy. Anyway, I figured out what was happening when she kept asking me how far to this town and how far to that town. I could tell we were going to get 65-70 miles. We sometimes do a birthday ride about now and I was 71 a couple months ago and she’ll be 71 in a couple months, so a 71 miler made sense and she admitted it.

We’re 50 miles in at the moment.

Last edited by Trsnrtr; 08-26-22 at 04:27 PM.
Likes For Trsnrtr:
Old 08-26-22, 12:16 PM
datlas 
Should Be More Popular

Bikes: 1986 Alpine (steel road bike), 2009 Ti Habenero, 2013 Specialized Roubaix

Mentioned: 560 Post(s)
Tagged: 2 Thread(s)
Quoted: 22590 Post(s)
Liked 8,924 Times in 4,157 Posts
It makes me wonder about the genetics involved. There was a girl I dated in college, who at that age was what I'd call "voluptuous", not fat or even chubby. A little over optimum weight, but fetchingly distributed. I saw her again at 30, and she had probably gained 100 lbs. It was shocking. And she gained more since. By contrast, Mrs. GeneJockey gained maybe 65 lbs from her college weight and subsequently shed about 35 of it. She didn't have to work that hard at losing it either, so it was more like she'd had to work hard to GAIN the weight.

So, I wonder about the other girl. Could she have stayed at her college weight by a strict regimen of diet and exercise? How much work would it have taken? And this relates to the aging actresses who gain a lot of weight, versus those who don't, because I wonder how many of them are holding off weight gain through enormous effort and once the stop the effort they gain a lot, versus some who are just naturally thinner, so they didn't have to put in the effort in the first place.

The genetic/epigenetic basis of weight gain interests me. As I might have said before, my 4 older siblings are all slender, but they don't diet. My Dad was a rail as a kid, and never really gained weight, and he ate like a horse and didn't exercise a lot. But my nearest sister and I - both skinny as kids - gained a lot of weight in our 30s-60s, unlike our older siblings, and I wonder why.
Too many variables including genetic and behavioral and environmental and psychological to say.

Mrs datlas and I are lucky in this regard. We both weigh roughly the same as when we were in college even though we are both 57.
Old 08-26-22, 12:19 PM
genejockey 
Klaatu..Verata..Necktie?

Originally Posted by datlas
Extra kudos for NOT being a dooshbag.
Thanks! I try not to be That Guy.

Likes For genejockey:
Old 08-26-22, 12:21 PM
genejockey 
Klaatu..Verata..Necktie?

Originally Posted by datlas
Too many variables including genetic and behavioral and environmental and psychological to say.

Mrs datlas and I are lucky in this regard. We both weigh roughly the same as when we were in college even though we are both 57.
Lordy, ain't that the truth! I mean, a lot of folks gained weight during the Pandemic, but Mrs. GJ and I LOST weight. And it's not like it was a less stressful time!

Old 08-26-22, 12:22 PM
Mojo31
-------

Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Quoted: 9653 Post(s)
Liked 6,365 Times in 3,505 Posts
Neither. Try cropping.

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.