Go Back  Bike Forums > Bike Forums > Winter Cycling
Reload this Page >

Waterproof thermal bibs?

Notices
Winter Cycling Don't let snow and ice discourage you this winter. The key element to year-round cycling is proper attire! Check out this winter cycling forum to chat with other ice bike fanatics.

Waterproof thermal bibs?

Old 11-03-22, 05:33 PM
fooferdoggie 

Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 679 Post(s)
Liked 945 Times in 552 Posts
Waterproof thermal bibs?

right now I have fairly warm bibs non padded so I wear padded underwear and then those on top. but I have to bring rain pants along as I never know if it will or will not rain. but it would be nice to have all in one s oI don't have to do so much work to get dressed and not dressed.
https://www.gorewear.com/us/en-us/sp...BoCHNIQAvD_BwE
got has this but it wont really keep me from getting wet if it really rains. it can be 33 degrees and rain.
Old 11-04-22, 08:02 AM
pdlamb

Bikes: Fuji Touring, Novara Randonee

Mentioned: 36 Post(s)
Quoted: 2575 Post(s)
Liked 1,900 Times in 1,192 Posts
33F with wind and rain is pretty much the nadir of cycling.

FWIW, I've done a fair few miles in that kind of weather with medium pile tights. For a 10 mile (45 minute) commute, that works fine for me. More than that? I'm not likely to repeat that brevet in that kind of weather, but I lived through it with just one control and snack lunch before it stopped raining. I save my thermal wind block / waterproof tights for below 15F; anything warmer than that ends up making me colder because I start sweating.

As always, YMMV.
Old 11-04-22, 09:09 AM
rumrunn6

Bikes: Bottecchia Sprint, GT Timberline 29r, Marin Muirwoods 29er, Trek FX Alpha 7.0

Mentioned: 112 Post(s)
Quoted: 5218 Post(s)
Liked 3,564 Times in 2,331 Posts
I'm not a bib user, so maybe I can't help, but

for surprises, I have thin rain pants for hikers which can fold up small & get slid on quickly if conditions change from what I expected

but if I know to expect cold rain or wet snow, that calls for my hard core stuff. basically cycling specific storm pants (by "Showers Pass" brand), under which I have various cycling pants to choose from. thin lined tri-shorts are always my base. between the shorts & storm pants, I choose a middle layer such as very thin running tights, or my regular cycling pants, or some thin fleece tights that I sometimes use as winter pajamas

they key for me, with dressing for rain, is what will the temperature be. I like to protect myself from the outside moisture (rain or snow, etc) but not at the expense of my thermal comfort, so choosing the right middle layer becomes my challenge

the fewer layers, the better. my Novara Headwind cycling pants are good enough in very light rain for an hour or so

Last edited by rumrunn6; 11-04-22 at 03:53 PM.
Likes For rumrunn6:
Old 11-04-22, 09:54 AM
SpedFast
Just Pedaling

Bikes: YEP!

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Quoted: 313 Post(s)
Liked 491 Times in 325 Posts
I too wear light rain pants over tights that are over my riding shorts,. But if it's going to be really cold and possibly snowing, out come the ski pants. They're not 100% water proof, but they breathe and I don't sweat nearly as much in them as I do in the rain pants.
Likes For SpedFast:
Old 11-04-22, 10:00 AM
GhostRider62

Mentioned: 6 Post(s)
Quoted: 2332 Post(s)
Liked 2,094 Times in 1,311 Posts
Having been a long distance tourer, randonneur, and ultra endurance racer, I have had to ride in that miserable 33F hard rain many times for an entire day or week.

Showers Pass helmet cover with the neck drape.

A thin merino, synthetic, or my favorite is yak beenie. A thin neck gator

It might be possible that there are warm and waterproof tights, I've tried that in the past but my preference is Merino wool tights or legwarmers with Showerspass Elite rain pant or I have another pair from another Mfg that are beefier. A ShowersPass Elite rain jacket is borderline for me in those conditions but it is light and paired with layering options, it works. Feet and hands are another whole long set of words. Bottom line, I think 33F and rain needs two or three layers. If I knew I was going to be out such conditions, I would likely have Bib shorts, merino leg warmers, midweight tights and membrane type pair of rain pants. I carry that all the time at this time of year.
Old 11-04-22, 10:02 AM
fooferdoggie 

the thing is I never know whats going to happen. I hate to have to stop and put on my rain pants. I don't like wearing them unless I have to. the weather is so changeable. for commuting I have some chrome pants that the legs are waterproof and fleece lined pants that are waterproof when it gets into the lower 30's. but I don't want to ride on long rides wearing them. but three layers on bottom makes it a bear to pee and walking around.
Likes For fooferdoggie:
Old 11-04-22, 10:13 AM
GhostRider62

Mentioned: 6 Post(s)
Quoted: 2332 Post(s)
Liked 2,094 Times in 1,311 Posts
Originally Posted by fooferdoggie
the thing is I never know whats going to happen. I hate to have to stop and put on my rain pants. I don't like wearing them unless I have to. the weather is so changeable. for commuting I have some chrome pants that the legs are waterproof and fleece lined pants that are waterproof when it gets into the lower 30's. but I don't want to ride on long rides wearing them. but three layers on bottom makes it a bear to pee and walking around.
Have fun getting hypothermia. Hating to stop to put rain pants on or the challenge of peeing tells me you ain't never did much riding in such adverse conditions like when it is raining and cold, you won't be drinking much and you will thank your lucky stars to have rain pants in your bag. You have a bag to carry foul weather gear?
Old 11-04-22, 10:26 AM
fooferdoggie 

Originally Posted by GhostRider62
Have fun getting hypothermia. Hating to stop to put rain pants on or the challenge of peeing tells me you ain't never did much riding in such adverse conditions like when it is raining and cold, you won't be drinking much and you will thank your lucky stars to have rain pants in your bag. You have a bag to carry foul weather gear?
I don't ride in the rain? I live in the PNW and as long as there is no ice or snow on the ground I ride. Here is a ride 33 degrees on Christmas eve morning and the third ride of the day on Monday on our tandem. thats the thing I ride all the time in the rain and I want to be more comfortable. this year I invested in higher end gore-tex jackets and gloves because my showerspass stuff could not handle all of the rain rides and would get wet because they don't dry out fast enough. Yes I carry a bag just for clothing but I never know what the weather is going to be and what time we will ride so trying not to drink does not always work. I don't drink while riding but sometimes I have to go sometimes I can go 3 or 4 hours but having three layers on underneath is just not the greatest thing. I don't have an issue keeping warm and not really keeping dry. but I would like to do it in the most practical way possible. the longest rain ride we had was in the middle of winter and was 40 miles. not sure on the temp around 40 degrees.

Last edited by fooferdoggie; 11-04-22 at 11:02 AM.
Likes For fooferdoggie:
Old 11-04-22, 03:46 PM
rumrunn6

Bikes: Bottecchia Sprint, GT Timberline 29r, Marin Muirwoods 29er, Trek FX Alpha 7.0

Originally Posted by SpedFast
I too wear light rain pants over tights that are over my riding shorts,. But if it's going to be really cold and possibly snowing, out come the ski pants. They're not 100% water proof, but they breathe and I don't sweat nearly as much in them as I do in the rain pants.
one winter I commuted in some thin ski pants (not like the heavy snow boarding pants). put reflective tape over them. they worked great

also used them for recreational rides. took the reflective tape off a cpl yrs ago

Last edited by rumrunn6; 11-13-22 at 05:02 PM.
Likes For rumrunn6:
Old 11-05-22, 12:01 PM
SpedFast
Just Pedaling

Bikes: YEP!

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Quoted: 313 Post(s)
Liked 491 Times in 325 Posts
Originally Posted by rumrunn6
one winter I commuted in some thin ski pants (not like the heavy snow boarding pants). put reflective tape over them. they worked great
Yeah, I wasn't referring to snoboarding pants. Those suckers are so stiff I don't how kids walk in them much less ride a bike. haha
Likes For SpedFast:
Old 11-10-22, 09:33 AM
Hypno Toad
meh

Bikes: 23 Cutthroat, 21 CoMotion Java; 21 Bianchi Infinito; 15 Surly Pugsley; 11 Globe Daily; 09 Kona Dew Drop; 96 Mondonico

Mentioned: 22 Post(s)
Quoted: 1109 Post(s)
Liked 1,011 Times in 518 Posts
Originally Posted by GhostRider62
This comment makes me think you never ride in cold/wet conditions. I do drink in the cold/wet conditions and my bladder shrinks too, so I need to stop for pee breaks when it's cold and rainy.

One of many pics I can post for reference: The 2017 Almanzo 100 with temps around 40F and steady rain, this Toad is on the drop-bar fatbike on the right of the pic

Photo credit - David Phillips / Spring Valley Tribune
Likes For Hypno Toad:
Old 11-10-22, 09:36 AM
Hypno Toad
meh

Bikes: 23 Cutthroat, 21 CoMotion Java; 21 Bianchi Infinito; 15 Surly Pugsley; 11 Globe Daily; 09 Kona Dew Drop; 96 Mondonico

Mentioned: 22 Post(s)
Quoted: 1109 Post(s)
Liked 1,011 Times in 518 Posts
Back when I had a daily commute (I've been WFH since '16), I loved my O2 Rainwear pants, they keep you dry and warm, but breath to keep you from basting in your own sweat ... and they hold up to a lot of hard miles/years.
Old 11-10-22, 11:39 AM
fooferdoggie 

one thing I forgot is.so many clothes on my bottom makes it hard to get my leg over the tandem. so having three layers on bottom besides the hassle makes it hard to pee and get on and off the tandem. this is the way I am going. it will keep me warm and take care of the rain and they are padded so all in one.
https://www.castelli-cycling.com/US/...522_010_52_3XL
Old 11-10-22, 12:09 PM
rumrunn6

I guess it's impossible to make cycling bibs with fly for peeing
Likes For rumrunn6:
Old 11-12-22, 11:32 AM
Steamer
Zircon Encrusted Tweezers

Mentioned: 5 Post(s)
Quoted: 260 Post(s)
Liked 127 Times in 82 Posts
Rainlegs over thermal tights. Can be rolled up or down quickly.
Old 11-12-22, 11:52 AM
CliffordK

Mentioned: 217 Post(s)
Quoted: 18320 Post(s)
Liked 4,488 Times in 3,337 Posts
Waterproof thermal bibs?
That just sounds nasty

Quite a few years ago I needed a rain jacket, so I decided to try my boating Paddle Jacket. Seals around the wrists, neck, waist.

Went for my 5 mile or so hill climb commute.

I was drenched from the inside. Soaked and smelly!!!

Never did that again.

So for me... rain pants on the bottom, and a rain jacket with a LOT OF VENTILATION on the top.

It is possible that one needs less ventilation on the legs. And, you're looking at gore-tex which should be breathable. But, I'm still suspicious.

I don't wear bibs a lot. And that is probably where your layering issue lies. With regular pants and rain pants, it only takes seconds to get stripped down to use the facilities.
Old 11-12-22, 08:06 PM
ZIPP2001
Life Is Good

Bikes: Zipp2001 Carbon Belt Drive SS, Kestrel RT900SL, Kestrel KM40 Airfoil 1x10, Orbea Occam H30, Trek Stache 5 29 Plus, Giant Yukon 2 Fat Bike

Quoted: 277 Post(s)
Liked 867 Times in 443 Posts
My go to winter cycling bibs is the Specialized Element. They are water resistant in front and breathable in back, and they have a zipper if case you need to take a whiz. Kept me warm and dry in some very cold wet rides.

Last edited by ZIPP2001; 11-13-22 at 02:22 PM.
Likes For ZIPP2001:
Old 11-12-22, 08:07 PM
ZIPP2001
Life Is Good

Bikes: Zipp2001 Carbon Belt Drive SS, Kestrel RT900SL, Kestrel KM40 Airfoil 1x10, Orbea Occam H30, Trek Stache 5 29 Plus, Giant Yukon 2 Fat Bike

Quoted: 277 Post(s)
Liked 867 Times in 443 Posts
Originally Posted by rumrunn6
I guess it's impossible to make cycling bibs with fly for peeing
My Specialized Element winter bibs come with a zippered front for peeing.
Likes For ZIPP2001:
Old 11-13-22, 06:23 AM
rumrunn6

Originally Posted by ZIPP2001
My Specialized Element winter bibs come with a zippered front for peeing.
genius! even tho it seems like common sense

Last edited by rumrunn6; 11-14-22 at 12:21 PM.
Likes For rumrunn6: