Go Back  Bike Forums > Bike Forums > Recumbent
Reload this Page >

What to look for a recumbent bike for back problems?

Search
Notices
Recumbent What IS that thing?! Recumbents may be odd looking, but they have many advantages over a "wedgie" bicycle. Discuss the in's and out's recumbent lifestyle in the recumbent forum.

Search this Thread

Old 12-23-22, 12:08 PM
chueh1

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 7 Post(s)
Liked 1 Time in 1 Post

I am an experienced street biker, but I cannot do it anymore. I have spinal problems, especially my lumbar. I can't give up biking, so I am thinking of buying a recumbent bike.

1..I'd like to know what to look for for one with back problems in mind. No bending on my back.

2..What are the brands or models you suggest?

Thanks
Old 12-23-22, 11:23 PM
rollagain
Lopsided biped

Bikes: 2017 Day 6 Cyclone (the Buick); 2015 Simcoe Deluxe (the Xebec); Street Strider 3i (the not-a-bike); GreenSpeed Anura (the Black Swan)

Mentioned: 3 Post(s)
Quoted: 316 Post(s)
Liked 160 Times in 97 Posts
My first inclination is to suggest you see a physical therapist and ask them, but other than that, what kind of riding do you do? How low can the seat be before you need help getting out of it? How far can you recline (think about doing sit-ups)? Do you need a low step-over? There are many kinds of recumbent bikes (and trikes), so most people can find one that works for them.

Most importantly, do try to test-ride some before buying.
Old 12-24-22, 07:28 AM
Moe Zhoost
Half way there

Bikes: Many, and the list changes frequently

Mentioned: 5 Post(s)
Quoted: 986 Post(s)
Liked 880 Times in 527 Posts
Originally Posted by rollagain
Most importantly, do try to test-ride some before buying.
This is always a good idea, though a short ride may not tell you what you need to know. I have back issues as well and find that, on long rides, I actually have more pain on my recumbent trike than on my regular bikes. My theory is that on the trike, I'm not able to change my position, which leads to some stiffness. I've experimented with seat angle and boom length and think I'm close to a compromise position, but the fix is just getting off the trike and stretching every 10 miles or so. Perhaps I should invest in a custom seat.

Good luck. Let us know how your search goes.
Old 12-24-22, 08:26 AM
easyupbug 

Bikes: too many sparkly Italians, some sweet Americans and a couple interesting Japanese

Mentioned: 10 Post(s)
Quoted: 569 Post(s)
Liked 581 Times in 409 Posts
I have used chiropractors for many years to keep me moving but the shift from my rheumatoid to osteoarthritis in the last couple years keeps me off two wheels several times a month. What I found is I can ride with recumbent trikes and am still working on what may not be achievable, the perfect seating. Typically seating specified by simply the seat back angle range did not work or me. I have found the back angle, seat height to crankset centerline, the curve and location of the lumbar support as well as the seat structure which varies from fixed padded to simple stretching mesh which allow loosening adjustable panels for more give or support. I don't know where you live but I recommend starting with a major dealer like Laid Back Cycles and make an appointment for a professional recommendation and test rides. They will consider why you are moving to a trike, issues you have, where you ride, etc. Also check out Laid Back Cycles web site for their buyers guide which they will email to you, very good information. Had I done this I might have saved buying and selling two trikes until I found what looks to be the best for me.
Old 12-24-22, 08:53 AM
10 Wheels
Galveston County Texas

Bikes: 02 GTO, 2011 Magnum

Mentioned: 19 Post(s)
Quoted: 1350 Post(s)
Liked 1,243 Times in 621 Posts
Test a GreenSpeed Magnum.
Ajustable Seat Hight.
Back of The Seat can be anywhere you Want it.
The Parking brakes are so Nice.

I Got a Used one for $1500
Greenspeed Magnum - Bike-On

Mine:

I ride on Streets, Roads, and Highways.

Last edited by 10 Wheels; 12-24-22 at 04:22 PM. Reason: pic
Old 12-24-22, 10:35 AM
linberl

Bikes: Trident Spike 2 recumbent trike w/ e-assist

Mentioned: 25 Post(s)
Quoted: 1321 Post(s)
Liked 374 Times in 288 Posts
it will depend on the reason for your back pain, so see a doctor or pt first. My pain is from compressed L4/5 discs. On a 2 wheeler i am much more comfortable bent slightly forward as it opens up the disc space. On my recumbent trike I have no back pain but i do sometimes gets leg nerve pain in my leg because the reclined position (mine is 50 degrees) can compress the disc a little bit. I am able to move around a bit and also I have a lumbar cushion i can use behind my back when needed. But i recommend you get some understanding of why you are having pain and discuss the best possible seating options with someone who can look at your scans. I did that for my 2 wheel bike and then had a pro bike fit and it made a huge difference. Were it not for my balance issues i would happily be riding my 2 wheeler with only the discomfort in my butt from long rides. I will say i do not miss the butt discomfort, love the recumbent in that regard in particular. A short test ride is not going to tell you what you need to know as it can take some serous miles and repeated riding for problems to show up.
Old 12-24-22, 10:45 AM
10 Wheels
Galveston County Texas

Bikes: 02 GTO, 2011 Magnum

Mentioned: 19 Post(s)
Quoted: 1350 Post(s)
Liked 1,243 Times in 621 Posts
Originally Posted by linberl
it will depend on the reason for your back pain, so see a doctor or pt first. My pain is from compressed L4/5 discs. On a 2 wheeler i am much more comfortable bent slightly forward as it opens up the disc space. On my recumbent trike I have no back pain but i do sometimes gets leg nerve pain in my leg because the reclined position (mine is 50 degrees) can compress the disc a little bit. I am able to move around a bit and also I have a lumbar cushion i can use behind my back when needed. But i recommend you get some understanding of why you are having pain and discuss the best possible seating options with someone who can look at your scans. I did that for my 2 wheel bike and then had a pro bike fit and it made a huge difference. Were it not for my balance issues i would happily be riding my 2 wheeler with only the discomfort in my butt from long rides. I will say i do not miss the butt discomfort, love the recumbent in that regard in particular. A short test ride is not going to tell you what you need to know as it can take some serous miles and repeated riding for problems to show up.
I have Compressed Herniated L4/L5 Disc. With a Bone Spur at L5/S1.

Old 12-24-22, 11:32 AM
linberl

Originally Posted by 10 Wheels
I have Compressed Herniated L4/L5 Disc. With a Bone Spur at L5/S1.
Recumbents typically recline anywhere from 50 degrees. Think about what chair in your home is the most comfortable for you for long periods of time. What's the angle? That's a good starting point. i have one chair I use for reading for several hours at a time, and that angle is just about the same as what i set on my recumbent. You can't tell the effect of bumps and impacts but you can get a sense of what stable angle is comfortable for long durations.
Likes For linberl:
Old 12-24-22, 05:02 PM
mitchmellow62

Quoted: 94 Post(s)
Liked 56 Times in 41 Posts
Good lumbar support for me with a relatively upright seat. But that won't do for those with bulging discs or any stenosis. I agree with linberl. What kind of chair is comfortable for you?
Old 12-24-22, 07:50 PM
rydabent
Banned

Bikes: RANS Stratus TerraTrike Tour II

Mentioned: 46 Post(s)
Quoted: 3352 Post(s)
Liked 1,056 Times in 635 Posts
I would advise test riding a bent or a trike, one with a web seat, and one with a hard shell. Pick the one with the less pain.
Old 12-25-22, 07:48 AM
chueh1

Quoted: 7 Post(s)
Liked 1 Time in 1 Post
Wow, all of your comments and suggestions are GREAT! They point out the directions and the issues I need to consider. Thank you

I did have a MRI, basically L3-L4 and L4-L5 Herniated, yet L4 Anterolisthesis on L5. I've been to a physical therapist for a month. Anybody with similar conditions ride on a trike?
Old 12-25-22, 01:13 PM
Harhir

Bikes: Fahrradmanufaktur Trekking Bike, 2 x Lightning Phantom, bikeE AT, Radwagon3

Mentioned: 3 Post(s)
Quoted: 180 Post(s)
Liked 138 Times in 72 Posts
I moved to two wheel recumbents because of back problems. Rheumatoid arthritis.
However there is one big problem with most recumbents. The seats are always one size fits all. If you are a tall rider the back rest will be too short and the lumbar support too low.
You really need to try to find a bike with a seat that fits your back. I tried several recumbents and could not find a factory seat that would work for me.
I then had my seats custom made from ADC at Recycled Recumbents.
I designed the seats with the correct curves and height of the seat backs and had them made by ADC according to my specs. They have been a blessing for me. I can ride for hours without any pain.
Old 12-25-22, 02:35 PM
linberl

I am a shorter rider so one sized did't fit all for me, either. However, a mesh seat is easily adjusted by both the tension of the straps and the addition of an office chair back support. less expensive than a custom seat and also allows you to make changes as your needs
change over time. Something like that might work for a larger person as well.
Old 01-03-23, 02:19 PM
BlazingPedals

Bikes: Trek 7500, RANS V-Rex, Optima Baron, Velokraft NoCom, M-5 Carbon Highracer, Catrike Speed

Mentioned: 14 Post(s)
Quoted: 1513 Post(s)
Liked 734 Times in 455 Posts
Most trikes will have a nice mesh seat. Mesh can be tightened or loosened in spots to help tailor it to your body's needs. Many 2-wheelsers also use mesh, or can be converted to it. Hardshells can work too, but you have to get the sizing right. I think standard advice applies here: test ride all the used bikes and trikes you can find and see which one 'speaks' to you. It is currently a buyer's market for 2-wheelers since trikes have become so popular; so unless there's a specific reason for a trike, I recommend looking at recumbent bikes.
Old 01-06-23, 04:20 PM
rydabent
Banned

Bikes: RANS Stratus TerraTrike Tour II

Mentioned: 46 Post(s)
Quoted: 3352 Post(s)
Liked 1,056 Times in 635 Posts
At 84, I am a very fortunate man. I have few old age pains, and the ones I do have are minor enough I can just ignore them. One I do have on occasion is lower back pain. But amazingly enough nice 20+ ride on my trike makes most of it go away.
Likes For rydabent: