Search
Notices
Indoor & Stationary Cycling Forum From spin to Zwift to Peloton, this forum is dedicated to any and all indoor training on stationary bikes

Starting Zwift Event

Search this Thread

Old 12-16-22, 12:46 PM
benetga

Bikes: Trek 1.1, Nashbar Carbon105 , Specialized Rockhopper-SS, Aventon Aventure

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 28 Post(s)
Liked 7 Times in 6 Posts
Starting Zwift Event

Okay, this is my second winter using Zwift and I'm having a brain fart or a software issue with the Companion App. When I check that I'm going to an event on the App I see a green box withe a check that says Going. Next to the green box is the time until the event starts. The time counts down but I can't get into the event it eventually says your event has started So am I missing a step to start to ride on the App? It starts fine on my laptop but nothing changes on the App. The support answers read that I need to click on Start Ride but I don't see that option on the App. Last year I didn't have this issue and I'm thinking it just went to the event automatically.
Old 12-16-22, 01:55 PM
spelger

Bikes: yes, i have one

Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Quoted: 1136 Post(s)
Liked 1,179 Times in 686 Posts
i've joined via the app but never used the app exclusively, always used the PC application. i had trouble too, found that i need to connect to zwift sometimes 20 minutes before the event started or i might miss it. eventually i gave up on events unless i joined through the PC app.

i don't zwift anymore so this info may be stale.
Old 12-16-22, 02:37 PM
La Tortue

Quoted: 37 Post(s)
Liked 34 Times in 27 Posts
The companion app is just a companion no pun intended. It will sign you up there but nothing more. You must click on the Join event on the computer not the companion app. This is done while logged into Zwift in game on the computer. You will get a prompt 30 minutes prior allowing you to enter the pen. Some events allow you to start late some races will close the gate one minute out.
Old 12-16-22, 02:58 PM
benetga

Bikes: Trek 1.1, Nashbar Carbon105 , Specialized Rockhopper-SS, Aventon Aventure

Liked 7 Times in 6 Posts
[QUOTE=La Tortue;22741338]The companion app is just a companion no pun intended. It will sign you up there but nothing more. You must click on the Join event on the computer not the companion app. This is done while logged into Zwift in game on the computer. You will get a prompt 30 minutes prior allowing you to enter the pen. Some events allow you to start late some races will close the gate one minute out.[/QUOTE

So what your saying you must click that your going on your laptop on the Zwift site in order to use the Companion App? Doing it this way you can use the App in real time during a event meaning using it as a controller to give ride on's, following event on a map and read out of health stats during event. I just don't remember this being the procedure last year. I thought I could click on event with the app and then use both my phone and laptop during the event...maybe not.
Old 12-16-22, 03:50 PM
PeteHski

Mentioned: 12 Post(s)
Quoted: 4386 Post(s)
Liked 4,827 Times in 2,983 Posts
[QUOTE=benetga;22741356]
Originally Posted by La Tortue
The companion app is just a companion no pun intended. It will sign you up there but nothing more. You must click on the Join event on the computer not the companion app. This is done while logged into Zwift in game on the computer. You will get a prompt 30 minutes prior allowing you to enter the pen. Some events allow you to start late some races will close the gate one minute out.[/QUOTE

So what your saying you must click that your going on your laptop on the Zwift site in order to use the Companion App? Doing it this way you can use the App in real time during a event meaning using it as a controller to give ride on's, following event on a map and read out of health stats during event. I just don't remember this being the procedure last year. I thought I could click on event with the app and then use both my phone and laptop during the event...maybe not.
The above is pretty confusing, but I think the main point is that you have to join the event from the Zwift ride app, not the companion app. You can use the companion app to enter a future event and then you will get the reminder to join on the ride app as the event time approaches. I'm not certain, but I don't think you can start the event from the companion app, only schedule it. When you join an event from the ride app, the companion app will then automatically switch to the event info/map etc. I generally use the companion app to schedule future events, but always join those events from the ride app. Hope that makes sense!
Likes For PeteHski:
Old 12-16-22, 04:19 PM
benetga

Liked 7 Times in 6 Posts
[QUOTE=PeteHski;22741412][QUOTE=benetga;22741356]

The above is pretty confusing, but I think the main point is that you have to join the event from the Zwift ride app, not the companion app. You can use the companion app to enter a future event and then you will get the reminder to join on the ride app as the event time approaches. I'm not certain, but I don't think you can start the event from the companion app, only schedule it. When you join an event from the ride app, the companion app will then automatically switch to the event info/map etc. I generally use the companion app to schedule future events, but always join those events from the ride app. Hope that makes sense! [ /QUOTE]

This is my exact process. I sign up for a event on the companion app, 30min from event starting I get reminder on my phone I set my laptop go to the event, warm up at the staging area or starting line, pickup my phone go on companion app it still says I'm going with the timer counting down until event starts. The event starts on my laptop but companion app doesn't switch over and still has green Going box with check but then says that the event has started instead of switching over to a controller for the event. Hopefully I described the issue a little better. Thanks for the responses.

Last edited by benetga; 12-16-22 at 04:24 PM. Reason: add a sentence
Old 12-16-22, 04:25 PM
PeteHski

[QUOTE=benetga;22741436]
Originally Posted by PeteHski

This is my exact process. I sign up for event on the companion app, 30min from event starting I get reminder on my phone I set my laptop go to the event, warm up at the staging area or starting line, pickup my phone go on companion app it still says I'm going with the timer counting down until event starts. The event then starts on my laptop but companion app doesn't switch over and still has green Going box with check but then says that the event has started instead of switching over to a controller for the event. Hopefully I described the issue a little better.
Ah I see. In that case either your app has developed a bug (it has happened to me occasionally, where the companion app has ignored the event) or maybe your app is not connected to the same wifi network as your ride app? That would be my first check point.
Old 12-16-22, 04:53 PM
benetga

Liked 7 Times in 6 Posts
[QUOTE=PeteHski;22741446]
Originally Posted by benetga

Ah I see. In that case either your app has developed a bug (it has happened to me occasionally, where the companion app has ignored the event) or maybe your app is not connected to the same wifi network as your ride app? That would be my first check point.
Thanks again for responding. They are both on the same wifi so I'm thinking it must be a software issue. I have deleted the app and reloaded it, no change. Oh well, I'll just use my laptop and check the app every once and awhile hopefully it will get fixed.
Old 12-16-22, 05:48 PM
PeteHski

[QUOTE=benetga;22741480]
Originally Posted by PeteHski

Thanks again for responding. They are both on the same wifi so I'm thinking it must be a software issue. I have deleted the app and reloaded it, no change. Oh well, I'll just use my laptop and check the app every once and awhile hopefully it will get fixed.
My companion app went through a phase of not connecting to Zwift events (a few months ago) but fixed itself after a while. No idea what the problem was though!
Old 12-17-22, 08:03 AM
texbiker

Bikes: Cervelo Caledonia Rival AXS eTap, Blue Norcross AL, Lynskey Helix

Quoted: 112 Post(s)
Liked 103 Times in 81 Posts
What I do:
1) open the Zwift companion app on my phone.
2) go to events, find one and sign up. Go back to the home from the menu
3) open the Zwift desktop (or iPad, Apple TV). The first screen wants to connect your sensors. On your phone go to the menu and select game
4) After your sensors connect on the desktop the next screen shows numerous events but the one you signed up for should be listed
5) Select your event, your phone should show the map and the countdown begins
6) once the event starts I see the map on my phone and the game on my desktop monitor
Likes For texbiker:
Old 12-17-22, 06:34 PM
benetga

Liked 7 Times in 6 Posts
Originally Posted by texbiker
What I do:
1) open the Zwift companion app on my phone.
2) go to events, find one and sign up. Go back to the home from the menu
3) open the Zwift desktop (or iPad, Apple TV). The first screen wants to connect your sensors. On your phone go to the menu and select game
4) After your sensors connect on the desktop the next screen shows numerous events but the one you signed up for should be listed
5) Select your event, your phone should show the map and the countdown begins
6) once the event starts I see the map on my phone and the game on my desktop monitor

My exact steps so I"m thinking they're not pairing. It all looks good on my laptop. I click on Start Ride on the laptop and nothing changes with my phone. I'll keep checking my settings on my phone and laptop something is not letting them pair.thanks
Old 12-17-22, 06:43 PM
spelger

Bikes: yes, i have one

Quoted: 1136 Post(s)
Liked 1,179 Times in 686 Posts
if you are having trouble getting it to work on both the phone and the laptop then make sure both are on the same network. i think that can be a problem. i've read that others have had that problem.
Old 12-24-22, 11:16 AM
MinnMan

Bikes: 2022 Salsa Beargrease Carbon Deore 11, 2020 Salsa Warbird GRX 600, 2020 Canyon Ultimate CF SLX disc 9.0 Di2, 2020 Catrike Eola, 2016 Masi cxgr, 2011, Felt F3 Ltd, 2010 Trek 2.1, 2009 KHS Flite 220

Mentioned: 20 Post(s)
Quoted: 4365 Post(s)
Liked 3,001 Times in 1,854 Posts
This may not solve the OP's problem, but I just overcame a related issue. I was trying to go to a private event set up by friends. I "joined" it on the companion app, but it wasn't visible as an event once I started the actual Zwift app and paired my devices. However, I just started riding (riding alone) and immediately got a screen message asking me if I wanted to. joing the private event.

I don't know why the private event doesn't show on the main app even though I've joined it on the Companion app, but whatever.

the interfaces between the two different apps - companion app and main app - can definitely cause confusion.
Old 12-26-22, 11:00 AM
bblair

Bikes: Lynskey R230, Trek 5200, 1975 Raleigh Pro, 1973 Falcon ,Trek T50 Tandem and a 1968 Paramount in progress.

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 377 Post(s)
Liked 392 Times in 232 Posts
I have found that it seems to be more predicable to start Zwifting with the PC (or whatever you use), then once connected, fire up the companion app.

And FWIW, since folks here convinced me to use Apple TV (and I am definitely NOT an Apple FanBoy), it works flawlessly. Connects in seconds. My PC sometimes took 15 minutes.

OK, JRA today and the green box pops up in the LR, "Join Event?" I click and off we go!
Old 12-27-22, 09:42 AM
Fendertele

Bikes: Trek Domane SL5

Quoted: 25 Post(s)
Liked 41 Times in 28 Posts
Maybe your pc is no longer supported by Zwift?
You are signing up for an even using companion app on your phone. Start your ride on Zwift on your phone and see if everything works via your phone. This should confirm if the pc is the issue.
I used to do all my rides via Zwift on the phone before I got an AppleTV.
Old 12-29-22, 07:34 AM
bblair

Bikes: Lynskey R230, Trek 5200, 1975 Raleigh Pro, 1973 Falcon ,Trek T50 Tandem and a 1968 Paramount in progress.

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 377 Post(s)
Liked 392 Times in 232 Posts
Probably solved, but as I got on Zwift yesterday, I snapped this picture. You can sign up ahead of time via the Companion app., but when you are ready to actually ride, you have run the full program, through your PC, Mac, Apple TV or whatever.
Old 12-30-22, 10:11 AM
Sy Reene
Advocatus Diaboli

Bikes: Merlin Cyrene, Nashbar steel CX

Mentioned: 14 Post(s)
Tagged: 1 Thread(s)
Quoted: 4729 Post(s)
Liked 1,531 Times in 1,002 Posts
As mentioned, make sure computer and phone wifi are on the same network -- some carriers will give you eg. 2 of them - a regular and a 5k or whatnot version.
Also what sometimes works if the above is correct, and you're still not getting the App to pair, is to put phone into airplane mode (turning off all cell/wifi) for a few seconds and then turn it off again -- somehow this seems to often kickstart the app to pair.
Old 01-05-23, 02:15 PM
himespau 

Mentioned: 33 Post(s)
Quoted: 4224 Post(s)
Liked 2,944 Times in 1,803 Posts
Given that it's been over a week, did you get your issue figured out?
Old 01-07-23, 11:00 AM
benetga

Liked 7 Times in 6 Posts
Originally Posted by himespau
Given that it's been over a week, did you get your issue figured out?

No, the App is still not going live during a event. Since moving things out of the garage and now having my setup in the basement I use my phone as my Spotify remote. This seems to work good for me now. I use my PC for everything while Zwiftng, kinda simplified things a little. I can check my numbers later on the App so I'm good with that. I moved it all out of the garage thinking I would purchase a Hub but haven't done it yet. I'm still using my KK RM and just doing group rides. I've dialed it back a little and started enjoying it more. I alternate between walks and Zwift and do this every other day.

Thanks for asking and for the replys.
Old 01-16-23, 03:49 PM
benetga

Liked 7 Times in 6 Posts
[QUOTE=PeteHski;22741524]
Originally Posted by benetga

My companion app went through a phase of not connecting to Zwift events (a few months ago) but fixed itself after a while. No idea what the problem was though!

Okay, the App worked today! I did nothing different and got a prompt on the App to Start or Quit Event. So must have just worked itself out.
Likes For benetga: