Go Back  Bike Forums > Bike Forums > Recumbent
Reload this Page >

Seat padding for an Easy Racer?

Search
Notices
Recumbent What IS that thing?! Recumbents may be odd looking, but they have many advantages over a "wedgie" bicycle. Discuss the in's and out's recumbent lifestyle in the recumbent forum.

Search this Thread

Old 01-30-23, 07:19 PM
Galoot

Bikes: 1975 Coppi Campionissimo, 1980 Raleigh Grand Sport, 1983 Trek 520, 1983 Ciocc, 1995 Trek 520

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 17 Post(s)
Liked 7 Times in 7 Posts

I decided to not sell my late brother-in-law's Easy Racer. I doubt I'd get more than $200 for it and I think it will be good for getting back in shape on the flats. 8 years ago I learned how to ride it (it took 20 miles) and did a few 30 mile rides, not too hilly. I'll never use it as a touring bike because I can't climb hills on it. I'm 60 and no, I'm not going to work on developing stronger legs. But riding my Trek 520 touring bike often leads to hand numbness, which of course is no issue on the recumbent.

My only issue (other than hills) when I rode it 8 years ago was that I felt EVERY bump in the road or bike path in my arthritic lower back. Any suggestions for any sort of padding to add to the seat to alleviate this?
Old 01-30-23, 08:26 PM
linberl

Bikes: Trident Spike 2 recumbent trike w/ e-assist

Mentioned: 25 Post(s)
Quoted: 1321 Post(s)
Liked 374 Times in 288 Posts
I don't know if padding will help or not, but changing tires definitely helped me. I went from standard tires to Big Ben Plus and that huge volume of air is like a suspension. Really dampens the shocks. Do you have the option of going to Big Bens or Big Apples?
Old 02-02-23, 09:49 AM
BlazingPedals

Bikes: Trek 7500, RANS V-Rex, Optima Baron, Velokraft NoCom, M-5 Carbon Highracer, Catrike Speed

Mentioned: 14 Post(s)
Quoted: 1513 Post(s)
Liked 734 Times in 455 Posts
You don't say if you have a cobra seat or a mesh-back. If it's a mesh-back, you can get a Love Seat cover from Necessary Options for it,and put some softer upholstery foam underneath it.
Old 02-05-23, 10:28 PM
Jeff Wills
Insane Bicycle Mechanic

Mentioned: 34 Post(s)
Quoted: 797 Post(s)
Liked 694 Times in 371 Posts
IIRC, the Easy Racers Cobra seats used several layers of foam of different densities. They may have broken down with age. If you remove the cover and take it to an automotive or motorcycle upholstery shop they may be able to rebuild it with new foam or add layers to lessen impact.

FWIW: my Easy Racers Cobra seat is now on its third bike. I got it with my Tour Easy, transferred it to my Gold Rush, and now it lives on my RANS Phoenix.

Comcast nuked my web page. It will return soon..
Likes For Jeff Wills:
Old 02-08-23, 07:38 AM
BlazingPedals

Bikes: Trek 7500, RANS V-Rex, Optima Baron, Velokraft NoCom, M-5 Carbon Highracer, Catrike Speed

Mentioned: 14 Post(s)
Quoted: 1513 Post(s)
Liked 734 Times in 455 Posts
I'm probably not the guy to talk to about soft seats. I'm the one who takes the 3" foam off my V-Rex and replaces it with a 1/2" camping foam, or sometimes rides without any padding.