Go Back  Bike Forums > Bike Forums > Tandem Cycling
Reload this Page >

Cable Standoffs on a Coupled Tandem

Notices
Tandem Cycling A bicycle built for two. Want to find out more about this wonderful world of tandems? Check out this forum to talk with other tandem enthusiasts. Captains and stokers welcome!

Old 02-07-23, 11:46 AM
RoulezTandem

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 4 Post(s)
Liked 4 Times in 3 Posts

In constructing a custom steel framed tandem with S&S couplers to ease transport,
we found that off-the-shelf cable guides (brake, shift) did not permit the necessary cable splitters to clear the S&S frame couplers.

Don't other builders using S&S couplers have this problem?

Here is our solution.
Kudos to Jay Borden of Roulez Cycle, Lynn MA. Our framebuilder, problemsolver, and machinist extrodinaire.

cable splitter ends hung up on the S&S coupler

machining cable guide standoffs from 0.5" steel plate, using hole saws to machine inside and outside radius.

test fitting the standoffs. cable guide tacked to each. The original brazed guides on left of photo were removed.

final build showing the cable guide system on bottom tube.
Old 02-07-23, 11:32 PM
LV2TNDM

Bikes: Cannondale tandems: '92 Road, '97 Mtn. Mongoose 10.9 Ti, Kelly Deluxe, Tommaso Chorus, Cdale MT2000, Schwinn Deluxe Cruiser, Torker Unicycle, among others.

Mentioned: 5 Post(s)
Quoted: 275 Post(s)
Liked 201 Times in 127 Posts
Splitters don't need to be AT the S&S.

I'm pretty sure all bikes just use standard cable stops with S&S couplers. My steel Co-Motion has the typical stops brazed to the frame. But I don't locate the splitters at the couplers, but near them. Putting them there would cause them to contact, bump & rub the couplers. Given most tandem frames, there's ample room on the tubes to miss the couplers. And even then, the couplers do bounce against the bare frame tubes regardless. But it's no big deal, doesn't cause any problems. (The rubber o-rings help, but they quickly crack & fall off.)

But your tandem appears to have very little room between the stops at the coupler. But couldn't you just locate the splitters elsewhere? As long as you have slotted cable guides, it doesn't matter where your splitters come apart - as long as the housing can easily come off as well. You'll just have a little extra long cable extending past that limited clearance zone to the next free span of straight tubing length.

Or am I missing something?
Old 02-08-23, 07:24 AM
RoulezTandem

Liked 4 Times in 3 Posts
Glad to know most tandems do not have this challenge.
I agree that the cables could be 'peeled back' to another point but then we have concerns about damage during transport handling which is pretty tough on our bike.
On this foot-forward beachcomber type frame with middrive motor, we did not see another logical spot for the couplers.
Old 02-17-23, 03:45 PM
Philly Tandem

Bikes: Too many! Santana tandems and triplet; MTBs; touring bikes

Quoted: 88 Post(s)
Liked 19 Times in 15 Posts
The problem is your multiple cable/housing stops on the frame. You really don't need two sets so close together, one on each side of the coupler. It's easy enough to just let the cable hang down when the frame is uncoupled and the cable splitters have been disconnected. No offense, but I think the builder over-complicated things and created the problem that he then fixed. I've owned quite a few S&S single bikes and tandems (and a triplet) and have never had an issue with dealing with the cables this way. Occasionally when I'm packing a split frame I'll add a zip-tie to keep the cable tied to the frame tube just for convenience.
Old 02-24-23, 08:44 PM
RoulezTandem

Liked 4 Times in 3 Posts
Extra cable stops were added at my request, to limit dangling cables that would get damaged when we cram the truck full of gear around the bike.
Agree, it complicates things on this one of a kind frame.
We have since partitioned the truckbed to separate gear from the two bike halves during transport.
see
https://www.bikeforums.net/tandem-cy...bed-truck.html

Last edited by RoulezTandem; 02-24-23 at 08:48 PM.