Go Back  Bike Forums > Bike Forums > Beach Cruisers
Reload this Page >

Electra Cruiser 7 Side Pull Brakes to allow fenders

Search
Notices
Beach Cruisers Do you love balloon tires and fenders? Do you love riding the simplicity of a single gear and coaster brakes or a single gear cluster? Do you love the classic curves in the tubing of a cruiser that takes you back to the 1950's and 1960's, stylistically? Here's your home! Welcome to the Beach Cruisers and Cruisers forum!

Electra Cruiser 7 Side Pull Brakes to allow fenders

Search this Thread

Old 03-13-23, 10:30 PM
tb953

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Question Electra Cruiser 7 Side Pull Brakes to allow fenders

I recently purchased an Electra Cruiser 7 for my wife. I would like to put fenders on it, but in order to do so, I need to install side pull brakes. Any recommendations on how to go about doing that especially with the rear wheel, it appears there is no way to mount them, unless I am missing something. The tektra side pull brakes seem fine for the front wheel, just not the rear. I should add that the wheels on it are oversized 26 x 2.4" the fenders sold through Electra will only work on 26 x 2.1" (or so) wheels.

Last edited by tb953; 03-13-23 at 10:34 PM.
Old 03-14-23, 07:13 AM
rhenning

Mentioned: 13 Post(s)
Quoted: 380 Post(s)
Liked 106 Times in 80 Posts
You do not need side pull brakes to have fenders. Why do think you do? When you have enough post post a picture. Roger
Old 03-14-23, 11:11 AM
tb953

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Originally Posted by rhenning
You do not need side pull brakes to have fenders. Why do think you do? When you have enough post post a picture. Roger
The bike has oversized (even for a cruiser) tires 26x2.4". I say that because when I look at the Electra website for fenders theirs will only work if the wheel is less than 26x2.1". Given that I had to go to someone on the web for fenders that would work. I asked the seller of the fenders if they would work with the parameters of my bike. They said I would need to have the side pull calipers. When I look at the clearance with the cable connected, I think they may be right. At any rate, I went ahead and ordered the fenders. They will be here this weekend at the latest, so I am going to try them and see if the cable will clear the fender or not. If not, I will need a solution. Since there is nothing to attach the side pull caliper to the back, I thought I would check here and see if any of the knowledgeable folks on the site have any ideas! PS. I tried to post the photos but it says I am only allowed to post pictures after I make 10 posts. Since I am new to posting here I have either 8 or 9 if this counts posts to go!
Old 03-17-23, 12:15 PM
tb953

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Well, I received the fenders yesterday and put them on the bike. They fit fine over the wheels with plenty of clearance. I don't really like the way they mount, or the fact that the rear fender is molded in a spot that does not align to the frame. They fit, the wife is happy, me, not so much. The front V-Brake does hit the top of the fender ever so slightly when the brake lever is pulled. It doesn't impact the braking at all. All that said, anyone know of fenders that would fit this specific bike with the larger wheels I referenced above 26 x 2.4?