Go Back  Bike Forums > Bike Forums > Mountain Biking
Reload this Page >

Scott Spark 960

Notices
Mountain Biking Mountain biking is one of the fastest growing sports in the world. Check out this forum to discuss the latest tips, tricks, gear and equipment in the world of mountain biking.

Scott Spark 960

Old 03-03-23, 05:52 PM
KiwiKev

Bikes: Scott Spark 960

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Scott Spark 960

So 6 weeks ago I bought a new Scott Spark 960. And since then I've had so much trouble with it. Firstly the chain kept falling off the pedal cog, then the shocks selector lever broke, then I found the grub screw stripped on the rock shock collar. And now there's an annoying clicking noise coming from somewhere in the front end.

I've been back to various Scott dealers 9 times and feel like they've made it like it's my fault. Like I don't ride anything but dry easy trails coz I'm 59y old. And I don't get any response from emails I've sent to Scotts either

I've paid more than $5000 for this bike. My gf is riding a new Giant on the same trails I'm on with no issues Why is the quality and service so bad with Scott???
Old 03-04-23, 10:31 PM
veganbikes
Clark W. Griswold

Bikes: Foundry Chilkoot Ti W/Ultegra Di2, Salsa Timberjack Ti, Cinelli Mash Work RandoCross Fun Time Machine, 1x9 XT Parts Hybrid, Co-Motion Cascadia, Specialized Langster, Phil Wood Apple VeloXS Frame (w/DA 7400), R+M Supercharger2 Rohloff, Habanero Ti 26

Mentioned: 54 Post(s)
Quoted: 4254 Post(s)
Liked 3,867 Times in 2,580 Posts
Not sure why you are having issues it. Some of it sounds like it is a bike that needs it's first adjustment after being purchased and part of it sounds like it could be user error at least in the stripped grub screw they it could have happened at the shop and the clicking sound could be so many things but something just doesn't quite add up. It is a good solid bike with good components and while I haven't worked at a Scott dealer in a long time we never had many issues with their stuff beyond normal wear and tear.

Generally the shop you purchased it from should be able to file a warranty claim and at least one of those shops should be able to fix the issues at hand. I don't know what Scott is like in NZ and maybe they don't have a good set up but I doubt that highly some smaller brands are set up through odd distributors in some countries but Scott I would doubt. If I recall which I could be wholly wrong they had a strong presence in Australia but I would check there website and find if they have a distributor in your area and reach out to them.
Old 03-04-23, 11:02 PM
KiwiKev

Bikes: Scott Spark 960

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Originally Posted by veganbikes
Not sure why you are having issues it. Some of it sounds like it is a bike that needs it's first adjustment after being purchased and part of it sounds like it could be user error at least in the stripped grub screw they it could have happened at the shop and the clicking sound could be so many things but something just doesn't quite add up. It is a good solid bike with good components and while I haven't worked at a Scott dealer in a long time we never had many issues with their stuff beyond normal wear and tear.

Generally the shop you purchased it from should be able to file a warranty claim and at least one of those shops should be able to fix the issues at hand. I don't know what Scott is like in NZ and maybe they don't have a good set up but I doubt that highly some smaller brands are set up through odd distributors in some countries but Scott I would doubt. If I recall which I could be wholly wrong they had a strong presence in Australia but I would check there website and find if they have a distributor in your area and reach out to them.
Thanks for your response Clark, that gives me a bit more faith. Atm I feel like I've bought the Monday bike, the one that's built in the first shift in the weekend when everyone is hungover.

That would be fine if the dealers then say yes, there's a problem and it'll be fixed. But they don't. They make up excuses and stories, anything to get you to go away.

With the chain falling off the front pedal cog issues I took it back to the original dealer who said it was probably just because it was dirty and I should clean it more. Then adjusted something unrelated on the back derailleur. Next ride I did...CRUNCH!!! The chain had come off the back large cog this time and jammed in the spokes. Because they had adjusted the stop screw too much on the derailleur. Took me 20mins to unscramble that clusterfxxx

Dealer 2 could not see anything that was fundamentally causing the problem but took the front cog chain guard off to see if that helped. It didn't.

At that point I went into the forums and basically from that decided to replace the chain. Dealer 3 did this for me, swapping the KMU chain for a Shimano, and it worked. They also adjusted the shocks and that's when my next issues arose.

I took the bike back to dealer 3 and they said it needed shock parts that would take a week and a half to get there and that I'd need to sort somewhere else (because I was travelling around a bit). Plus they didn't have time to fix anyway. I did subsequently find out from dealer 1 that the parts supply chain is overnight delivery.

So am I being lied to? By dealers who basically won't take responsibility for sorting out issues for an expensive faulty product? And who seem to cause more problems than they solve?

I've also emailed Scott, and attempted to contact them via their fb page without any response whatsoever.
​​​​​
Old 03-21-23, 04:18 PM
travbikeman

Bikes: State 4130 Custom, Giant Trance 29

Mentioned: 7 Post(s)
Quoted: 416 Post(s)
Liked 173 Times in 118 Posts
Read somewhere that the full Shimano MTN group sets are recommended to work with only Shimano chains. While other chains will work, tend to be noisier and shifting not as precise.
Can't really confirm that yet since my Giant Trance has KMC chain on it with Deore groupset, but a different crank. It has had a few drop chains though.

Too bad the lever broke on you and hopefully that is covered under warranty. I've been wondering if this is going to break on me as well on my Genius. After having the Genius for 6 months now, not really liking that system anymore. But my son likes it at moment, so will keep.

But wanted to chime in, was told by my Scott dealer a few months ago. They received an advisory to take the shock out and to put some loctite on some screws when reinstalling. Wonder if the noise you are hearing from front end, might actually be the X-Fusion shock instead?

My take on that shock so far, neither my son nor I can get it dialed in all that well. Very possible future upgrade will be replacing it.