Search
Notices
Forum Suggestions & User Assistance Have a suggestion for the forums? Need help with the Forums? Post here.

Ban AI generated posts?

Search this Thread

Old 02-26-23, 01:45 PM
Darth Lefty 
Disco Infiltrator

Bikes: Stormchaser, Paramount, Tilt, Samba tandem

Mentioned: 72 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 3126 Post(s)
Liked 2,102 Times in 1,366 Posts
Originally Posted by tyrion
Are you training it or is it training you?
It's being rolled out in an advertising context so the answer to that should be obvious
Genesis 49:16-17
Likes For Darth Lefty:
Old 02-26-23, 03:34 PM
ThermionicScott 
working on my sandal tan

Bikes: 1991 Bianchi Eros, 1964 Armstrong, 1988 Diamondback Ascent, 1988 Bianchi Premio, 1987 Bianchi Sport SX, 1980s Raleigh mixte (hers), All-City Space Horse (hers)

Mentioned: 98 Post(s)
Quoted: 3870 Post(s)
Liked 2,563 Times in 1,577 Posts
Originally Posted by Darth Lefty
It's being rolled out in an advertising context so the answer to that should be obvious
I've noticed that the hands in AI-generated art are getting better and better. It would be naïve to think this is all just being done for amusement.
People in this forum are not typical.
RUSA #7498
Old 02-26-23, 06:29 PM
HTupolev

Mentioned: 42 Post(s)
Quoted: 1974 Post(s)
Liked 1,298 Times in 630 Posts
Originally Posted by Jeff Neese
There's no difference between using any of these new tools, and looking up information the old-fashioned way.
No, but I might object to some equivocation in how you're leveraging the word "using." Generally when someone "uses" a traditional search engine to assist in constructing a forum post, for example, they're not assuming that the raw output from a preliminary search is suitable for direct use as that forum post.

Now, current LLM chatbots are maybe somewhat different due to how they correlate concepts, and how their primary output is natural-language text. I don't think there's anything inherently wrong with leveraging them to write forum posts. However, they're still in a preliminary state, and their ability to produce meaningful and appropriate answers is still fairly reliant on the user's subject understanding.

Another danger with the new chatbots is that the apparent coherence of their responses leads people to overly trust their rigor. For example, you're a strong advocate of using a chatbot to cite sources. But you've demonstrated it with a chatbot that isn't actually designed for this purpose, and which frequently hallucinates references to sources that don't exist.
Likes For HTupolev:
Old 02-27-23, 03:24 PM
livedarklions
Tragically Ignorant

Bikes: Serotta Atlanta; 1994 Specialized Allez Pro; Giant OCR A1; SOMA Double Cross Disc; 2022 Allez Elite mit der SRAM

Mentioned: 62 Post(s)
Quoted: 8186 Post(s)
Liked 9,098 Times in 5,054 Posts
Originally Posted by tyrion
Are you training it or is it training you?

Yes.
Likes For livedarklions:
Old 02-28-23, 09:55 AM
livedarklions
Tragically Ignorant

Bikes: Serotta Atlanta; 1994 Specialized Allez Pro; Giant OCR A1; SOMA Double Cross Disc; 2022 Allez Elite mit der SRAM

Originally Posted by HTupolev
Another danger with the new chatbots is that the apparent coherence of their responses leads people to overly trust their rigor. For example, you're a strong advocate of using a chatbot to cite sources. But you've demonstrated it with a chatbot that isn't actually designed for this purpose, and which frequently hallucinates references to sources that don't exist.

Even when the source is real, the AI's "interpretation" of the source's information can likewise be hallucinatory. A human needs to actually look at this source to see a) if it's quality; b) what it is saying and c) the context in which it is saying it.

I think the other thing that our friend here isn't acknowledging is that the AI can just overwhelm any rational response possibility by the sheer volume of junk it can produce at the push of a very few buttons. I believe that he and I have both illustrated that adequately.
Old 02-28-23, 12:55 PM
IBJoel
Administrator

Mentioned: 29 Post(s)
Quoted: 223 Post(s)
Liked 224 Times in 146 Posts
Jeff, I'd just stop posting AI rsponses. We can't stop you, but if there's copyright changes that occur in the next year and we get takedown notices... I can tell you we're not going to sift through which responses of yours were generated or thought up and we'll just bulk-delete everything you've posted.
Likes For IBJoel:
Old 02-28-23, 01:30 PM
Darth Lefty 
Disco Infiltrator

Bikes: Stormchaser, Paramount, Tilt, Samba tandem

Mentioned: 72 Post(s)
Quoted: 3126 Post(s)
Liked 2,102 Times in 1,366 Posts
@IBJoel we can't be the only IB forum,or indeed forums in general, talking about this. Do you foresee a policy or just let it ride for a while until the situation becomes clearer?
Genesis 49:16-17
Old 02-28-23, 01:36 PM
IBJoel
Administrator

Mentioned: 29 Post(s)
Quoted: 223 Post(s)
Liked 224 Times in 146 Posts
Originally Posted by Darth Lefty
@IBJoel we can't be the only IB forum,or indeed forums in general, talking about this. Do you foresee a policy or just let it ride for a while until the situation becomes clearer?
In fact, Bike Forums is. We haven't had this issue on other sites. So probably the latter option.
Old 02-28-23, 03:09 PM
datlas 
Should Be More Popular

Bikes: 1986 Alpine (steel road bike), 2009 Ti Habenero, 2013 Specialized Roubaix

Mentioned: 560 Post(s)
Tagged: 2 Thread(s)
Quoted: 22578 Post(s)
Liked 8,919 Times in 4,153 Posts
Hi! What's this thread about?

Old 02-28-23, 09:35 PM
tyrion

Bikes: Velo Orange Piolet

Mentioned: 28 Post(s)
Quoted: 2228 Post(s)
Liked 2,011 Times in 972 Posts
Originally Posted by datlas
Hi! What's this thread about?

Hydraulic brakes vs. cable brakes.
Likes For tyrion:
Old 03-05-23, 06:43 PM
shelbyfv
Expired Member

Mentioned: 37 Post(s)
Quoted: 3657 Post(s)
Liked 5,393 Times in 2,738 Posts
Just used ZeroGPT to confirm an AI post in Clydes. Thanks for the link!
Likes For shelbyfv:
Old 03-07-23, 06:52 AM
livedarklions
Tragically Ignorant

Originally Posted by IBJoel
In fact, Bike Forums is. We haven't had this issue on other sites. So probably the latter option.
There's been some reporting of publishers having to shut down online submissions as the volume of AI crap is too much to screen. I suspect you are going to need policies shortly, but I will be happy to be wrong. My preference would be to have a fairly strict stated ban, then rely on reporting by other users for enforcement. Obviously, it wouldn't be a ban on referring to it, it would be a ban on actual plagiarism and/or overlong quotation. I don't think that's substantially different from the copyright issues y'all have had to deal with for decades now.
Likes For livedarklions:
Old 03-07-23, 11:24 AM
Iride01 
I'm good to go!

Bikes: Tarmac Disc Comp Di2 - 2020

Mentioned: 51 Post(s)
Quoted: 6178 Post(s)
Liked 4,795 Times in 3,307 Posts
One of the issues I've seen with chatGPT generated stuff is that it's happy to accept and include things that are considered dogma but still pose them as legitimate things that must be done.

So while the users might think they are gaining some education, it might be a dated education and not to current thinking.
Old 03-14-23, 07:05 PM
unterhausen
Randomhead

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Quoted: 4 Post(s)
Liked 3,687 Times in 2,510 Posts
Some of the spammers that come here love ai. They probably think it makes them less likely to be detected, which is not really true. It makes it just a little more satisfying to ban them.

I'm not going to catastrophize over people using AI. I swear some people on BF were in on the super-secret early beta program for it given the length and nature of their posts. We are generally discouraging it and have deleted some ai-generated posts by long-time users. Certainly not all of them yet.
Likes For unterhausen:
Old 03-23-23, 06:17 PM
ggpepper

Bikes: Traitor & Nashbar

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Quoted: 31 Post(s)
Liked 76 Times in 36 Posts
Originally Posted by unterhausen
Some of the spammers that come here love ai. They probably think it makes them less likely to be detected, which is not really true. It makes it just a little more satisfying to ban them.

I'm not going to catastrophize over people using AI. I swear some people on BF were in on the super-secret early beta program for it given the length and nature of their posts. We are generally discouraging it and have deleted some ai-generated posts by long-time users. Certainly not all of them yet.
I sometimes wondered about VintageSchwinn.
Old 03-23-23, 07:36 PM
shelbyfv
Expired Member

Mentioned: 37 Post(s)
Quoted: 3657 Post(s)
Liked 5,393 Times in 2,738 Posts
Originally Posted by ggpepper
I sometimes wondered about VintageSchwinn.
That would be disappointing. I've always appreciated the effort that goes into those screeds. The derangement, not so much.