Go Back  Bike Forums > Bike Forums > Utility Cycling
Reload this Page >

What is this Fitting?

Notices
Utility Cycling Want to haul groceries, beer, maybe even your kids? You don't have to live car free to put your bike to use as a workhorse. Here's the place to share and learn about the bicycle as a utility vehicle.

What is this Fitting?

Old 03-23-23, 11:51 AM
gna
Count Orlok Member

Bikes: Raleigh Sports, Raleigh Twenty, Raleigh Wyoming, Raleigh DL1, Schwinn Winter Bike

Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 122 Post(s)
Liked 176 Times in 97 Posts
What is this Fitting?

I found an abandoned Hercules bicycle last year--not the English Hercules, but the German one, from Nuremberg. The bike has a fitting near the rear wheel on one of the seat stays. I think it's some sort of cafe lock, but I can't figure it out. Any help?

Not sure what this is. Cafe Lock?

Hercules
Old 03-26-23, 07:39 PM
PhilFo 
Tinker-er

Bikes: 1956 Rudge Sports; 1983 Univega Alpina Uno; 1981 Miyata 610; 1973 Raleigh Twenty; 1994 Breezer Lightning XTR; V4 Yuba Mundo aka "The Schlepper"; 1987 Raleigh "The Edge" Mountain Trials; 1952 R.O. Harrison "Madison"

Quoted: 152 Post(s)
Liked 243 Times in 165 Posts
https://bfy.tw/TxSz
Looks like a simple search yielded results.
Old 03-31-23, 01:58 PM
Harhir

Bikes: Fahrradmanufaktur Trekking Bike, 2 x Lightning Phantom, bikeE AT, Radwagon3

Mentioned: 3 Post(s)
Quoted: 180 Post(s)
Liked 137 Times in 72 Posts
Originally Posted by gna
I found an abandoned Hercules bicycle last year--not the English Hercules, but the German one, from Nuremberg. The bike has a fitting near the rear wheel on one of the seat stays. I think it's some sort of cafe lock, but I can't figure it out. Any help?

Not sure what this is. Cafe Lock?

Hercules

Yes it is a lock. But it looks it is missing the key. I remember these from my childhood in Germany. They were quite common in the 70s and 80s. This type of lock just blocked the wheel from turning but did not protect the bike from being carried away. Kind of useless.
Likes For Harhir:
Old 03-31-23, 10:22 PM
gna
Count Orlok Member

Bikes: Raleigh Sports, Raleigh Twenty, Raleigh Wyoming, Raleigh DL1, Schwinn Winter Bike

Quoted: 122 Post(s)
Liked 176 Times in 97 Posts
Thank you for the video. I don't have a key, but I see how I could make one, and I understand how the lock works now.