Go Back  Bike Forums > Bike Forums > Tandem Cycling
Reload this Page >

Friday Twin Air Tandem decent bike?

Notices
Tandem Cycling A bicycle built for two. Want to find out more about this wonderful world of tandems? Check out this forum to talk with other tandem enthusiasts. Captains and stokers welcome!

Friday Twin Air Tandem decent bike?

Old 04-26-23, 10:38 AM
fooferdoggie 

Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 680 Post(s)
Liked 946 Times in 553 Posts
Bike Friday Twin Air Tandem decent bike?

we would love to have a portable tandem as we dont drive. what do you think about this guy? we can go to it easily so hope they let us do a test drive. the second one is even closer.
https://portland.craigslist.org/clc/...605191398.html

https://portland.craigslist.org/mlt/...596459555.html

Last edited by fooferdoggie; 04-26-23 at 01:30 PM.
Old 04-26-23, 01:00 PM
TobyGadd

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Quoted: 29 Post(s)
Liked 16 Times in 14 Posts
I've never ridden a Bike Friday tandem, but those both look like they're in great shape with solid components. Those little wheels seem crazy, but that's obviously what it takes to make portable bikes like these. I'd hope that they at least let you test ride around the block or something before buying.
Old 04-26-23, 01:03 PM
fooferdoggie 

Originally Posted by TobyGadd
I've never ridden a Bike Friday tandem, but those both look like they're in great shape with solid components. Those little wheels seem crazy, but that's obviously what it takes to make portable bikes like these. I'd hope that they at least let you test ride around the block or something before buying.
ya small wheels. but this is more of a bike we could take with us on a bus or such. Like amtrak has a bus that goes to the beach we asked a driver if we could put our tandem in the cargo compartment and said it was fine but it may depend on the driver.
Old 04-28-23, 08:00 AM
merlinextraligh
pan y agua

Bikes: Willier Zero 7; Merlin Extralight; Calfee Dragonfly tandem, Calfee Adventure tandem; Cervelo P2; Motebecane Ti Fly 29er; Motebecanne Phantom Cross; Schwinn Paramount Track bike

Mentioned: 17 Post(s)
Quoted: 1428 Post(s)
Liked 697 Times in 353 Posts
The folder would more seem to fit your purpose in that it easily folds. While the other Bike Friday disassembles into two small suitcases it’s a job I don’t think most people want to do every time they hope on and off a bus.

As for the ride of a Bike Friday, in my opinion it depends on your intended use. We had a Bike Friday tandem when our daughter was young it worked great with a child stoker. We also used it as a travel tandem, with my wife as stoker. With and adult stoker you could definitely feel the flex, to the point my wife didn’t like it, particularly pushing the bike hard.

Nonetheless we were able to do fast group rides on it and descend at 50 mph plus.

In my opinion, if you’re not a big team, and your not really pushing the bike hard, it would be fine for commuting.

I would not worry about the small wheels, they’re actually quite fast, and stronge than a conventionally sized wheel.

Also Bike Friday’s tend to hold their value quite well. ( We sold ours for almost what we originally paid it for it new after several years of use.) So if you buy it and decide you don’t like it , you should be able to get at least most of your money back.
OR YOU COULD STAY HOME AND FALL OFF THE COUCH AND DIE.
Old 04-28-23, 08:41 AM
fooferdoggie 

Originally Posted by merlinextraligh
The folder would more seem to fit your purpose in that it easily folds. While the other Bike Friday disassembles into two small suitcases it’s a job I don’t think most people want to do every time they hope on and off a bus.

As for the ride of a Bike Friday, in my opinion it depends on your intended use. We had a Bike Friday tandem when our daughter was young it worked great with a child stoker. We also used it as a travel tandem, with my wife as stoker. With and adult stoker you could definitely feel the flex, to the point my wife didn’t like it, particularly pushing the bike hard.

Nonetheless we were able to do fast group rides on it and descend at 50 mph plus.

In my opinion, if you’re not a big team, and your not really pushing the bike hard, it would be fine for commuting.

I would not worry about the small wheels, they’re actually quite fast, and stronge than a conventionally sized wheel.

Also Bike Friday’s tend to hold their value quite well. ( We sold ours for almost what we originally paid it for it new after several years of use.) So if you buy it and decide you don’t like it , you should be able to get at least most of your money back.
ya taking the bike apart for such short trips would suck and its most likely too small. we are on the heavy side but we are not going to ride hard this is just to explore and get around where our feet fail.
Old 04-28-23, 09:12 AM
merlinextraligh
pan y agua

Bikes: Willier Zero 7; Merlin Extralight; Calfee Dragonfly tandem, Calfee Adventure tandem; Cervelo P2; Motebecane Ti Fly 29er; Motebecanne Phantom Cross; Schwinn Paramount Track bike

Mentioned: 17 Post(s)
Quoted: 1428 Post(s)
Liked 697 Times in 353 Posts
When we had our bike Friday our team weight was around 350lbs. The frame and wheels were definitely capable of taking that and more weight, the frame was just a bit too flexy for our taste. For just a tooling around I think it would be more than adequate.
OR YOU COULD STAY HOME AND FALL OFF THE COUCH AND DIE.
Old 04-28-23, 09:27 AM
fooferdoggie 

Originally Posted by merlinextraligh
When we had our bike Friday our team weight was around 350lbs. The frame and wheels were definitely capable of taking that and more weight, the frame was just a bit too flexy for our taste. For just a tooling around I think it would be more than adequate.
thats what I figured my only thing is pending that much on a bike that gets limited use. they have decent enough bikes to rend but the only tandems are clunky heavy things. my wife is blind so cant go single.
Old 04-29-23, 02:06 AM
Leisesturm

Mentioned: 26 Post(s)
Quoted: 2475 Post(s)
Liked 722 Times in 513 Posts
I don't know but I doubt that Twin Air is a folding model. Looks cool though. We live in Portland too but when I was looking there wasn't anything on Craigslist. We bought our Two'sday off Tandem Classifieds. A couple in Florida had one for sale. We don't use it nearly as much as we thought we would. It folds quickly enough but there is no way to secure the bike in the folded position. It flops everywhere. I'm going to see what can be done with bungees. The ride and handling are very much like a full size bike. In hindsight we should not have bought it even though we paid $1400 for ours. I'd save the money for nice meals on the coast. Take the bus, and when you get there, walk everywhere. My Stoker is blind as well but when she got on this beach buggy I had to get my own to keep up with her.
Old 04-29-23, 08:09 AM
fooferdoggie 

Originally Posted by Leisesturm
I don't know but I doubt that Twin Air is a folding model. Looks cool though. We live in Portland too but when I was looking there wasn't anything on Craigslist. We bought our Two'sday off Tandem Classifieds. A couple in Florida had one for sale. We don't use it nearly as much as we thought we would. It folds quickly enough but there is no way to secure the bike in the folded position. It flops everywhere. I'm going to see what can be done with bungees. The ride and handling are very much like a full size bike. In hindsight we should not have bought it even though we paid $1400 for ours. I'd save the money for nice meals on the coast. Take the bus, and when you get there, walk everywhere. My Stoker is blind as well but when she got on this beach buggy I had to get my own to keep up with her.
we won't use it a lot only in travel. If we want to go way out on the bus then ride. but we have used up all we can get to at the coast by foot. there are other places we can get to on the bus like Astoria but its way to spread out to spend a whole day on foot. there used to be cab service down there and the local bus would come once a hour no more cabs and the bus is very limited and Lyft and such don't usually work down there. We just dont have any other way to get around. Plus we ride so much we cant walk as far as we used too. I will work out streams to lock it together too.