Go Back  Bike Forums > Bike Forums > Commuting
Reload this Page >

Been out of the game for a few years & miss it

Notices
Commuting Bicycle commuting is easier than you think, before you know it, you'll be hooked. Learn the tips, hints, equipment, safety requirements for safely riding your bike to work.

Old 04-01-23, 06:40 AM
steve-in-kville 
Warehouse Monkey

Mentioned: 5 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 305 Post(s)
Liked 7 Times in 2 Posts

Haven't commuted since early 2019. Life got in the way, world got turned on its side and then the pandemic. Got three good bikes in the basement, one of which is a 13 y/o Specialized Hardrock. Plan to upfit it for commuting again. Have a box full of lights, bags and accessories. Time to get back in the saddle, literally. Riding was my life. I miss it.

This is all.
Old 04-01-23, 07:05 AM
BobbyG

Bikes: 2015 Charge Plug, 2007 Dahon Boardwalk, 1997 Nishiki Blazer, 1984 Nishiki International, 2006 Felt F65, 1989 Dahon Getaway V

Mentioned: 54 Post(s)
Quoted: 1359 Post(s)
Liked 1,658 Times in 822 Posts
Your bikes are calling out to you so loudly to be ridden to work, I think I can even hear them.

Go rediscover your bliss and report back.
Likes For BobbyG:
Old 04-01-23, 08:50 AM
steve-in-kville 
Warehouse Monkey

Liked 7 Times in 2 Posts
Originally Posted by BobbyG
Your bikes are calling out to you so loudly to be ridden to work, I think I can even hear them.

Go rediscover your bliss and report back.
Thanks! I dug out a box of headlamps and blinkers... headlamps still had a bit of a charge! Go figure....

Yeah, I've been hearing them calling, too. I have a BOB trailer somewhere, all manner of bags and panniers, the works. I had road slicks on the Hardrock and I think I bought a new pair right before I stopped riding. Gotta be around here somewhere...
Old 04-01-23, 12:14 PM
Korina
Happy banana slug

Location: Arcata, California, U.S., North America, Earth, Saggitarius Arm, Milky Way

Bikes: 1984 Araya MB 261, 1992 Specialized Rockhopper Sport, 1993 Hard Rock Ultra, 1994 Trek Multitrack 750, 1995 Trek Singletrack 930

Mentioned: 31 Post(s)
Quoted: 1524 Post(s)
Liked 1,514 Times in 907 Posts
Go you! Pics when the bike is presentable, please.

I also miss commuting; I've been COVID unemployed since 2020, and am now unfit for work. I'm trying to get back on the bike, but it turns out I'm very not self-motivated. Well, and it keeps raining.
Old 04-02-23, 03:23 PM
breadbin

Bikes: Raleigh 531c, Marin Muirwoods, Brodie Romax

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Quoted: 33 Post(s)
Liked 4 Times in 3 Posts
Out of interest how long is the commute? I'm still trying to psyche myself up for mine. Hope you actually listen to the bikes now
Old 04-03-23, 12:37 PM
MNBikeCommuter

Bikes: Cannondale '92 T600 '95 H600 '01 RT1000

Quoted: 89 Post(s)
Liked 104 Times in 80 Posts
Today's the 32nd anniversary of my first commute as an adult (i.e., not a paper route). 6.5 miles to work and I could barely climb the one flight of stairs when I got there. I vowed I would never let myself get that out of shape again, and I haven't. The commuting ended almost three years ago with covid. I was getting burned out so it's been mixed feelings. Since '04, I'd had a half century round trip commute and it was wearing, both mentally and physically. I've managed to keep up the "afternoon commute" and get out for 30-40 miles most days. It's been nice not dealing with all the commuting logistics--clothing, food, constant eye on weather, batteries that will last both morning and evening commutes, etc. But, there are many aspects I do miss. Now is the time of year when the birds are back. They'd be cheering me on in the mornings if I were still commuting.

Yes, get the bikes out. Get the commuting stuff organized and start riding again.
Likes For MNBikeCommuter:
Old 04-05-23, 02:44 PM
steve-in-kville 
Warehouse Monkey

Liked 7 Times in 2 Posts
Originally Posted by breadbin
Out of interest how long is the commute? I'm still trying to psyche myself up for mine. Hope you actually listen to the bikes now
Currently just shy of four miles, uphill both ways. One thing that did change is my employer got a little more bike friendly and has a spot out of the weather to lock bikes up.
Old 04-06-23, 05:32 AM
MNBikeCommuter

Bikes: Cannondale '92 T600 '95 H600 '01 RT1000

Quoted: 89 Post(s)
Liked 104 Times in 80 Posts
Originally Posted by steve-in-kville
Currently just shy of four miles, uphill both ways. One thing that did change is my employer got a little more bike friendly and has a spot out of the weather to lock bikes up.
You forgot "and headwind both ways." That's great to hear your employer's doing a little better. The bike racks at my current employer were, ummm, "inadequate," so the few of us biking would just take our bikes up the elevators in the 14 story building and park outside our cubes. No complaints from any co-workers and it actually inspired some to stop in and ask about it and ACTUALLY START BIKING TO WORK. Then one day someone from some security office tracked me down: "No bikes allowed in the building. They're a fire hazard!!!" (In short, they weren't. I start getting steamed thinking about it and that was like 15 years ago.)

I vented to my manager in an email and laid out all my thoughts. Don't you suppose that within a week, a corporate email was sent out that ten bike lockers had been ordered and would be installed on the patio right outside the rear entrance. My manager had forwarded my email and it went up the chain to a VP... The lockers were actually a much better logistic for us than hauling our bikes up the elevator when everyone was trying to use them, etc. And a few years later, another ten had to be ordered.

And now post-covid, they sit empty out on that patio...
Likes For MNBikeCommuter:
Old 04-08-23, 09:26 AM
steve-in-kville 
Warehouse Monkey

Liked 7 Times in 2 Posts
Originally Posted by MNBikeCommuter

And now post-covid, they sit empty out on that patio...
We had a few people commute by bike over the years, for one reason or another. Last guy got all wrapped up in the e-bike thing. Before that we had an older man ride to work on an ancient 10-speed (good for him!). As of now, no one rides anymore.
Old 04-08-23, 11:00 AM
rudypyatt

Bikes: Windsor TimeLine; Linus Gaston 3; Sears Free Spirit

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 43 Post(s)
Liked 99 Times in 46 Posts
Yesterday I did my first bike commute in 10 years; about 28 miles round trip. I was a bit surprised that I was able to do it, but I was thinking about it for awhile. Good luck getting back into the groove!
Likes For rudypyatt:
Old 04-11-23, 08:24 AM
Smokinapankake

Mentioned: 6 Post(s)
Quoted: 217 Post(s)
Liked 654 Times in 255 Posts
First commute of the season today for me. 35 mile RT, but mostly flat. Harder than it should have been, but we've had a long, hard winter here in northern Utah this year, so I'm not in shape. As a mostly fair weather commuter, it's taken a toll this year. But it feels great and I commend you for heeding the call!
Old 05-05-23, 01:52 PM
RidingMatthew
Let's Ride!

Bikes: --2010 Jamis 650b1-- 2016 Cervelo R2-- 2018 Salsa Journeyman 650B

Mentioned: 22 Post(s)
Quoted: 327 Post(s)
Liked 37 Times in 24 Posts
You can do it! I commuted for the first time in a year an 8 months if you dont count the "commutes" while working from home during the Covid years. It felt so good to be on the bike. I am slower than I was though.
Likes For RidingMatthew: