Go Back  Bike Forums > Bike Forums > Electric Bikes
Reload this Page >

Disappointed in Swytch

Notices
Electric Bikes Here's a place to discuss ebikes, from home grown to high-tech.

Disappointed in Swytch

Old 03-31-23, 07:34 PM
kayakindude

Bikes: 1987 Cannondale SR600/BioPace, 1991 Cannondale Road Tandem,1994 Giant Iguana MB, 2009 Airnimal Chameleon, 2016 Dahon Vybe C7A

Mentioned: 6 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 121 Post(s)
Liked 100 Times in 63 Posts
I'm the positive poster but certainly noted areas in need of improvement during my setup phase. Like other posters some of us just wanted to dip our toes into an assist system.

I think I was attracted to the clip in handlebar system. I've never installed the 2nd motor but we love the easy battery swap for the tandem on plus 50 rides.

I'm sure there are plenty of options and folks should be encouraged to review and share their introduction to assisted kits.

Swytch has sold a ton of kits and they keep updating, so they must be doing something right.
Old 05-06-23, 02:59 PM
mrcelsius

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Snap!

Originally Posted by davidjpowers
Like others, I waited 6 months to receive part of my kit. What was supposed to be delivered in November of last year didn't arrive until January of this year and was missing the battery and charger. Those came in around late February, and when I attempted to follow the instructions, I discovered that I was missing a dongle to connect the charger to the battery. After being instructed to search my shipping boxes thoroughly because the dongle was a small part that I may have missed, I finally convinced them that my kit shipped without the dongle. A new one was supposed to be shipped to me, but it didn't arrive until yesterday, nearly a month after identifying it as missing. The excuse this time was the same availability issue. After charging the battery as prescribed, I attempted to fit the wheel to the fork and discovered the axle was too large to fit the fork. To verify that it was indeed the axle, I tried another bike and experienced the same problem. I ordered this kit almost a year ago and I am done giving them the benefit of the doubt. I'll update everyone later on my return experience.
Similar experience - although I had everything else I was missing the dongle. Also told it must be my fault for losing it. Still waiting over a month later and the Customer Support department maintain a strict radio silence. Net result - I have parted with what is for me a considerable sum of cash with nothing to show for it.
Old 05-06-23, 04:05 PM
awac

Bikes: 1980 Gitane sprint,1977 Motobécane C4, 1977 Carlton Clubman, 1959 Claud Butler European

Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Quoted: 69 Post(s)
Liked 122 Times in 78 Posts
Originally Posted by silvaexplorer
I received my Swytch kit at the end of December however problems with the motor I decided to send it back for a refund but Swytch maintains that there was damage to the metal on the motor and have reduced the amount I will receive back by £150 I only rode my ebike conversion on 5 occasions and there was no damage when I sent it back I do not recommend this company.
In the UK there is a law called section 75, which requires your credit card company to pursue the retailer on your behalf. Not many people realise it. I wonder if you have the same law in the US? I expect you used a credit card to buy it?

https://www.moneysavingexpert.com/re...s/#whatSection

75 is an important UK consumer protection law made in the 1970s that means your credit provider must take the same responsibility as the retailer if things go wrong with a purchase. Yet it doesn't work on all purchases – just those costing a certain amount:

Section 75 means that if you pay for something costing over £100 and less than £30,000 on credit, the lender's equally liable (along with the retailer) if something goes wrong.

This isn't the credit provider being nice. It's a legal protection put in place so that you're never in the position of paying off debt for something you either didn't receive, or wasn't as it should've been. Whether it's a flight, kitchen, computer, or anything else, pay on a credit card, store card or with store instalment credit, and the credit provider's responsible too.
Old 07-28-23, 10:48 AM
LL South Dakota

Quoted: 1 Post(s)
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Same 9mm dropout here. Swytch got back to me immediately by email with a YouTube video for filing down the axle flats and washer. All is well, and I'm so happy I didn't give up on this kit. Never file the dropouts! Swytch email explained that my warranty will not be voided by this do-it-yourself fix. My Trek Domane did not have room for the pedal sensor and magnetic disk so chose a different/older bike that I had. Again, I'm happy with my choice.
Old 09-10-23, 07:50 AM
bikerwannabe

Quoted: 1 Post(s)
Liked 2 Times in 2 Posts
Thumbs up

Originally Posted by LL South Dakota
Same 9mm dropout here. Swytch got back to me immediately by email with a YouTube video for filing down the axle flats and washer. All is well, and I'm so happy I didn't give up on this kit. Never file the dropouts! Swytch email explained that my warranty will not be voided by this do-it-yourself fix. My Trek Domane did not have room for the pedal sensor and magnetic disk so chose a different/older bike that I had. Again, I'm happy with my choice.
I had a similar experience. Swytch support got back to me in less than 24 hrs (via email)