Go Back  Bike Forums > Bike Forums > Fitting Your Bike
Reload this Page >

Anyone ride one size up?

Search
Notices
Fitting Your Bike Are you confused about how you should fit a bike to your particular body dimensions? Have you been reading, found the terms Merxx or French Fit, and don’t know what you need? Every style of riding is different- in how you fit the bike to you, and the sizing of the bike itself. It’s more than just measuring your height, reach and inseam. With the help of Bike Fitting, you’ll be able to find the right fit for your frame size, style of riding, and your particular dimensions. Here ya’ go…..the location for everything fit related.

Anyone ride one size up?

Search this Thread

Old 04-17-23, 08:25 PM
WT21

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 119 Post(s)
Liked 23 Times in 18 Posts
Anyone ride one size up?

All the charts say I should ride a 56cm or M/L (I'm at the top of the range at 6' tall). I'm shopping a road bike, having a 56cm Domane now that I'm going to commit to the trainer in the basement, and there's a well priced Giant TCR, sized L (about 58cm) that frankly feels pretty comfortable to ride.

My bike fitter, who is selling this bike, suggests he should swap out the stem to reduce it down by 10cm. I am also concerned about the 175mm cranks, given everything I'm reading about shorter, not longer, cranks, and the 44cm handlebars - the 42cm bars on my current Domane already feel wide. He's selling this TCR $500 below retail, so I have some room to change stuff, but the difference would be eaten up by stem, crank, and handle bar adjustments. HOWEVER this could be an opportunity to get the cranks and handle bars I want, rather than just stock.

Anyone else ride one size up, or tried a bike one size up? Success? Failure? Crazy? Reasonable?

Last edited by WT21; 04-17-23 at 09:04 PM.
Old 04-17-23, 09:22 PM
jon c. 

Mentioned: 5 Post(s)
Quoted: 1591 Post(s)
Liked 1,018 Times in 571 Posts
Fitting theory has changed over the years. 50 years ago people tended to ride larger frames with less seatpost exposed. If it's comfortable, go for it.
Likes For jon c.:
Old 04-18-23, 05:47 AM
Bald Paul

Mentioned: 3 Post(s)
Quoted: 817 Post(s)
Liked 1,651 Times in 778 Posts
I'm in that "in between" range as well - either a 54 or 56cm frame. I started out with a 56, changed to a shorter stem, changed the cranks, etc. The bike never really felt comfortable on a longer ride. I felt like I was too stretched out. Now I ride a 54, and it's a world of difference. I think it's easier to go with the smaller frame and fit it to your body than it is to try to 'shrink' a larger one.
Likes For Bald Paul:
Old 04-18-23, 09:09 AM
Iride01 
I'm good to go!

Bikes: Tarmac Disc Comp Di2 - 2020

Mentioned: 51 Post(s)
Quoted: 6186 Post(s)
Liked 4,803 Times in 3,313 Posts
When I was looking at new bikes a few years ago, the 58cm frame felt better for my 5'-11" height and 34.5" inseam than the 56cm of the same model. However that was just sitting on them in the shop and a ride around the parking lot. After riding each for 10 miles, the 56cm won out for quite a few reasons.

Wider bars on the 58cm bike braced me too much against side to side sway and my shoulders took all the brunt of the force.
The 175mm cranks were just way too big since I am use to 165mm cranks. I felt like I was thrashing at high cadences and it was uncomfortable for the more aero position I desired. I was felt worn out after those first 10 miles, but the second 10 miles on the 56cm bike and I recovered and felt ready to do 20 or 30 more miles.

While you can make a bike of most any size fit you well, you might have to change a lot of stuff to get it there. Cranks, bars and stems can start to add up. So if you can, try to ride the bikes as far as they'll let you. The bikes I rode weren't the bikes I was actually going to buy, but they were the same frames with lower tier group sets and wheels on them.
Likes For Iride01:
Old 04-18-23, 11:39 AM
WT21

Quoted: 119 Post(s)
Liked 23 Times in 18 Posts
Originally Posted by Iride01
When I was looking at new bikes a few years ago, the 58cm frame felt better for my 5'-11" height and 34.5" inseam than the 56cm of the same model. However that was just sitting on them in the shop and a ride around the parking lot. After riding each for 10 miles, the 56cm won out for quite a few reasons.

Wider bars on the 58cm bike braced me too much against side to side sway and my shoulders took all the brunt of the force.
The 175mm cranks were just way too big since I am use to 165mm cranks. I felt like I was thrashing at high cadences and it was uncomfortable for the more aero position I desired. I was felt worn out after those first 10 miles, but the second 10 miles on the 56cm bike and I recovered and felt ready to do 20 or 30 more miles.

While you can make a bike of most any size fit you well, you might have to change a lot of stuff to get it there. Cranks, bars and stems can start to add up. So if you can, try to ride the bikes as far as they'll let you. The bikes I rode weren't the bikes I was actually going to buy, but they were the same frames with lower tier group sets and wheels on them.
Thanks for the personal experience.

Yeah. I may be trying to convince myself on the Large/58 because of the price, but looking at geometry and other stuff this morning, probably stick with 56. Swap out the crank to a 52/36 and get better tires might be all I need out of the gate.
Old 04-18-23, 11:45 AM
zandoval 

Bikes: Univega, Peu P6, Peu PR-10, Ted Williams, Peu UO-8, Peu UO-18 Mixte, Peu Dolomites

Mentioned: 13 Post(s)
Quoted: 960 Post(s)
Liked 1,626 Times in 1,044 Posts
Had a nice 80s FUJI that was way to big for me. Called it my Horse cause I had to jump on and off of it. Still it was a very nice ride...

So how did I end up with a too big bike? Long story but its what I had to ride at the time.

Ya do what ya have to do, to ride...
Old 04-18-23, 11:56 AM
boozergut

Bikes: Kona Dew, Gary Fisher Paragon, Salsa Campeon

Quoted: 116 Post(s)
Liked 126 Times in 80 Posts
I have very short legs for my height. Bike fitters have always tried to put me on a 56 cm whereas a 54 cm fits me perfectly. I also enjoy more of a hunch backed riding position.
Likes For boozergut:
Old 04-18-23, 12:10 PM
Juan Foote
LBKA (formerly punkncat)

Bikes: Spec Roubaix SL4, GT Traffic 1.0

Mentioned: 17 Post(s)
Quoted: 2208 Post(s)
Liked 960 Times in 686 Posts
I have ridden between 56 and 61 frames, according to the geometry and frankly, my ability to reach the ground due to my prosthesis. That was the specific reason I chose to go too small with my first "road bike back". I selected two after that which were both 58 and sat so completely different that I was amazed they could even BE categorized as the same size. I later purchased a 61 fixie from BD and it felt wonderful to me to ride so long as I didn't have to stop and get off the bike. That subsequently led me to purchase a "larger than 58" city style hybrid like bike. Given how little I ride now, if I were to select another bike it may be a combination of both a smaller frame again as well as taller geometry on the bars/stem area to sit a bit more upright.
Likes For Juan Foote:
Old 04-18-23, 06:01 PM
downtube42

Bikes: Trek Domane SL6 Gen 3, Soma Fog Cutter, Focus Mares AL, Detroit Bikes Sparrow FG, Volae Team, Nimbus MUni

Mentioned: 11 Post(s)
Quoted: 896 Post(s)
Liked 2,059 Times in 1,078 Posts
It think it depends how the rest of the bike fits.

I ride a larger bike because I want/need more stack height and more reach - more than I want to address with spacers and stem length.
Likes For downtube42:
Old 04-20-23, 11:18 AM
oldbobcat

Bikes: '80 Masi Gran Criterium, '12 Trek Madone, early '60s Frejus track

Mentioned: 6 Post(s)
Quoted: 513 Post(s)
Liked 447 Times in 336 Posts
Think of it this way. You have a standing height, a sitting height, and an unfolded height. Often, they are not proportional. If you have long legs, your sitting height is shorter---that often means shorter top tube and taller seat/head tube. If you have long arms, your unfolded height is taller--that often means size up and/or a longer stem, and you might want to shrink that head tube. The bike brand will have something to do with it. For instance, for me a 56 cm Trek is just too small, where with Specialized, Cannondale, Scott, or Cervelo, that would be just right. A Felt would just be too long and low. My 58 cm Trek is pretty sweet. My ultimate fit was a M/L Giant TCR with 175 mm cranks, but that was a long time ago.

Last edited by oldbobcat; 04-20-23 at 11:24 AM.
Likes For oldbobcat:
Old 04-26-23, 07:23 PM
Kontact 

Mentioned: 41 Post(s)
Quoted: 4369 Post(s)
Liked 1,546 Times in 1,012 Posts
The difference between two sizes usually comes down to 1cm of added reach and 2cm of stem height. If you aren't at the extremes of height or stem length, there is no real issue.

I am too short to be riding a 52, but there is nothing about that bike (except standover - level TT) that makes riding it weird.
Likes For Kontact:
Old 04-27-23, 03:08 PM
Bob Ross
your god hates me

Bikes: 2016 Richard Sachs, 2010 Carl Strong, 2006 Cannondale Synapse

Mentioned: 10 Post(s)
Quoted: 1248 Post(s)
Liked 1,275 Times in 705 Posts
Originally Posted by WT21
Anyone else ride one size up, or tried a bike one size up?
Well... not intentionally. But fwiw, when I first transitioned from Casual Utility Cyclist to full-on Obsessive Recreational Roadie, I bought a very nice swanky new Cannondale in a size 58, based on the recommendation of the sales dude at the LBS.

And I still have that bike, and lately (for a variety of circumstances unrelated to size/fit) I've actually been riding that bike more than any of my other bikes.

But in the years after getting that 58cm Cannondale I had one professional bike fit, and had two custom bikes built for me by framebuilders who have their own fitting methodologies, and all of them recommended a slightly-smaller-than-58cm top tube. One of the custom frames is closer to 57cm, the other is 56.5. Oh yeah, plus I bought an off-the-shelf cyclocross bike in a 56cm size and it seems to fit fine.

And yet, when I'm riding that 58cm bike I don't find myself thinking "oh, gosh, this feels so huge!" It feels fine. It's only when I get back to riding the custom bikes that I think "Ah, now this feels sublime!" ...which I never say to myself on the 58cm Cannondale.

Last edited by Bob Ross; 04-28-23 at 06:52 AM.
Old 04-29-23, 12:46 PM
phughes

Mentioned: 7 Post(s)
Quoted: 1034 Post(s)
Liked 1,290 Times in 743 Posts
Originally Posted by Kontact
The difference between two sizes usually comes down to 1cm of added reach and 2cm of stem height. If you aren't at the extremes of height or stem length, there is no real issue.

I am too short to be riding a 52, but there is nothing about that bike (except standover - level TT) that makes riding it weird.
Yep, which is why I chose the larger of two frame sizes when I got my touring bike. Since I wanted my bars higher than a regular road bike, the higher head tube was a benefit.
Old 04-30-23, 12:32 AM
oldbobcat

Bikes: '80 Masi Gran Criterium, '12 Trek Madone, early '60s Frejus track

Mentioned: 6 Post(s)
Quoted: 513 Post(s)
Liked 447 Times in 336 Posts
All the charts say I should ride a 56cm or M/L (I'm at the top of the range at 6' tall). I'm shopping a road bike, having a 56cm Domane now that I'm going to commit to the trainer in the basement, and there's a well priced Giant TCR, sized L (about 58cm) that frankly feels pretty comfortable to ride.
Getting back to the OP, by all measures the large Giant is too big for a 6-footer unless you have a 91 cm inseam. Insist on a M/L It won't satisfy your bike-buying jones but you won't be doubting your decision a year from now. Life is too short to be riding ******-fitting bicycles.
Likes For oldbobcat:
Old 05-05-23, 04:00 PM
Wildwood 
Veteran, Pacifist

Bikes: Bikes??? Thought this was social media?!?

Mentioned: 284 Post(s)
Quoted: 3898 Post(s)
Liked 4,830 Times in 2,228 Posts
"... about 58cm that, frankly, feels comfortable to ride"

IMO, there is your question answered.

FWIW = 186cm tall (6'1"), 87cm (34") cycling inseam - ride 60-62cm frames.
edit: 38cm bars seem my best width and newer bike builds are with 170 or 172.5mm cranks (175s on my older builds)

Last edited by Wildwood; 05-05-23 at 04:04 PM.
Old 05-06-23, 10:08 AM
Kontact 

I'm sorry, I missed this. The "normal" size for someone 6 feet tall is 58cm. I was just looking at the Trek fit tool and it said 58 for your height all the way down to a 32" inseam.

Which charts are you looking at?
Likes For Kontact:
Old 05-08-23, 05:28 AM
Lombard
Sock Puppet

Bikes: 2014 Cannondale Synapse Carbon, 2017 Jamis Renegade Exploit and too many others to mention.

Mentioned: 4 Post(s)
Quoted: 1031 Post(s)
Liked 863 Times in 573 Posts
Originally Posted by Kontact
I'm sorry, I missed this. The "normal" size for someone 6 feet tall is 58cm. I was just looking at the Trek fit tool and it said 58 for your height all the way down to a 32" inseam.

Which charts are you looking at?
This was my thought. I'm 5' 9 1/2", 32 inseam and take a 56. A 56 is too small for someone 6 feet tall. I've tried 54's and they felt like clown bikes.

Originally Posted by Bald Paul
I think it's easier to go with the smaller frame and fit it to your body than it is to try to 'shrink' a larger one.
I think it's wrong to make a general statement like this. Whether it's easier or better to make a larger or smaller frame fit is a big.........it depends. Do you like a more upright riding position or a more aggressive race position. If you like to ride more upright, the shorter headtube of the smaller frame is difficult to compensate for. A more upright stem can only get you so far.
Old 05-08-23, 06:39 AM
Bald Paul

Mentioned: 3 Post(s)
Quoted: 817 Post(s)
Liked 1,651 Times in 778 Posts
Originally Posted by Lombard
This was my thought. I'm 5' 9 1/2", 32 inseam and take a 56. A 56 is too small for someone 6 feet tall. I've tried 54's and they felt like clown bikes.

I think it's wrong to make a general statement like this. Whether it's easier or better to make a larger or smaller frame fit is a big.........it depends. Do you like a more upright riding position or a more aggressive race position. If you like to ride more upright, the shorter headtube of the smaller frame is difficult to compensate for. A more upright stem can only get you so far.
Then I guess we're both wrong. I'm 5'10", had a 56cm and it was too big. After a professional bike fitting, I went to a 54 "clown bike" and instantly regretted getting the 56 (it was sold.) The 54 is super comfortable.
I guess the 'correct' answer (or opinion) would be to find a pro fitter and spend the money to get it done correctly, instead of asking "experts" on a forum that don't know you or your riding style.
Likes For Bald Paul:
Old 05-08-23, 06:56 AM
RB1-luvr
I don't know.

Bikes: '90 B'stone RB-1, '92 B'stone RB-2, '89 SuperGo Access Comp, '03 Access 69er, '23 Trek 520, '14 Ritchey Road Logic, '09 Kestrel Evoke, '08 Windsor Tourist, '17 Surly Wednesday, '89 Centurion Accordo, '15 CruX, '17 Ridley X-Night, '89 Marinoni

Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Quoted: 316 Post(s)
Liked 852 Times in 445 Posts
At 5-10", 32 inseam, I raced 56s in the 80s-90s and still ride them. Any purchases made after that have been 54s, except for a vintage Bridgestone recently which is a 56 and fits fine just like back in the day. Top tube length has a lot to do with what works for me.
Old 05-08-23, 07:03 AM
Kontact 

Then I guess we're both wrong. I'm 5'10", had a 56cm and it was too big. After a professional bike fitting, I went to a 54 "clown bike" and instantly regretted getting the 56 (it was sold.) The 54 is super comfortable.
I guess the 'correct' answer (or opinion) would be to find a pro fitter and spend the money to get it done correctly, instead of asking "experts" on a forum that don't know you or your riding style.
Considering that the typical difference between a 54 and 56 is only 15mm of top tube length, what was the problem? And did you get the same model in a 54 or a completely different frame?
Old 05-08-23, 10:27 AM
Lombard
Sock Puppet

Bikes: 2014 Cannondale Synapse Carbon, 2017 Jamis Renegade Exploit and too many others to mention.

Mentioned: 4 Post(s)
Quoted: 1031 Post(s)
Liked 863 Times in 573 Posts
Exactly. Like I said.......it depends.
Likes For Lombard:
Old 05-08-23, 12:09 PM
Iride01 
I'm good to go!

Bikes: Tarmac Disc Comp Di2 - 2020

Mentioned: 51 Post(s)
Quoted: 6186 Post(s)
Liked 4,803 Times in 3,313 Posts
It's really not good, IMO, to assume the same size bike in one model of bike is the proper size bike in other models of bicycles. Even from the same manufacturer. And sometimes you can clearly see that when you run the sizing guide for various models of their bikes.

Although I have seen a few bike manufacturers that don't have a wide variety of different geometries between their models use the same recommendation for every model of their bikes.

I was between a 58 and 56 cm size according to Specialized's sizing chart for the Tarmac. I went with the smaller and like it a lot, but I'm wondering if I might have liked the 54 cm even better. Though I'd probably have to keep the 30 mm of spacers under the stem.

Last edited by Iride01; 05-08-23 at 12:13 PM.
Old 05-09-23, 07:28 AM
Kontact 

Originally Posted by Iride01
It's really not good, IMO, to assume the same size bike in one model of bike is the proper size bike in other models of bicycles. Even from the same manufacturer. And sometimes you can clearly see that when you run the sizing guide for various models of their bikes.

Although I have seen a few bike manufacturers that don't have a wide variety of different geometries between their models use the same recommendation for every model of their bikes.

I was between a 58 and 56 cm size according to Specialized's sizing chart for the Tarmac. I went with the smaller and like it a lot, but I'm wondering if I might have liked the 54 cm even better. Though I'd probably have to keep the 30 mm of spacers under the stem.
You shouldnt assume anything when spending thousands of dollars when geometry charts are universally available. However, most manufacturers have no reason to sew confusion and anger among their clients by severely screwing with sizing. It isn't like "58" is an actual seat tube measure anymore - it functions more like a dress size in suggesting an overall fit. That's why height is a closer guide than leg length.

The main thing that has happened since sloping top tubes is that there is a wild variation in head tube lengths between different models. This can be a real boon to people with long legs, but a pain for sportier riders or folks with long torsos. Geometry charts are available - be a smart consumer.
Old 05-10-23, 01:55 PM
BFC

Bikes: Cervelo R5ca, Giant TCR Advanced, Neil Pride, Cervelo P5x

Quoted: 7 Post(s)
Liked 2 Times in 2 Posts
1 size larger should be fine, can 'fine-tune' with different stem and saddle position and maybe cranks