Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 5 Post(s)
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
My Trek is an 850, also.

Maybe I'll just leave it be.
Old 03-15-09, 09:56 PM
Doohickie
You gonna eat that?

Bikes: 1966 Raleigh DL-1 Tourist, 1973 Schwinn Varsity, 1983 Raleigh Marathon, 1994 Nishiki Sport XRS

Mentioned: 6 Post(s)
Quoted: 164 Post(s)
Liked 67 Times in 44 Posts
I finally got my replacement cranks. Let's see how they do. For anyone who's curious, here are the before and after shots:

Before:

After:

Before:

After:

Originally Posted by bragi "However, it's never a good idea to overgeneralize."

Last edited by Doohickie; 03-15-09 at 11:03 PM.
Old 05-18-09, 11:43 AM
ebr898
wheelin in the years

Bikes: Some Schwinns, a Gary Fisher, some vintage lt wts

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked 1 Time in 1 Post
I have a recalled crank that the bike shop is waiting for Shimano to send the replacement. I have been waiting about a month and a half. The manager said shimano has been getting a little less forthcoming with the replacements.
I dumpster dived a Giant mt bike, and it has the recalled cranks also. I am wondering if I will get any better return time If I write Shimano myself.
Old 05-20-09, 09:41 AM
ebr898
wheelin in the years

Bikes: Some Schwinns, a Gary Fisher, some vintage lt wts

Liked 1 Time in 1 Post
Update I called Shimano they said they have them in stock and could send it to me, but it would be better to take it to LBS. I called differnt LBS they said no problem.
Old 04-06-10, 12:20 PM
itsmoot
in cog neato

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Bump.

FYI, Shimano's customer service number 800-353-4719 listed here and elsewhere seems to have gone kaput. For the past several weeks all you get is a recording saying "all representatives are in a meeting and will be back at 12". Methinks they all got canned at that meeting, and nobody is left to change the message.

Good new is, as of this writing you can still get replacement cranks from an authorized dealer. I took one of the recalled cranks (an FC-MC12 off a '95 Trek 730) to my LBS last week, and today received not only a replacement crank, but also a chain, bottom-bracket and derailleur. All entry-level stuff, but more than good enough for a 15-year-old hybrid.

Last edited by itsmoot; 04-07-10 at 11:42 AM. Reason: clarity
Old 08-01-11, 04:32 PM
realestvin7
Large Member

Quoted: 4 Post(s)
Liked 3 Times in 1 Post
Originally Posted by itsmoot
Bump.

FYI, Shimano's customer service number 800-353-4719 listed here and elsewhere seems to have gone kaput. For the past several weeks all you get is a recording saying "all representatives are in a meeting and will be back at 12". Methinks they all got canned at that meeting, and nobody is left to change the message.

Good new is, as of this writing you can still get replacement cranks from an authorized dealer. I took one of the recalled cranks (an FC-MC12 off a '95 Trek 730) to my LBS last week, and today received not only a replacement crank, but also a chain, bottom-bracket and derailleur. All entry-level stuff, but more than good enough for a 15-year-old hybrid.
I hate to bump this once more, but the recorded message on Shimano's phone line is still the same more than 1 year later. I have just encountered a problematic crankset that may fall within the lines of the recall.

What was failing on these cranks specifically?
Old 12-12-11, 05:47 PM
senkej

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Bad crank on Trek 850 Shimano FC-MC12

The sprocket side crank broke this morning on my Trek 850. I ended up in the middle of a busy Boston intersection. International Bike in Allston said they will take care of the warranty claim. I ruined a pair of gloves, have scraped hands and bruises. It could have been much worse. I wish I would have known about this issue before. I am thankful for this thread.
Old 03-26-12, 03:06 PM
nrowensby

Bikes: 2006 Diamondback Century

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
FWIW: This recall is still ongoing... Just dropped my bike off at LBS for new cranks, BB, chain & front derailleur. Will post update when it's done.
Old 03-28-12, 05:15 PM
virtualmonk

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
I can confirm this. My Trek was in storage for quite awhile and it was redone at a bike shop as a late Christmas/early birthday present from my son. I would have never known had the caps for my pedals not been missing. I did some research and ran across the recall for the FC-MC12. FYI, the 800 number on the recall notice still works to reach Shimano and the rep was quite emphatic that, yes, they are still honoring that recall.
Old 03-28-12, 06:54 PM
nrowensby

Bikes: 2006 Diamondback Century

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts

They are being replaced with Altus level stuff (FC-M171)... and the FD that comes with the kit is a top-pull, so it didn't work out with my bottom-pull setup.

Last edited by nrowensby; 03-28-12 at 06:59 PM.
Old 12-14-12, 01:06 AM
Daveala
Old Roller

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
I have a Trek 850 I bought used and ride around L.A. Recently ... you know what's coming ... the left crank broke all the way through about 6 cm from the hub, as I was accelerating.
(Foot, pedal, and about 11 or 12 cm of crank hit the street. Got a cut on my leg but didn't fall.)
Was planning on replacing the left crank only. But after reading this thread -- THANKS, POSTERS! -- will be trying to get the recall service.
Old 12-14-12, 06:11 PM
Daveala
Old Roller

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Update: I just got through to Shimano on that line, 800-353-4719 [option 4, for hardware], and the rep said to take the bike in to an authorized Shimano dealer/repair shop -- and my LBS (local bike shop) happens to be one -- for the recall service. Going soon! (Maybe tomorrow.)
Old 02-12-16, 02:55 PM
Reddbiker

Bikes: 69 Raleigh Sports, 69 Dunelt 3spd, 84 Raleigh Tamarack, 86 Dahon Classic III, 87 Schwinn Cimarron, 88 Peugeot Anjou, 89 Bridgestone MB-4, 93 Bridgestone XO-5, 93 Schwinn Criss Cross, 95 Cignal Melbourne Express Tandem

Quoted: 5 Post(s)
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
For anybody that is curious I took my 1995 Trek 820 into the shop this week to see if Shiamno is still honoring the recall and they are. Parts coming from California and should be here next week! New crank, front derailleur, bottom bracket and chain on a 21 year old bike for free...can't beat that. The guy at the shop said the Shimano rep didn't even blink or ask for a serial number, he just sent the parts right out. Kinda amazing customer service they have going on there.
Old 07-19-16, 09:45 PM
Cheddarpecker

Bikes: Fuji Allegro

Quoted: 44 Post(s)
Liked 1 Time in 1 Post
I'm looking at doing this on a 94 830 Trek, and once I get a good look, likely a 730 as well. We'll see what I get from the LBS.
Old 06-05-17, 12:01 PM
rumrunn6

Bikes: Bottecchia Sprint, GT Timberline 29r, Marin Muirwoods 29er, Trek FX Alpha 7.0

Mentioned: 112 Post(s)
Quoted: 5222 Post(s)
Liked 3,574 Times in 2,338 Posts
Originally Posted by Cheddarpecker
I'm looking at doing this on a 94 830 Trek, and once I get a good look, likely a 730 as well. We'll see what I get from the LBS.
anything?
Old 06-11-17, 12:04 PM
Cheddarpecker

Bikes: Fuji Allegro

Quoted: 44 Post(s)
Liked 1 Time in 1 Post
Originally Posted by rumrunn6
anything?
Local shop wasn't interested. Distant shop agreed to exchange but made it sound like a long process where my bike would sit there for months. Would not allow me to simply present the bottom bracket/crank assembly by itself. Lost interest in the 730 and 830, now collecting dust. Having too much fun on butted chrome road bikes that fit.
Old 04-18-23, 02:10 PM
ralphs

Bikes: 2001 Trek 7200, GT Avalanche, and more

Quoted: 58 Post(s)
Liked 135 Times in 65 Posts
Resurrecting this thread once again. Just had the recall done on an old (mid 90s) Trek 820 I'm fixing up for my nephew. New cranks, BB, FD, and chain. No charge. What amazed me is that I dropped the bike off on 4/10, bike was ready 4/17 (and they had to order the parts from Shimano).
Old 04-18-23, 04:55 PM
RCMoeur 
Cantilever believer

Mentioned: 5 Post(s)
Quoted: 517 Post(s)
Liked 1,774 Times in 807 Posts
Well, since the zombie is alive, I'll feed it too.

In April 2020, I ended up with a bike with the Alivio FC-MC12 Cranks of Doom - and the spider was actually rather seriously cracked.

I rebuilt the bike with different cranks and passed it on to a nonprofit. I took the cracked crank to a local bike shop (Sun Cyclery), who contacted Shimano and received a reply that it would indeed be covered under the recall.

And then waited. And waited. No big deal, as I had plenty of cranks in storage. Plus it being 2020 and all that unpleasantness.

In December 2020, I get a call from the bike shop. Shimano had delivered, and I ended up with a new crankset, bottom bracket, front derailleur, and chain. All of which will (or already has) likely ended up on bikes for nonprofits. Can't complain, and it made me feel better that Shimano was standing behind their products (with a teeny bit of persuasion from the CPSC).

Last edited by RCMoeur; 04-18-23 at 04:58 PM.
Likes For RCMoeur:
Old 05-01-23, 06:49 AM
NJgreyhead

Bikes: Frequently

Mentioned: 4 Post(s)
Quoted: 158 Post(s)
Liked 250 Times in 130 Posts
A tad late to the "party," but I just saw this and checked in my shed. The 1996 GT Outpost grocery-getter, bought off CL in 2009, has the FC-M290 crank.
I just called Shimano, but it is too early in the day for them to pick up. Hopefully I can resolve this thru my local REI store.

Bixid if you are still around... Thanks for this thread and others for all the additional info!
Zombies rule!
Likes For NJgreyhead:
Old 05-12-23, 02:51 AM
NJgreyhead

Originally Posted by NJgreyhead
A tad late to the "party," but I just saw this and checked in my shed. The 1996 GT Outpost grocery-getter, bought off CL in 2009, has the FC-M290 crank.
I just called Shimano, but it is too early in the day for them to pick up. Hopefully I can resolve this thru my local REI store.

Bixid if you are still around... Thanks for this thread and others for all the additional info!
Zombies rule!
I heard back from my local REI. They said Shimano is sending out a replacement ("the last one they had" ??), and that I should have my bike back next week.
Then the tech said that my cost would be $80 for labor, which surprised me. I thought that might be covered as well, but I let it go, for now. I don't consider it a rip, just unexpected. Also, I wonder if the $80 is net of my 20% member discount for service. Guess I'll find out.
Old 05-12-23, 05:03 AM
ralphs

I heard back from my local REI. They said Shimano is sending out a replacement ("the last one they had" ??), and that I should have my bike back next week.
Then the tech said that my cost would be $80 for labor, which surprised me. I thought that might be covered as well, but I let it go, for now. I don't consider it a rip, just unexpected. Also, I wonder if the $80 is net of my 20% member discount for service. Guess I'll find out.
When I had mine replaced about a month ago, it was no charge for labor. I would double-check with REI and/ or contact Shimano.
I checked on how much the parts (crankset/ chainwheels, front derailleur, BB, and chain) and it was about $80).
Recalls are supposed to be at no cost to the consumer.
Likes For ralphs:
Old 05-12-23, 12:41 PM
NJgreyhead

OK, I just spoke to a Shimano rep. He says the shop gets some allowance for shipping or whatever, but it is limited, and he could not disclose the amount.
What the shop charges for installation is up to the shop.
Old 05-12-23, 02:18 PM
RCMoeur 
Cantilever believer

Mentioned: 5 Post(s)
Quoted: 517 Post(s)
Liked 1,774 Times in 807 Posts
You might want to call the CPSC at 800-638-2772 to get more information prior to paying for recall work. My exchange was done at no charge in 2020 (although it took 5 months during that difficult year).
Old 05-12-23, 02:47 PM
ralphs

OK, I just spoke to a Shimano rep. He says the shop gets some allowance for shipping or whatever, but it is limited, and he could not disclose the amount.
What the shop charges for installation is up to the shop.
Don't know if it made a difference, but I took my Trek 820 to a Trek dealer LBS for the no-charge recall work