Go Back  Bike Forums > Bike Forums > Recumbent
Reload this Page >

Anyone Using Catalyst Pedals On Your Trike?

Notices
Recumbent What IS that thing?! Recumbents may be odd looking, but they have many advantages over a "wedgie" bicycle. Discuss the in's and out's recumbent lifestyle in the recumbent forum.

Old 05-12-23, 06:41 PM
DeadGrandpa

Bikes: Too many, yet not enough.

Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 491 Post(s)
Liked 308 Times in 199 Posts

I refer to the large pedals by Pedaling Innovations, and I want to know if the grip is sufficient to keep your feet on the pedals, without additional straps.

Or, if you use the Catalyst Pedals with some kind of straps, exactly what kind of straps and how do they attach, how well do they work? Thanks!
Old 05-12-23, 09:28 PM
rollagain
Lopsided biped

Bikes: 2017 Day 6 Cyclone (the Buick); 2015 Simcoe Deluxe (the Xebec); Street Strider 3i (the not-a-bike); GreenSpeed Anura (the Black Swan)

Mentioned: 3 Post(s)
Quoted: 316 Post(s)
Liked 160 Times in 97 Posts
I bought a set and installed them on my GreenSpeed Anura. I haven't had it on the road yet, still working on some custom accessories, but I've sat on the trike and backpedaled a little and they seem very secure. I left them as they arrived, with the full complement of 18 grub-screws per side, and moved my feet around--or tried to--to test their grip. They grip better than any pedal I've ever used before, and in order to reposition a foot I had to lift it clear away from the pedal.

I don't feel that straps are necessary; the pressure of your leg from that slight bend in the knee at the bottom of the stroke is more than enough to keep you stuck to them. And actually, if you did use straps, you'd have to cinch them up with your feet in the position you wanted, and I don't think it would be at all easy to get loose again without undoing the straps.

They replaced a bottom-line pair of plastic Wellgo pedals that came on the trike, but those are the same that were on the demo I rode at the Recumbent Cycle Con, and even those felt quite secure, although I don't consider that much of a real-world test.

The grip wasn't the primary reason I bought them though; it was their length, and I really like having that big of a support platform to push against; it's like something I never knew I was missing. That aligns with the philosophy behind the design, of supporting your arch at both ends.
Old 05-12-23, 09:59 PM
fooferdoggie 

Quoted: 680 Post(s)
Liked 947 Times in 554 Posts
I dont have a trike but I have the peddles I have their big ones for my size 13 feet. the grip is good but it depends on the shoe. using hard soled shoes suck, I tired Shimano samples and it was bad my wife tried some mountain bike shoes bad again. my keens work great.
Old 05-13-23, 12:54 PM
VegasTriker

Bikes: Catrike 700, Greenspeed GTO trike, , Linear LWB recumbent, Haluzak Horizon SWB recumbent, Balance 450 MTB, Cannondale SM800 Beast of the East

Mentioned: 19 Post(s)
Quoted: 522 Post(s)
Liked 227 Times in 179 Posts
Wow. That pedal may be longer than my trike. I don't have feet large enough to need a pedal like this but my observation from thousands of miles on three different trikes is that the only time my feet slipped off the pedal was when the trike jounced over an obstruction. You have 18 points of contact between the pedal and shoe so any other kind of slippage shouldn't happen if the sole of the shoe is not slick. I use standard pedals and strapless toe clips for all of my recumbent bikes and trikes. Perhaps you can find a strapless toe clip large enough for your size 13 foot. Glad my pedals aren't $200 a pair!
Old 05-13-23, 01:00 PM
fooferdoggie 

Quoted: 680 Post(s)
Liked 947 Times in 554 Posts
Originally Posted by VegasTriker
Wow. That pedal may be longer than my trike. I don't have feet large enough to need a pedal like this but my observation from thousands of miles on three different trikes is that the only time my feet slipped off the pedal was when the trike jounced over an obstruction. You have 18 points of contact between the pedal and shoe so any other kind of slippage shouldn't happen if the sole of the shoe is not slick. I use standard pedals and strapless toe clips for all of my recumbent bikes and trikes. Perhaps you can find a strapless toe clip large enough for your size 13 foot. Glad my pedals aren't $200 a pair!
they were only 150 before the pandemic but I dont need to pick shoes I can ride with my waterproof keens or rubber boots in the winder and sandals in the summer but with no foot flex.
Old 05-13-23, 10:38 PM
DeadGrandpa

Originally Posted by fooferdoggie
they were only 150 before the pandemic but I dont need to pick shoes I can ride with my waterproof keens or rubber boots in the winder and sandals in the summer but with no foot flex.
They are still $150, unless you have size 13 or larger feet. For those larger feet, they make an XL variation, and they are $200/pair.

I am considering the 'regular' size Catalyst Pedals because my size 10 feet have been getting the 'hot spot' symptoms after 35-40 miles of mostly continuous pedaling on a standard flat pedal, using ankle straps for safety. The prospect of a foot losing contact with the pedal and getting dragged underneath the trike in motion is very scary.

Looking at the images of the Catalyst Pedals, I can't really see how straps can potentially be attached. I hope the grub pins are sufficient. My shoes of choice are Merrill trail runners, which used to work great on the mtb flat pedals with traction pins.
Old 06-19-23, 05:52 PM
DeadGrandpa

I have worked out my strap attachment for the Catalyst Pedals. I took the Terra Trike bracket and straps off the original flat pedals. I inverted each bracket and attached them to the new pedals so that the straps cross behind my ankle and wrap around and hook up in front. Secure but still a little wiggle room to adjust my foot position.

Old 06-20-23, 09:56 AM
linberl

Bikes: Trident Spike 2 recumbent trike w/ e-assist

Mentioned: 25 Post(s)
Quoted: 1321 Post(s)
Liked 374 Times in 288 Posts
I find my MKS RMX pedals hold my 510 shoes rock solid. That said, harsh bumps will send your foot off the pedal so I have Velo Orange half toe clips which float just above my shoe so that does not happen anymore. They make a size for big feet fyi. A two sided velcro strap through the bottom of the pedal stops heel drops. So I can move my foot around all I want but it only comes of the pedal when I want.