Search
Notices
Classic and Vintage Bicycles: Whats it Worth? Appraisals. Use this subforum for all requests as to "How much is this vintage bike worth?"Do NOT try to sell it in here, use the Marketplaces.

1985 Shogun

Search this Thread

Old 04-26-23, 03:49 PM
NitroExpress

Bikes: 1974 Mirella ~ Campy Record Group, 1985 Maruishi Mountain Ace 18, 1999 Waterford 2200, 2023 Poseidon X Ambition (with lots of upgrades)

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 18 Post(s)
Liked 38 Times in 23 Posts
1985 Shogun

I have a 1985 or 1986 Shogun (I don't have the serial number, but will verify). It has a Shimano 600 Group. The bike does not have 25 miles on it. It is dirty, but will clean up spotless. I have no idea what the bike is worth? I am actually thinking of taking the group off and selling on it's own, again not sure what it's worth. The reason for taking the group off would be shipping cost... Any help would be great!

Old 04-26-23, 04:06 PM
TugaDude

Mentioned: 9 Post(s)
Quoted: 586 Post(s)
Liked 612 Times in 447 Posts
I'm sure it is pretty when it is cleaned up. Most of the Shoguns I've seen were attractive and well built. The fact this one is of a lower level tubing might cause some to not be as interested as they otherwise might be. If it were Tange Champion 1 or 2, for example. Tange #5 is straight gauge (0.9mm) cro-moly (head tube is 1.0mm). It is quality tubing, but the frame will be relatively heavy given the lack of butting. Not saying it is junk, just not light.

I've heard that folks in this situation do make more money by selling the components separately but to me it would be a shame to split up the bike in its original condition. I'm assuming the bar wrap is original? New hoods and general cleaning and maintenance (regreasing, etc.) and it is good to go.

Would make a good rider for a tallish person.

Good luck!
Old 04-26-23, 07:44 PM
plonz 

Mentioned: 45 Post(s)
Quoted: 656 Post(s)
Liked 469 Times in 302 Posts
Cleaned, lubed and ride ready, this bike could fetch $175 +/- $25. It’s lower end but in really good condition and shows well. I’d probably just cut those hoods off to help curb appeal.

The Shimano Arabesque bits have value but unfortunately Shogun went on the cheap with the Tourney brakes and crankset. I’d think around $100 +/- $20 for the groupset on a forum like this.
Old 04-26-23, 11:06 PM
3alarmer 
Friendship is Magic

Bikes: old ones

Mentioned: 304 Post(s)
Quoted: 26413 Post(s)
Liked 10,379 Times in 7,207 Posts
Originally Posted by TugaDude
...Tange #5 is straight gauge (0.9mm) cro-moly (head tube is 1.0mm). It is quality tubing, but the frame will be relatively heavy given the lack of butting. Not saying it is junk, just not light.

Would make a good rider for a tallish person.

Good luck!
...Shogun marketed a series of touring frames, and given the space between the rear wheel and the seat tube, I think (but am not sure) this might be an early one.
It was a marketing brand, and the frame manufacture was outsourced to various Japanese manufacturers. Some of their later full touring frames were pretty deluxe, as the Japanese made touring frame progressed in development.

I would expect to see a heavier frame tubing used in a larger touring frame like this one. But I think you're right on the components. So maybe they had levels of touring frames ?

There's a link to some of their later catalogs in The Official Vintage Bicycle Manufacturer Catalog List w/Links

I agree that it might be difficult to sell this for much more than a couple of hundred bucks in the current local marketing places, like CL. I agree it is a pretty solid bike, and might actually be a better choice for a larger, heavier rider who wants to set it up to tour. But it has no braze ons for racks, etc, etc. So it won't command much interest from anyone, given the component mix.

Anyway, good luck to the OP. Solid, well made, Japanese bicycle, but not many people seem to value that any more. It was not their top of the line, even when sold new.
Old 04-27-23, 08:48 AM
Mr. 66

Mentioned: 39 Post(s)
Quoted: 1142 Post(s)
Liked 1,739 Times in 960 Posts
And it needs another link in the chain in a bad way...
Old 04-27-23, 09:08 AM
TugaDude

Mentioned: 9 Post(s)
Quoted: 586 Post(s)
Liked 612 Times in 447 Posts
There's some serious cross-chaining going on. But hey, it's just a photo.
Old 04-28-23, 03:44 PM
NitroExpress

Bikes: 1974 Mirella ~ Campy Record Group, 1985 Maruishi Mountain Ace 18, 1999 Waterford 2200, 2023 Poseidon X Ambition (with lots of upgrades)

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Quoted: 18 Post(s)
Liked 38 Times in 23 Posts
Thanks for all the reply's guys!
Old 05-01-23, 03:26 AM
ramzilla

Bikes: Vintage Japanese Bicycles, Tange, Ishiwata, Kuwahara

Mentioned: 22 Post(s)
Quoted: 700 Post(s)
Liked 322 Times in 252 Posts
That's a really nice old bike. A big boy frame around 58 or 60cm. Fully lugged Tange #5. Anybody that knows what they're looking at would give at least $100 for it. Somebody that wants to build up a fully loaded touring bike might give you more.
Old 05-14-23, 11:06 AM
Hummer

Bikes: 1981 Raleigh GP, 1985 Norco Bush Pilot, . . .

Mentioned: 13 Post(s)
Quoted: 241 Post(s)
Liked 187 Times in 136 Posts
Based on the head badge I would suggest that the bicycle is a 1980 model or earlier.