Go Back  Bike Forums > Bike Forums > Beach Cruisers
Reload this Page >

Coaster brake question

Notices
Beach Cruisers Do you love balloon tires and fenders? Do you love riding the simplicity of a single gear and coaster brakes or a single gear cluster? Do you love the classic curves in the tubing of a cruiser that takes you back to the 1950's and 1960's, stylistically? Here's your home! Welcome to the Beach Cruisers and Cruisers forum!

Coaster brake question

Old 05-16-23, 01:00 PM
Cdubs

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 14 Post(s)
Liked 24 Times in 15 Posts
Coaster brake question

I haven't had coaster brakes since I was 5. My little project CCM Legacy has them and they seem to feel slack. They lock up well and stop me quickly but it is a little less than a 1/4 rotation to lock up the brakes. Would this be normal or should I pop them open and check for wear? When slowly applying the coaster brakes they seem to slow me down but the lock up seems to take longer than I recall. And I don't know anyone with an adult bike with the same braking system.
Old 05-16-23, 01:12 PM
Moe Zhoost
Half way there

Bikes: Many, and the list changes frequently

Mentioned: 5 Post(s)
Quoted: 985 Post(s)
Liked 879 Times in 526 Posts
The actuation of a coaster brake varies based on your gearing. If your gearing is on the low side it will take more backwards pedal movement to get them to kick in. The shoes in a coaster brake are steel and coated with grease. I have never seen one with what I would call wear. No harm in opening the thing up, cleaning, and re-lubing though. Deglaze the braking surface inside the hub with fine sandpaper.
Likes For Moe Zhoost:
Old 05-18-23, 07:55 AM
wilserbiker

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked 2 Times in 1 Post
I have observed that some coaster brakes are better quality and work better than others of lesser quality. If your coaster brake recollections are from your youth, two possibilities come to mind, older better quality brake, and much younger lighter rider...both instances would lead to more effective braking lol
Likes For wilserbiker: