Go Back  Bike Forums > Bike Forums > Road Cycling
Reload this Page >

Drop your heels!

Notices
Road Cycling “It is by riding a bicycle that you learn the contours of a country best, since you have to sweat up the hills and coast down them. Thus you remember them as they actually are, while in a motor car only a high hill impresses you, and you have no such accurate remembrance of country you have driven through as you gain by riding a bicycle.” -- Ernest Hemingway

Drop your heels!

Old 05-15-23, 07:15 AM
PeteHski

Mentioned: 12 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 4385 Post(s)
Liked 4,827 Times in 2,983 Posts
Originally Posted by timtak

It makes me think that this "fitter" is really bad. Why doesn't he show her how to get low like Eddy?

Tim
Firstly I don't believe for one second he is a bad fitter, but your question is interesting. I guess there are multiple reasons. For a start she's riding on the hoods in the video in a relaxed position, so she will be lower when in the drops or bending her forearms more. If you watch pros in a modern peloton, they mostly ride on the hoods like she does and lower themselves when on the front or riding solo on the flats. Here is Eddy riding on the hoods in the bunch. Not so different really.

Likes For PeteHski:
Old 05-15-23, 09:20 AM
tomato coupe

Bikes: Colnago, Van Dessel, Factor, Cervelo, Ritchey

Mentioned: 5 Post(s)
Quoted: 3942 Post(s)
Liked 7,283 Times in 2,941 Posts
What I find, and have found, strange for quite a long time (20 years) is why there is so much chest parachute ...

It makes me think that this "fitter" is really bad. Why doesn't he show her how to get low like Eddy?
One snapshot from a fitting session tells you very little about the actual fit or the abilities of the fitter.
Likes For tomato coupe:
Old 05-15-23, 09:23 AM
Carbonfiberboy 
just another gosling

Bikes: CoMo Speedster 2003, Trek 5200, CAAD 9, Fred 2004

Mentioned: 115 Post(s)
Quoted: 3885 Post(s)
Liked 1,938 Times in 1,383 Posts
What I find, and have found, strange for quite a long time (20 years) is why there is so much
chest parachute (like a drag racer) when people like Eddie
And myself on a good day, are presenting far less of a (big compared to forearm) surface area to the oncoming wind. I realise that quite a lot of folks can't get into Eddy's position but the lady in this video can. I don't understand why she does not.

Tim
Her fit and position is pretty much perfect. That's what it looks like.

I haven't posted this video in a long time, so here it is again. I think this is the sort of thing you are advocating, but with the more usual words accompanying it. If your fit is as good as hers, you're doing real well.

Old 05-16-23, 01:16 AM
genejockey 
Klaatu..Verata..Necktie?

Bikes: Litespeed Ultimate, Ultegra; Canyon Endurace, 105; Battaglin MAX, Chorus; Bianchi 928 Veloce; Ritchey Road Logic, Dura Ace; Cannondale R500 RX100; Schwinn Circuit, Sante; Lotus Supreme, Dura Ace

Mentioned: 41 Post(s)
Quoted: 10397 Post(s)
Liked 11,852 Times in 6,069 Posts
Originally Posted by PeteHski
Firstly I don't believe for one second he is a bad fitter, but your question is interesting. I guess there are multiple reasons. For a start she's riding on the hoods in the video in a relaxed position, so she will be lower when in the drops or bending her forearms more. If you watch pros in a modern peloton, they mostly ride on the hoods like she does and lower themselves when on the front or riding solo on the flats. Here is Eddy riding on the hoods in the bunch. Not so different really.

Wait, you mean Merckx didn't ride all day in the drops, with his face a mask of pain and determination? Imagine that. It's almost like the pictures Timtak posted were special moments where Merckx looked especially badass, rather than being representative of the many hours he rode in Grand Tours and Classics, week in, week out, for years.

"Everybody's gotta be somewhere." - Eccles
Old 05-17-23, 04:18 PM
timtak

Bikes: Trek Madone 5.2 SL 2007, Look KG386, R022 Re-framed Azzurri Primo, Felt Z5, Trek F7.3 FX

Mentioned: 36 Post(s)
Quoted: 404 Post(s)
Liked 85 Times in 73 Posts
Originally Posted by genejockey
Wait, you mean Merckx didn't ride all day in the drops, with his face a mask of pain and determination? Imagine that. It's almost like the pictures Timtak posted were special moments where Merckx looked especially badass, rather than being representative of the many hours he rode in Grand Tours and Classics, week in, week out, for years.
If he were not very flexible then using the drops would have resulted in a mask of pain and determination but I think that it is the fact that he is putting pedal to metal that results in that face in the first two photos. In the third, though in the the drops, he looks quite relaxed.

The only way that this lady is going to get her chest out of the wind, with this saddle position and pedalling style,

She can't stay long in the drops

is if she triples the length of her stem, or rides in a pace line, peloton, or pack.

I always ride alone. 99% of the riders I see are riding alone. But so many folks ride as if they were riding with others. Where does this imaginary pace line come from?
Old 05-17-23, 04:43 PM
genejockey 
Klaatu..Verata..Necktie?

Bikes: Litespeed Ultimate, Ultegra; Canyon Endurace, 105; Battaglin MAX, Chorus; Bianchi 928 Veloce; Ritchey Road Logic, Dura Ace; Cannondale R500 RX100; Schwinn Circuit, Sante; Lotus Supreme, Dura Ace

If he were not very flexible then using the drops would have resulted in a mask of pain and determination but I think that it is the fact that he is putting pedal to metal that results in that face in the first two photos. In the third, though in the the drops, he looks quite relaxed.

The only way that this lady is going to get her chest out of the wind, with this saddle position and pedalling style,

She can't stay long in the drops

is if she triples the length of her stem, or rides in a pace line, peloton, or pack.

I always ride alone. 99% of the riders I see are riding alone. But so many folks ride as if they were riding with others. Where does this imaginary pace line come from?
And, according to you, you only ride for about an hour. Competitive cyclists ride a lot longer than that. Let me know when you can ride in whatever position you advocate for 4-6 hours a day for 3 weeks.

Old 05-17-23, 04:49 PM
genejockey 
Klaatu..Verata..Necktie?

One should always be cautious of concluding that one has seen something that generations of others, especially those who have made a career out of studying it, have missed. It's possible, but not very likely.

Apropos of nothing in particular...“But the fact that some geniuses were laughed at does not imply that all who are laughed at are geniuses. They laughed at Columbus, they laughed at Fulton, they laughed at the Wright brothers. But they also laughed at Bozo the Clown.” - Carl Sagan

Likes For genejockey:
Old 05-19-23, 05:41 PM
Bob Ross
your god hates me

Bikes: 2016 Richard Sachs, 2010 Carl Strong, 2006 Cannondale Synapse

Mentioned: 10 Post(s)
Quoted: 1244 Post(s)
Liked 1,273 Times in 704 Posts
The only way that this lady is going to get her chest out of the wind, with this saddle position and pedalling style...is if she triples the length of her stem, or rides in a pace line, peloton, or pack.
You say that like it's a bad thing...

I always ride alone. 99% of the riders I see are riding alone.
You say that like it's a good thing...
Old 05-19-23, 07:01 PM
timtak

Bikes: Trek Madone 5.2 SL 2007, Look KG386, R022 Re-framed Azzurri Primo, Felt Z5, Trek F7.3 FX

And, according to you, you only ride for about an hour. Competitive cyclists ride a lot longer than that. Let me know when you can ride in whatever position you advocate for 4-6 hours a day for 3 weeks.
I ride about 3 hours a day with my back pretty level or more level than this lady.

One should always be cautious of concluding that one has seen something that generations of others, especially those who have made a career out of studying it, have missed. It's possible, but not very likely.
Apropos of nothing in particular...“But the fact that some geniuses were laughed at does not imply that all who are laughed at are geniuses. They laughed at Columbus, they laughed at Fulton, they laughed at the Wright brothers. But they also laughed at Bozo the Clown.” - Carl Sagan
It seems to me that the chest to the wind style of riding toe down, but without a timtaked stem, only became popular in the past 20 years. I think it is to do with increased cooperation due to radios and economics (greater funding).

Originally Posted by Bob Ross
You say that like it's a bad thing...
Yes. I think that road bike riding works a lot better, is more fun, more of a work out, more exhilarating, and still comfortable (if you are not inflexible) if you ride with your chest level to the ground. Road bike bars were made to encourage it and until about 25 years ago I think it was quite popular. To do it either you need to
1) run on your bike with toes down and use a very long stem
2) pedal forwards from the back seat, bunched up at the back.

Originally Posted by Bob Ross
You say that like it's a good thing...
Sorry. I don't think that riding on ones own is a good thing at all. It is merely a fact. I see the the university club and a small local bike shop club rides once in a blue moon but I see solitary riders every day.
Old 05-19-23, 07:58 PM
tomato coupe

It seems to me that the chest to the wind style of riding toe down, but without a timtaked stem, only became popular in the past 20 years. I think it is to do with increased cooperation due to radios and economics (greater funding).
Riding positions changed because of radios? Sure thing bro!
Old 05-19-23, 08:03 PM
genejockey 
Klaatu..Verata..Necktie?

Horse...water...drink.

Old 05-20-23, 04:12 AM
timtak

Originally Posted by tomato coupe
Riding positions changed because of radios? Sure thing bro!
Greater communication leads to greater cooperation, and in this case, a pace line of guys in riding positions which only allow them to ride the front of the line for a few minutes but it doesn't matter because the team coach will tell each rider (probably with real time power readings) when they are falling off the pace and need to hand over to the next sprinter. It makes for boring races, but with data on how much gap a breakaway can be given depending on wind, elevation, riders in the break, and condition of the pace line all available to the coach, and the riders following his orders by radio, it makes for a very effective race strategy....that is especially non applicable to the vast majority of amateur solo cyclists. Pros used to be relevant.
Old 05-20-23, 07:40 AM
tomato coupe

Greater communication leads to greater cooperation, and in this case, a pace line of guys in riding positions which only allow them to ride the front of the line for a few minutes but it doesn't matter because the team coach will tell each rider (probably with real time power readings) when they are falling off the pace and need to hand over to the next sprinter. It makes for boring races, but with data on how much gap a breakaway can be given depending on wind, elevation, riders in the break, and condition of the pace line all available to the coach, and the riders following his orders by radio, it makes for a very effective race strategy....that is especially non applicable to the vast majority of amateur solo cyclists. Pros used to be relevant.
This is pure nonsense. It’s a fantasy you’ve dreamed up to explain a change in rider position that never took place.
Likes For tomato coupe:
Old 05-20-23, 08:07 AM
Hermes
Version 7.0

Bikes: Too Many

Mentioned: 297 Post(s)
Quoted: 1338 Post(s)
Liked 2,474 Times in 1,449 Posts
Closed thread. Off topic.