Go Back  Bike Forums > Bike Forums > Cyclocross and Gravelbiking (Recreational)
Reload this Page >

bags that fit a steel frame bike

Search
Notices
Cyclocross and Gravelbiking (Recreational) This has to be the most physically intense sport ever invented. It's high speed bicycle racing on a short off road course or riding the off pavement rides on gravel like : "Unbound Gravel". We also have a dedicated Racing forum for the Cyclocross Hard Core Racers.

Search this Thread

Old 05-22-23, 10:11 AM
Indytriumph

Bikes: 1987 Schwinn Tempo, 1987 Schwinn Prologue, 2016 Felt Z5, 2022 Vaast A/1, 2023 STS ADVNTR PRO

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 23 Post(s)
Liked 43 Times in 18 Posts

I have a steel frame gravel / adventure bike that I am having trouble finding bags that fit its small diameter tubes. Does anyone have any suggestions?
I have several Revelate products that dont tighten enough around the tubes. I hate to start wrapping the tubes with anything just to use a bag. Does anyone make a bag that would fit the smaller diameter tubes?

Tom
Old 05-25-23, 02:09 AM
tFUnK

Bikes: Too many bikes, too little time to ride

Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Quoted: 425 Post(s)
Liked 454 Times in 313 Posts
Have the same issue with my older Ti and aluminum frame bikes. Modern bags, even if I'm able to tighten them enough, feel too wide for the top tube. I think some of the Jandd offerings may be relevant.
Likes For tFUnK:
Old 05-25-23, 09:22 AM
pbass

Bikes: 2016 Surly Cross Check, 2019 Kona Rove ST

Mentioned: 5 Post(s)
Quoted: 284 Post(s)
Liked 313 Times in 211 Posts
I have a Banjo Bros frame bag that attaches well to my Cross Check's top tube.

https://banjobrothers.com/collections/frame-packs

I do love the Revelate stuff - I have a Revelate Pika seat bag and an Egress handlebar bag but of course those aren't attaching to the frame tubing.
Likes For pbass:
Old 05-25-23, 10:49 AM
tyrion

Bikes: Velo Orange Piolet

Mentioned: 28 Post(s)
Quoted: 2228 Post(s)
Liked 2,011 Times in 972 Posts
Originally Posted by Indytriumph
I have a steel frame gravel / adventure bike that I am having trouble finding bags that fit its small diameter tubes. Does anyone have any suggestions?
I have several Revelate products that dont tighten enough around the tubes. I hate to start wrapping the tubes with anything just to use a bag. Does anyone make a bag that would fit the smaller diameter tubes?

Tom
You might contact Rogue Panda https://roguepanda.com/ (they make custom frame bags) and explain your issue to them and see if they can accommodate you. They offer laced attachment to the top tube which will probably solve your problem at least for the top tube.
Old 05-25-23, 01:33 PM
Indytriumph

Bikes: 1987 Schwinn Tempo, 1987 Schwinn Prologue, 2016 Felt Z5, 2022 Vaast A/1, 2023 STS ADVNTR PRO

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 23 Post(s)
Liked 43 Times in 18 Posts
Thank you for the tip, I will check them out!

[QUOTE=tyrion;22902042]You might contact Rogue Panda https://roguepanda.com/ (they make custom frame bags) and explain your issue to them and see if they can accommodate you. They offer laced attachment to the top tube which will probably solve your problem at least for the top tube.
Old 05-25-23, 01:45 PM
tyrion

Bikes: Velo Orange Piolet

Mentioned: 28 Post(s)
Quoted: 2228 Post(s)
Liked 2,011 Times in 972 Posts
Originally Posted by Indytriumph
Thank you for the tip, I will check them out!
I was just looking at their website and they can put corded/lacing attachment on all 3 sides if you want (extra cost, of course). Cool look, but extra work to install/remove.
Old 05-30-23, 10:34 AM
veganbikes
Clark W. Griswold

Bikes: Foundry Chilkoot Ti W/Ultegra Di2, Salsa Timberjack Ti, Cinelli Mash Work RandoCross Fun Time Machine, 1x9 XT Parts Hybrid, Co-Motion Cascadia, Specialized Langster, Phil Wood Apple VeloXS Frame (w/DA 7400), R+M Supercharger2 Rohloff, Habanero Ti 26

Mentioned: 54 Post(s)
Quoted: 4335 Post(s)
Liked 3,958 Times in 2,646 Posts
I have a Oveja Negra 1/2 pack bag that works well on Steel and Ti. It might be a touch wider but doesn't have any effect on it stay and holding well and I have not had any issues at all. Rogue Panda is also neat I have a friend who got a custom frame bag from them and loves it and I like it too but haven't used it just looks nice.