Go Back  Bike Forums > Bike Forums > Fitting Your Bike
Reload this Page >

Do I have to keep the wheels?

Notices
Fitting Your Bike Are you confused about how you should fit a bike to your particular body dimensions? Have you been reading, found the terms Merxx or French Fit, and don’t know what you need? Every style of riding is different- in how you fit the bike to you, and the sizing of the bike itself. It’s more than just measuring your height, reach and inseam. With the help of Bike Fitting, you’ll be able to find the right fit for your frame size, style of riding, and your particular dimensions. Here ya’ go…..the location for everything fit related.

Old 05-09-23, 03:46 PM
AtNjineer
Banned.

Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 128 Post(s)
Liked 29 Times in 23 Posts

The bike size charts say a 29er frame is the right size for me at 6’ I do have the 29er bike now but do I have to stick with the 29er wheels?
I have a set of 26” sturmey archer wheels I want to throw on it. Leaving the 29” wheels mainly for off road use.

but does that throw off the sizing?
Old 05-10-23, 07:15 AM
Kontact 

Mentioned: 41 Post(s)
Quoted: 4337 Post(s)
Liked 1,522 Times in 992 Posts
How are Sturmy Archer hubs going to fit into MTB dropouts designed for wider hubs and a thru-axle? How are you going to brake with no discs?

Other than that, the steering geometry and pedal clearance will be all screwed up.

And this is not a bike fit question.
Likes For Kontact:
Old 05-10-23, 08:21 AM
Iride01 
I'm good to go!

Bikes: Tarmac Disc Comp Di2 - 2020

Mentioned: 51 Post(s)
Quoted: 6172 Post(s)
Liked 4,789 Times in 3,305 Posts
Every sub-forum here has a description of what it's about. This is the one for this sub-forum.

Fitting Your BikeAre you confused about how you should fit a bike to your particular body dimensions? Have you been reading, found the terms Merxx or French Fit, and don’t know what you need? Every style of riding is different- in how you fit the bike to you, and the sizing of the bike itself. It’s more than just measuring your height, reach and inseam. With the help of Bike Fitting, you’ll be able to find the right fit for your frame size, style of riding, and your particular dimensions. Here ya’ go…..the location for everything fit related.
Though I firmly believe that the sub-forum should be called "Fitting You to Your Bike". Or something that isn't as ambiguous as it is now.

While different size wheels may help you fit on the bike, the information about changing the wheels on that bike to a different diameter is better suited for the Bicycle Mechanics sub-forum as more people that are mechanic's and DIYer's will be in that sub-forum to notice and answer your question. Though some do come here and I think you got a mechanic and me a DIYer to respond here, wouldn't you like to hear the views of more mechanic's and DIYer's so you can pick what you thing best for you?

I don't think the change in wheels will throw the sizing of the bike off for you. It likely will make the bike more sporty handling. So if you don't like sporty handling, which some people call twitcy, then that's a consideration for you.

Last edited by Iride01; 05-10-23 at 08:26 AM.
Old 05-10-23, 08:31 AM
Steve B.

Bikes: Flyxii FR322, Cannondale Topstone, Miyata City Liner, Specialized Chisel, Specialized Epic Evo

Mentioned: 18 Post(s)
Quoted: 3221 Post(s)
Liked 2,043 Times in 1,169 Posts
If the 26" wheels use the same axles and everything is disc brake, it could work. Might handle weird. Best solution is look for a deal on compatible 29" wheels and throw some street tires on them.
Old 05-13-23, 12:13 AM
AtNjineer
Banned.

Originally Posted by Kontact
How are Sturmy Archer hubs going to fit into MTB dropouts designed for wider hubs and a thru-axle? How are you going to brake with no discs?

Other than that, the steering geometry and pedal clearance will be all screwed up.

And this is not a bike fit question.

assumptions aside..

Your right!

Switch from 175mm cranks to 165
throw the wheels on
and rise the seat a 1/4 inch
I should be good
Old 05-13-23, 12:23 AM
AtNjineer
Banned.

But the most common crank length for Bc’s is 175 so for what
Old 05-27-23, 07:39 PM
oldbobcat

Bikes: '80 Masi Gran Criterium, '12 Trek Madone, early '60s Frejus track

Mentioned: 6 Post(s)
Quoted: 513 Post(s)
Liked 444 Times in 334 Posts
Originally Posted by AtNjineer
assumptions aside..

Your right!

throw the wheels on
I should be good
So throw those wheels on and see what happens.
Old 06-08-23, 03:49 PM
Road Fan

Bikes: 1980 Masi, 1984 Mondonico, 1984 Trek 610, 1980 Woodrup Giro, 2005 Mondonico Futura Leggera ELOS, 1967 PX10E, 1971 Peugeot UO-8

Mentioned: 49 Post(s)
Quoted: 1854 Post(s)
Liked 660 Times in 503 Posts
Originally Posted by oldbobcat
So throw those wheels on and see what happens.
Well, I agree, but since Kontact alluded to thinking about what it actually might take to make them work and to think about if the wheel swap is really just a swap:

the way a Sturmey AW hub fits a frame, they don't all fit the same.
Are the 29er wheels for derailleur gearing? Any issues there if you swap in the wheels from a Raleigh 3-speed?
The front wheels should be no problem, except the fork end spacing might not be a match,
the brake shoes might not match up to the smaller radius 26" wheels.
In the back if you don't transfer the trigger shifter to the 29er you won't have any 3 speed shifting.
If you don't get a narrow-width Sturmey sprocket the narrow MTB chain might not run smooth.
Will teh rear chainline of the Sturmey hub line up with the MTB front sprocket? If not you might have the chain throwing.
Will the unused rear derailleur be somehow in the way?
Finally, will the brake shoes line up with the rear wheel?

This could easily turn into a lot more than just a swap.
Old 06-09-23, 05:30 AM
PhilFo 
Tinker-er

Bikes: 1956 Rudge Sports; 1983 Univega Alpina Uno; 1981 Miyata 610; 1973 Raleigh Twenty; 1994 Breezer Lightning XTR; V4 Yuba Mundo aka "The Schlepper"; 1987 Raleigh "The Edge" Mountain Trials; 1952 R.O. Harrison "Madison"

Quoted: 165 Post(s)
Liked 264 Times in 181 Posts
You have to squeeze a 135mm rear triangle about 20mm in, to get the Sturmey axle nuts to engage any threads. A suitable single-tab anti rotation washer (better a mirrored matching set) needs to be found to prevent the ale from wandering in the dropout. If this is a newer RXL Sturmey hub, then the axle width isn't nearly as much of an issue, as they are spaced at 135 OLD, but the anti rotation thing is more important since the radial shifted hubs need more precision in axle placement for shifting. We still don't know how this bike is going to stop though...
Old 06-09-23, 10:52 AM
blacknbluebikes 

Bikes: two blacks, a blue and a white.

Quoted: 444 Post(s)
Liked 844 Times in 408 Posts
stopping is over-rated.
Likes For blacknbluebikes:
Old 06-09-23, 11:55 PM
Leisesturm

Mentioned: 26 Post(s)
Quoted: 2493 Post(s)
Liked 737 Times in 521 Posts
assumptions aside..

Your right!

throw the wheels on
I should be good
Seriously? Personally, I think you're having us on. I'd check your post history if it weren't so late. What's with the crank swap? For the love of God, why? S-A makes a LOT of hubs. And, believe it or not, a couple of them slide into a 135mm OLD dropout just fine. The CS-RK3 (don't quote me) even is a disc hub. But the main issue with your o.p. is the very first sentence: "The bike size charts say a 29er frame is the right size for me at 6’". What, there aren't bikes that fit 6' riders that don't use 29" wheels? Sounds like what you need are "all road" tires that can do a bit of everything. Any other plan is simply silly.
Old 06-10-23, 12:04 AM
Eric F 
Habitual User

Bikes: 2023 Niner RLT 9 RDO, 2018 Trek Procaliber 9.9 RSL, 2018 Storck Fascenario.3 Platinum, 2003 Time VX Special Pro, 2001 Colnago VIP, 1999 Trek 9900 singlespeed, 1977 Nishiki ONP

Mentioned: 5 Post(s)
Quoted: 4925 Post(s)
Liked 8,038 Times in 3,800 Posts
The bike size charts say a 29er frame is the right size for me at 6’ I do have the 29er bike now but do I have to stick with the 29er wheels?
I have a set of 26” sturmey archer wheels I want to throw on it. Leaving the 29” wheels mainly for off road use.

but does that throw off the sizing?
“29er” is not a frame size.
Old 07-03-23, 03:18 PM
AtNjineer
Banned.

Originally Posted by Eric F
“29er” is not a frame size.
it’s not a frame size but with a tad of coherentness lol you know what I’m talking about

a little more common sense and a little less of a politically correct imagination lol

too much imagination being used in here. Because I only brought up wheels by sturmey archer I never said with matching hubs lol

all good. Know how it goes on here
Old 07-03-23, 03:37 PM
Trakhak

Mentioned: 15 Post(s)
Quoted: 2475 Post(s)
Liked 2,947 Times in 1,673 Posts
If the S-A hubs fit the frame, and the brakes are compatible, all you need to worry about is the reduced ground clearance for the pedals, maybe.
Old 07-03-23, 03:38 PM
Eric F 
Habitual User

Bikes: 2023 Niner RLT 9 RDO, 2018 Trek Procaliber 9.9 RSL, 2018 Storck Fascenario.3 Platinum, 2003 Time VX Special Pro, 2001 Colnago VIP, 1999 Trek 9900 singlespeed, 1977 Nishiki ONP

it’s not a frame size but with a tad of coherentness lol you know what I’m talking about

a little more common sense and a little less of a politically correct imagination lol

too much imagination being used in here. Because I only brought up wheels by sturmey archer I never said with matching hubs lol

What is "coherentness"? As far as I can tell, that's not really a word.

What is "politically correct imagination"? Using parts that are designed to work together isn't being "politically correct". Generally, it leads to having a bicycle that functions efficiently and safely.

Frame sizes for 29" wheels range significantly, fitting people of a wide range of heights. Same with frames for 26" wheels, or 650b wheels. A 6' tall person could ride any of those wheels sizes (and others) with no issues. However (as others have noted), putting 26" wheels on a frame built for 29" wheels brings up a bunch of compatibility - and possibly geometry - issues that can't be ignored if you want a reasonably functional machine.

All that said, people do all kinds of unusual things with bicycles. Good luck.
Old 07-03-23, 04:38 PM
LesterOfPuppets
cowboy, steel horse, etc

Bikes: everywhere

Mentioned: 71 Post(s)
Tagged: 1 Thread(s)
Quoted: 12736 Post(s)
Liked 7,645 Times in 4,054 Posts

If you're looking at a chart like this, it's only for department store bikes. With slightly nicer bikes you can get a 29er model with choice of frames sized to fit most folks from 5'4" to 6'6" You can also get 27.5" and 26" wheeled bikes with frames to fit someone 6'0"

Share some good photos of your existing bike and 26er wheelset and we might be able to tell you if you can fit those wheels into the frame or what changes might be required to put them in the frame. If you can get those wheels into the frame the bike will handle much differently than it will with 29er wheels and the pedals will be lower to the ground than what you're used to.

You'd most likely be MUCH better off buying wheels that closely match those that came on your 29er instead of fooling around with 26er wheels.
Old 07-03-23, 04:53 PM
Eric F 
Habitual User

Originally Posted by LesterOfPuppets

If you're looking at a chart like this, it's only for department store bikes. With slightly nicer bikes you can get a 29er model with choice of frames sized to fit most folks from 5'4" to 6'6" You can also get 27.5" and 26" wheeled bikes with frames to fit someone 6'0"

Share some good photos of your existing bike and 26er wheelset and we might be able to tell you if you can fit those wheels into the frame or what changes might be required to put them in the frame. If you can get those wheels into the frame the bike will handle much differently than it will with 29er wheels and the pedals will be lower to the ground than what you're used to.

You'd most likely be MUCH better off buying wheels that closely match those that came on your 29er instead of fooling around with 26er wheels.
Apparently, I'm too short to ride a bike with 29" wheels. Chart fail.
Old 11-11-23, 12:00 PM
Polaris OBark
ignominious poltroon

Mentioned: 3 Post(s)
Quoted: 2221 Post(s)
Liked 3,407 Times in 1,779 Posts
The final two entries on the right-side contradict one another as well.

Also, without knowing tire width, the wheel diameter isn't all that informative.

If OP wants smaller wheels, a nice pair of 27.5" might be ideal, and as they are getting unpopular, might be slightly less expensive.
Old 11-12-23, 11:56 AM
Kontact 

What kind of Sturmey Archer wheelset has no Sturmey Archer hubs?
Old 11-13-23, 12:11 PM
AtNjineer
Banned.

What kind of Sturmey Archer wheelset has no Sturmey Archer hubs?
so a senior member is going to chime in and share the perception that wheelsets do not come with hubs from other companies.

Thats great

ive never been so enlightened

alright

for the admins i wont put your incoherence into more words than I have
Old 11-13-23, 12:32 PM
LesterOfPuppets
cowboy, steel horse, etc

Bikes: everywhere

Mentioned: 71 Post(s)
Tagged: 1 Thread(s)
Quoted: 12736 Post(s)
Liked 7,645 Times in 4,054 Posts
so a senior member is going to chime in and share the perception that wheelsets do not come with hubs from other companies.

Thats great

alright

AFAIK S/A makes hubs, but not rims or spokes, so S/A wheels basically means a wheel set with S/A hubs. I can't fathom a way of having an S/A wheelset without S/A hubs. Not sure of all this, but maybe a C&V guy can chime in with verified info
Old 11-13-23, 01:07 PM
Eric F 
Habitual User

Thats great

alright

Kontact's question was fair. Sturmey Archer is best-known for their hubs. When someone mentions a "Sturmey Archer wheel", most experienced bike folks understanding would be a wheel built with SA hubs. Because of that, a "Sturmey Archer wheel" without SA hubs is a puzzling concept, and is going to invite questions to determine whether it's something unusual, or something being identified incorrectly.

How did your experiment with 26" wheels go? It's been over 6 months since this was initially posted. Surely, you should have some experience with your attempt to fit those wheels on your 29er frame by now. I'm curious to hear about the results, and maybe see some pics.
Old 11-13-23, 06:42 PM
Kontact 

Thats great

alright

A senior member asked you a polite question:
What kind of SA wheels don't come with SA hubs?

Could you please answer that question?

Some help: https://www.sturmey-archer.com/products
Old 11-17-23, 11:56 AM
AtNjineer
Banned.

A senior member asked you a polite question:
What kind of SA wheels don't come with SA hubs?

Could you please answer that question?

Some help: https://www.sturmey-archer.com/products

stop guy guy with your coat of sugar

I know the difference I’m almost against my will annoyingly aware or the condescension.

Or I would had been asked what hubs do I have in my wheels.

Maybe they are not sturmey archer wheels tho it’s possible that this item is using the sturmey archer name is bc the set uses a sturmey front hub idk
heres the image and reason why I refer to them as sturmeys

but ive swapped out the hubs for a dynamo and alfine 8 hub

I did try and put them on my 29 in frame but the rear did not have the spacing for the 8 speed so it was a no go. Then soon after I was on the local trail and took a tumble. I bent the fork a tad. Since then I haven’t really been riding that* bike.

I’ve been riding the 20”
Old 11-17-23, 12:00 PM
AtNjineer
Banned.

Search this Thread

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.