Go Back  Bike Forums > Bike Forums > Classic and Vintage Bicycles: Whats it Worth? Appraisals.
Reload this Page >

Can Anyone Identify This Vintage Bianchi MTB?

Search
Notices
Classic and Vintage Bicycles: Whats it Worth? Appraisals. Use this subforum for all requests as to "How much is this vintage bike worth?"Do NOT try to sell it in here, use the Marketplaces.

Search this Thread

Old 05-23-23, 10:20 AM
praise dakinis

Bikes: Surly Disc Trucker, Raleigh Sports, Gitane Tour de France

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 29 Post(s)
Liked 6 Times in 6 Posts

Someone's selling a vintage Bianchi mountain bike near me and I'm trying to figure out what model/year it is before making an offer (it's up for $280). See attached image (there's only one pic posted). I can't seem to be able to find any image or description of a similar bike online. Can any of the vintage/Bianchi wizards here point me to a catalog description, model name, details, year, etc?

Old 05-23-23, 11:02 AM
bargainguy

Mentioned: 19 Post(s)
Quoted: 516 Post(s)
Liked 306 Times in 189 Posts
Hmmmm. Those decals don't look right, and I've never seen a full chrome Bianchi MTB before. Is that an adjustable stem?
Likes For bargainguy:
Old 05-23-23, 02:44 PM
praise dakinis

Liked 6 Times in 6 Posts
Originally Posted by bargainguy
Hmmmm. Those decals don't look right, and I've never seen a full chrome Bianchi MTB before. Is that an adjustable stem?
Very interesting... I asked the guy to send me some more pics, and he sent me one of the BB shell with the serial # 5FE1889 (all the characters are very clear). Does that give you any sense of who might have made it??
Old 05-23-23, 05:11 PM
bargainguy

Mentioned: 19 Post(s)
Quoted: 516 Post(s)
Liked 306 Times in 189 Posts
Leading number 5 probably indicates 1985 manufacture. FE could stand for Forte, one of the MTB models back then, but info on early Bianchi MTBs is notably scarce, so I have no way to verify this.

So let's look at what's left. Fork would have been rigid for mid-80's, so the RockShox is a replacement.

1" threaded steerer would be appropriate for this era.

Early 80's MTBs might have had bullmoose bars and a biplane fork. Your bike has neither, so no help in dating.

Decals do not look like mid-80's decals, which have a panel decoration before "Bianchi" and are larger than what appears on your bike.

I've never seen full chrome on 80's Bianchi MTB's. They were all rather utilitarian in apperance, tho some models were in celeste.

V-brakes are not original to the frame - they didn't appear until '96. Cantis were original.

In short, you have a chrome MTB from the mid-80's that may be a Bianchi. I think the value of the bike is, what would you pay without the Bianchi name?

It's unclear whether someone "restored" the frame with a chrome job and new decals, or wanted to deceive potential buyers into thinking it's a Bianchi when it isn't.
Likes For bargainguy:
Old 05-23-23, 06:10 PM
Clang

Mentioned: 29 Post(s)
Tagged: 1 Thread(s)
Quoted: 1119 Post(s)
Liked 2,248 Times in 1,308 Posts
I'm fairly certain the frame is from a 1986 Diamondback Ascent. Caps at the top of the seat stays match, top tube cable guides match, eyelets on the rear dropouts match, long chainstays match, dual water bottle bosses match, cable stops on the down tube match.

Nothing is original. None of the decals are right. Thus it is worth less than $100.

Old 05-25-23, 09:07 AM
praise dakinis

Liked 6 Times in 6 Posts
Originally Posted by Clang
I'm fairly certain the frame is from a 1986 Diamondback Ascent. Caps at the top of the seat stays match, top tube cable guides match, eyelets on the rear dropouts match, long chainstays match, dual water bottle bosses match, cable stops on the down tube match.

Nothing is original. None of the decals are right. Thus it is worth less than $100.
Amazing detective work! I'm truly impressed. Well, I certainly won't be purchasing this "bianchi" anyway... Thank you for your help!
Likes For praise dakinis:
Old 05-27-23, 09:56 PM
DMC707

Bikes: Too many to list

Mentioned: 36 Post(s)
Quoted: 1765 Post(s)
Liked 1,124 Times in 746 Posts
I freshened up an old Bridgestone with some mint green paint that looked very much like Celeste. It looked odd with no frame decals and the only ones I had laying around were Marin’s

I rode my Celeste Marin for quite a while just like that even though technically that might’ve been considered a downgrade from a Bridgestone

Maybe this is an operation kind of like that where somebody sometime in the past just thought the bike looked too naked without any frame decals

I never sold the Bridgestone though. If it ever gets freshened up again I’m going to treat it to a real paint job