Search
Notices
Clydesdales/Athenas (200+ lb / 91+ kg) Looking to lose that spare tire? Ideal weight 200+? Frustrated being a large cyclist in a sport geared for the ultra-light? Learn about the bikes and parts that can take the abuse of a heavier cyclist, how to keep your body going while losing the weight, and get support from others who've been successful.

Getting back on

Search this Thread

Old 05-10-23, 12:04 PM
plumberroy

Bikes: Surly long haul trucker, Surly steamroller,Huffy Catalina, Univega Alpina 501. Gravity deadeye monster, Raliegh sport , Electra loft 1

Mentioned: 5 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 607 Post(s)
Liked 298 Times in 181 Posts
Getting back on

I have not been riding for a while foot issues took me to the place,it was all I could due to make it through the day at work. October 28 2020 they took enough bone off my right foot bunions and bone build up from gout that my foot is a half inch narrower. May 9 2022 they removed the sesamoid bones from the same foot. I have decided to get back to riding . It is very discouraging to be beat after 5 miles when a few years ago I could do 50 about anytime I wanted but I have to start somewhere. At the moment I am sticking to my best bikes until I get in better condition.
FYI best bikes are
Surly
Long Haul Trucker
Flat bar Cross Check
Steamroller
Likes For plumberroy:
Old 05-11-23, 01:23 PM
MikeM21

Bikes: '96 C40, '04 C50, '04 Merlin Magia, '97 Stumpjumper, '04 Specilaized Roubaix

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Quoted: 8 Post(s)
Liked 562 Times in 178 Posts
Good for you. You've accomplished the hardest part - getting back in the saddle. Just keep pushing.

I'm 10 months back after 8 years off and it REALLY sucked at first. Slowly but surely, you'll get it back. I'm nowhere near where I used to be but getting closer everyday.

Mike
Old 05-13-23, 12:50 PM
plumberroy

Bikes: Surly long haul trucker, Surly steamroller,Huffy Catalina, Univega Alpina 501. Gravity deadeye monster, Raliegh sport , Electra loft 1

Humidity is a killer right now makes it hard on an old fat guy. I've rode at least a couple miles most days
Likes For plumberroy:
Old 05-13-23, 01:31 PM
streetsurfer

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 96 Post(s)
Liked 292 Times in 155 Posts
Originally Posted by plumberroy;[url=tel:22888713
22888713[/url]]Humidity is a killer right now makes it hard on an old fat guy. I've rode at least a couple miles most days
I imagine spring allergies might be a bit of a challenge too. Mine are far worse this season, over the past years'.

I am just back onto a bike this week. Took some rides around the back lawn. Mine was a broken clavicle and is probably much less bothersome
than would be foot involved. Leaning on the bars was not much issue. Right now I fear having to catch myself in an upset.

I hope you'll heal as well as you can and can continue to enjoy bike centered recreation.
Old 05-13-23, 03:38 PM
plumberroy

Originally Posted by streetsurfer
I imagine spring allergies might be a bit of a challenge too. Mine are far worse this season, over the past years'.

I am just back onto a bike this week. Took some rides around the back lawn. Mine was a broken clavicle and is probably much less bothersome
than would be foot involved. Leaning on the bars was not much issue. Right now I fear having to catch myself in an upset.

I hope you'll heal as well as you can and can continue to enjoy bike centered recreation.
Thanks hopefully you will heal to . Feet will never be the same but I don't have enough pain to stop me now. I hope to ride some distance Monday
Old 05-15-23, 02:15 PM
plumberroy

5 miles out on the 8 mile trail I used to ride 3 times a week. Resting a minute. Had a drink and a small pouch of apple sauce (no sugar added) and fixing to finish the loop ➰
Old 05-19-23, 12:50 PM
plumberroy

Second 8 mile ride this week. 😁 I could have done another 2-5 miles but I have to work tonight
Old 05-21-23, 03:50 PM
plumberroy

8 miles today on my single speed I am feeling stronger every ride 💪
Likes For plumberroy:
Old 05-28-23, 08:54 AM
plumberroy

10 miles this morning getting stronger