Search
Notices
Classic and Vintage Bicycles: Whats it Worth? Appraisals. Use this subforum for all requests as to "How much is this vintage bike worth?"Do NOT try to sell it in here, use the Marketplaces.

1991 Trek 2000

Search this Thread

Old 05-28-23, 02:00 PM
SDHawk

Bikes: 1986 Schwinn High Sierra, 1989 Supergo Access Comp, 1989 Nishiki Pinnacle,1990 Trek 750, 1990 Trek 970, 1991 Miyata Quickcross, 1992 Bridgestone RB-2, 2002 Stumpjumper M4 Pro

Mentioned: 3 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 157 Post(s)
Liked 263 Times in 115 Posts
1991 Trek 2000

Here's a '91 Trek 2000 2x7 that seems to be in v nice condition except for the ridiculous bar "tape". Looks like Shimano 600 Tricolor throughout... are the hubs 600 as well? research tells me this wasn't in the 91 catalog (maybe sold as frame-only).

Anyway, I'd be buying to flip... what do y'all think of value tuned up w new tape and road tires?

Old 05-28-23, 07:51 PM
bargainguy

Mentioned: 19 Post(s)
Quoted: 517 Post(s)
Liked 310 Times in 191 Posts
Round tube aluminum Treks - with Easton or Alcoa tubing - are nice compliant rides. I always thought Trek went backwards when they introduced the triangular downtube Alpha Aluminum tubing in the late 90's. Those frames were much stiffer and less compliant, as they chased the racer segment of the market. All of a sudden, not so comfortable frames unless you're a racer.

But these days, down tube shifter bikes like this one are having a really hard time. So I wouldn't be buying to flip right now, only to ride. Even if you had all the consumables on hand and was able to rebuild it for nothing, it would still have a hard time selling compared to recent prices.

People are getting rid of their pandemic bike purchases at firesale prices, which drives down the rest of the market to the point where it's really not a go anymore. At least that what I'm seeing in the local market.
Likes For bargainguy:
Old 05-28-23, 09:56 PM
SDHawk

Bikes: 1986 Schwinn High Sierra, 1989 Supergo Access Comp, 1989 Nishiki Pinnacle,1990 Trek 750, 1990 Trek 970, 1991 Miyata Quickcross, 1992 Bridgestone RB-2, 2002 Stumpjumper M4 Pro

Originally Posted by bargainguy
Round tube aluminum Treks - with Easton or Alcoa tubing - are nice compliant rides. I always thought Trek went backwards when they introduced the triangular downtube Alpha Aluminum tubing in the late 90's. Those frames were much stiffer and less compliant, as they chased the racer segment of the market. All of a sudden, not so comfortable frames unless you're a racer.

But these days, down tube shifter bikes like this one are having a really hard time. So I wouldn't be buying to flip right now, only to ride. Even if you had all the consumables on hand and was able to rebuild it for nothing, it would still have a hard time selling compared to recent prices.

People are getting rid of their pandemic bike purchases at firesale prices, which drives down the rest of the market to the point where it's really not a go anymore. At least that what I'm seeing in the local market.
Thanks for the reply and the interesting info on Trek bikes.... I was not familiar with the finer points. I asked about an old Motobecane the other day and got a similar response.... all saying nope. That's fine, I have too many bikes anyway.

The fire sale prices you mentioned are a problem.... it's hard to resist all the great deals.

I'm really in it to keep busy, having recently retired. Not trying to make big bucks. I usually buy vintage MTBs, fix them up, ride for a while, and sell. I enjoy the process and love trying out all the cool bikes from 1986-95.
Likes For SDHawk:
Old 05-31-23, 07:55 AM
cycleheimer

Bikes: '02 Litespeed, '99 Bianchi Alfana. '91 Fuji Saratoga, '84 Peugeot Canyon Express, '82 Moto GR, '81 Fuji America, '81 Fuji Royale; '78 Bridgestone Diamond Touring, '76 Fuji America, plus many more!

Mentioned: 6 Post(s)
Quoted: 179 Post(s)
Liked 223 Times in 126 Posts
Originally Posted by bargainguy
... these days, down tube shifter bikes like this one are having a really hard time. So I wouldn't be buying to flip right now, only to ride. Even if you had all the consumables on hand and was able to rebuild it for nothing, it would still have a hard time selling compared to recent prices.

Every now and then you stumble across something decent at a bargain price, but as usual there are way too many mediocre bikes out there at really high prices. I think everybody thinks they are still in high demand, and are fooled by crazy asking prices when they set their own. The same ads get reposted for months and years. I just bought an upper mid-range touring bike for a reasonable price (for me). The cost of parts and consumables .. plus labor that included freeing up a nicely stuck seat post.. would have made it landfill for most people. I have everything on hand, and it's on it's way to becoming my new commuter. I just want to buy what I like, and want to hold onto. Storage space, though, does become a serious issue. It's still not the worst hobby. Enjoy!

Last edited by cycleheimer; 05-31-23 at 08:00 AM.
Likes For cycleheimer:
Old 05-31-23, 09:58 AM
SDHawk

Originally Posted by cycleheimer
Every now and then you stumble across something decent at a bargain price, but as usual there are way too many mediocre bikes out there at really high prices. I think everybody thinks they are still in high demand, and are fooled by crazy asking prices when they set their own. The same ads get reposted for months and years. I just bought an upper mid-range touring bike for a reasonable price (for me). The cost of parts and consumables .. plus labor that included freeing up a nicely stuck seat post.. would have made it landfill for most people. I have everything on hand, and it's on it's way to becoming my new commuter. I just want to buy what I like, and want to hold onto. Storage space, though, does become a serious issue. It's still not the worst hobby. Enjoy!
Good points on all counts. Yah we have guys here in San Diego who post the same bikes DAILY on CL at prices at least double what's realistic. I have refrained from asking them if they are nuts haha.

I hear you on storage space. But it's a great hobby and keeps me off the streets... well actually on the streets but you get the idea.
Likes For SDHawk:
Old 05-31-23, 02:20 PM
cycleheimer

Bikes: '02 Litespeed, '99 Bianchi Alfana. '91 Fuji Saratoga, '84 Peugeot Canyon Express, '82 Moto GR, '81 Fuji America, '81 Fuji Royale; '78 Bridgestone Diamond Touring, '76 Fuji America, plus many more!

Mentioned: 6 Post(s)
Quoted: 179 Post(s)
Liked 223 Times in 126 Posts
Originally Posted by SDHawk
I hear you on storage space. But it's a great hobby and keeps me off the streets... well actually on the streets but you get the idea.
Yep. We sometimes spend more time puttering around in the garage than out riding. I guess that's what makes it a hobby.