Go Back  Bike Forums > Bike Forums > Professional Cycling For the Fans
Reload this Page >

2023 giro d'italia: straight-no fantasy chaser (big-time spoilers)!

Notices
Professional Cycling For the Fans Follow the Tour de France,the Giro de Italia, the Spring Classics, or other professional cycling races? Here's your home...

2023 giro d'italia: straight-no fantasy chaser (big-time spoilers)!

Old 05-29-23, 05:56 AM
Chicago Al 

Bikes: 1974 Motobecane Grand Record, 1987 Miyata Pro, 1988 Bob Jackson Lady Mixte (wife's), others in the family

Mentioned: 7 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 125 Post(s)
Liked 150 Times in 74 Posts
I don’t agree that it was boring, at all. A very tight top 3 for most of the race, a near-win for an old guy, while at the same time so many young riders were emerging: Milan, Gee, Riccitello. So many breakaway wins (McNulty finallly!), and a finish with less than 15 secs between 1st and 2nd. And a Cav victory in the final! What more could you want?

- Dr Samuel Johnson
Old 05-29-23, 03:47 PM
slcbob
bored of "Senior Member"

Bikes: Cross-Check/Nexus commuter. Several others for various forms of play.

Mentioned: 9 Post(s)
Quoted: 639 Post(s)
Liked 575 Times in 445 Posts
Thomas pulling for Cav & Astana in the final ~1500 meters was the stuff of yesteryear. Damn good to see it.
Likes For slcbob:
Old 05-29-23, 09:13 PM
Doge

Bikes: 1979 Raleigh Team 753

Mentioned: 153 Post(s)
Quoted: 3374 Post(s)
Liked 371 Times in 253 Posts
Originally Posted by rosefarts
Im not sure how I feel about a bike switch halfway through the TT. I understand why. I can only imagine type of shenanigans a single bike (aside from mechanical issues) would create. It would be super fun to see.

That would be the end of disc brakes. Not going to happen.
Old 05-30-23, 03:02 AM
MinnMan

Bikes: 2022 Salsa Beargrease Carbon Deore 11, 2020 Salsa Warbird GRX 600, 2020 Canyon Ultimate CF SLX disc 9.0 Di2, 2020 Catrike Eola, 2016 Masi cxgr, 2011, Felt F3 Ltd, 2010 Trek 2.1, 2009 KHS Flite 220

Mentioned: 19 Post(s)
Quoted: 4266 Post(s)
Liked 2,937 Times in 1,811 Posts
Originally Posted by slcbob
Thomas pulling for Cav & Astana in the final ~1500 meters was the stuff of yesteryear. Damn good to see it.
That seemed pretty cool, but I admit I didn't quite understand the dynamics. Thomas went to the front, but Cav wasn't directly on his wheel - he was quite far back. It seems that Thomas driving the pace allowed Cav to move up from a disadvantageous spot and get in good position?
Old 05-30-23, 08:04 AM
MinnMan

Bikes: 2022 Salsa Beargrease Carbon Deore 11, 2020 Salsa Warbird GRX 600, 2020 Canyon Ultimate CF SLX disc 9.0 Di2, 2020 Catrike Eola, 2016 Masi cxgr, 2011, Felt F3 Ltd, 2010 Trek 2.1, 2009 KHS Flite 220

Mentioned: 19 Post(s)
Quoted: 4266 Post(s)
Liked 2,937 Times in 1,811 Posts
Originally Posted by Chicago Al
I don’t agree that it was boring, at all. A very tight top 3 for most of the race, a near-win for an old guy, while at the same time so many young riders were emerging: Milan, Gee, Riccitello. So many breakaway wins (McNulty finallly!), and a finish with less than 15 secs between 1st and 2nd. And a Cav victory in the final! What more could you want?
In a GT full of mishaps, G. Thomas didn't crash. So there's that.
Likes For MinnMan:
Old 05-30-23, 11:36 AM
slcbob
bored of "Senior Member"

Bikes: Cross-Check/Nexus commuter. Several others for various forms of play.

Mentioned: 9 Post(s)
Quoted: 639 Post(s)
Liked 575 Times in 445 Posts
Originally Posted by MinnMan
That seemed pretty cool, but I admit I didn't quite understand the dynamics. Thomas went to the front, but Cav wasn't directly on his wheel - he was quite far back. It seems that Thomas driving the pace allowed Cav to move up from a disadvantageous spot and get in good position?
I rewatched it to make sure I wasn't hallucinating. It was less of a Cav moving up, and more of a making others work hard to move up while allowing Cav to pick and choose.

Towards the end, Luis Leon Sanchez was the only guy from Astana in play, working to position Cav and keep him up there. Thomas was behind Cav, having just come across the 3k to go and relaxed a bit. At ~2.4 k to go Thomas moved up, passed Cav, passed Sanchez and told him to hop on his wheel (~2.2k), then pulled like an Astana lead out man for 1k+. Cav wasn't on G's wheel at all for any of that, or Sanchez for much either... he let a Movistar rider (Gaviria?) between him and Sanchez, and then let a few more come by until he hopped on Milan. But that was him making his sprinter magic choices, and it would have been a lot sloppier and a lot less Sanchezy if G had not lined it out there at pre-crunch time.
Likes For slcbob:
Old 05-31-23, 01:18 PM
Chicago Al 

Bikes: 1974 Motobecane Grand Record, 1987 Miyata Pro, 1988 Bob Jackson Lady Mixte (wife's), others in the family

Mentioned: 7 Post(s)
Quoted: 125 Post(s)
Liked 150 Times in 74 Posts
Originally Posted by MinnMan
In a GT full of mishaps, G. Thomas didn't crash. So there's that.
Ah, but he did. Same crash that took out Geoghegan Hart. But G Thomas had the luck to land on Sivakov, who had obliged by falling in just the right spot to cushion his team leader. Now THAT is a Super Domestique! (Sivakov's reaction has not been noted in the media.)

Of course Roglic was also in the same crash. And there was another for him, the one that removed 'some meat' as he put it.

Funny how cyclists can be simultaneously likely podlum contenders and also likely DNFs.

- Dr Samuel Johnson

Last edited by Chicago Al; 06-07-23 at 06:14 AM.