Go Back  Bike Forums > Bike Forums > General Cycling Discussion
Reload this Page >

Has anyone used glue to joint steel lugged frames?

Notices
General Cycling Discussion Have a cycling related question or comment that doesn't fit in one of the other specialty forums? Drop on in and post in here! When possible, please select the forum above that most fits your post!

Has anyone used glue to joint steel lugged frames?

Old 05-29-23, 09:48 AM
terrymorse 
climber has-been

Bikes: Scott Addict R1, Felt Z1

Mentioned: 10 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 3335 Post(s)
Liked 3,435 Times in 1,737 Posts
Originally Posted by JohnDThompson
A brazed joint can be stronger than a glued joint, and brazing technology is known, proven, reliable, and inexpensive. What would be the advantage of a glued steel frame? IIRC, some of the Raleigh USA "Technium" frames used glued Reynolds 753 tubes to get around Reynolds' 753 brazing certification requirement.
Speak the devil's name...

This morning I opened up that other site and started scrolling r/BikeMechanics, to find this:

Lo and behold, a Raleigh Technium with a failed shifter boss.

It kind of looks like the shifter boss was glued onto a painted frame (or they used paint-colored glue?). Now I'm no expert on gluing stuff together, but I have read the instructions on the back of some expoxy repair bottles. They usually say "clean and dry, something something, sand down to bare metal, mumble mumble, clamp, something".

Hmm.

Likes For terrymorse:
Old 05-29-23, 11:01 AM
CliffordK

Mentioned: 217 Post(s)
Quoted: 18318 Post(s)
Liked 4,487 Times in 3,337 Posts
Originally Posted by Atlas Shrugged
Or carbon has made this redundant. Development of steel technology within cycling is pretty well at a dead end and has been replaced by Carbon which by all indications still has a way to go. Take a Specialized Aethos a mass production bicycle frame under 600 grams and reliable as any other.
There are a lot of bike builders still working in steel. We may not see steel in the TDF any time soon. However, we'll see a lot of steel in cargo bikes, folding bikes, touring bikes, BMX bikes, etc.

Perhaps nothing new will be thought up, but we already have the shaped tubes, and downtubes that are small at one end and large at the other end.
Old 05-29-23, 11:39 AM
Polaris OBark
ignominious poltroon

Mentioned: 3 Post(s)
Quoted: 2184 Post(s)
Liked 3,336 Times in 1,741 Posts
I am certainly not an expert, but based on physical appearances, I think the industry has moved to toothpaste for welds.
Likes For Polaris OBark:
Old 05-29-23, 03:42 PM
Ironfish653
Dirty Heathen

Bikes: 1997 Cannondale, 1976 Bridgestone, 1998 SoftRide, 1989 Klein, 1989 Black Lightning #0033

Mentioned: 19 Post(s)
Quoted: 889 Post(s)
Liked 906 Times in 534 Posts
Originally Posted by Polaris OBark
I am certainly not an expert, but based on physical appearances, I think the industry has moved to toothpaste for welds.
Thats why my aluminum bikes are USA Cannondales and pre-Trek KLEINS (fig. 1: Cannondale 3.0 c. 1989)

Seriously, tho, aluminum requires a bigger weld fillet than steel, so the welds are going to be more obvious on an alloy bike.
My 4130 SoftRide has tiny, needle-point welds, as compared to the stack of dimes on my daughter’s 6061 Pacific (which has surprisingly nice welding for a mid-grade 24” kids’ bike)

With the exception of a few models like the CAAD-13 and the Allez Sprint, aluminum has really been pushed out of the top of the lineup by carbon and into the cost-point market, so those smooth “double-pass” hand-welded frames aren’t what you’ll find at the prices Aluminum bikes inhabit.
Old 05-29-23, 06:06 PM
unterhausen
Randomhead

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Quoted: 4 Post(s)
Liked 3,662 Times in 2,496 Posts
Did they double-pass those welds or just grind them? I understand why they did it, but they did undercut the tubing a little on most bikes, you can see it in the pic above.
Old 05-29-23, 08:13 PM
Ironfish653
Dirty Heathen

Bikes: 1997 Cannondale, 1976 Bridgestone, 1998 SoftRide, 1989 Klein, 1989 Black Lightning #0033

Mentioned: 19 Post(s)
Quoted: 889 Post(s)
Liked 906 Times in 534 Posts
"Double -Pass" was the term I first heard in the '90s, when I got my first 'Dale. From what I recall reading, very little cleanup was needed before paint to achieve that look. Sanding and polishing ' but not grinding.

Not sure about "undercutting"; The head tube on the 3.0 (at 35 mm) is significantly smaller than the TT or DT (40mm and 42mm) so there's a lot of contouring going on at those joints.
Old 06-05-23, 11:33 AM
genejockey 
Klaatu..Verata..Necktie?

Bikes: Litespeed Ultimate, Ultegra; Canyon Endurace, 105; Battaglin MAX, Chorus; Bianchi 928 Veloce; Ritchey Road Logic, Dura Ace; Cannondale R500 RX100; Schwinn Circuit, Sante; Lotus Supreme, Dura Ace

Mentioned: 41 Post(s)
Quoted: 10241 Post(s)
Liked 11,593 Times in 5,942 Posts
Bike-It UK just released a video of the restoration of a Raleigh Dynatech, which he had repainted and built it all up with his usual care and enthusiasm. On the test ride - which he was filming - the downtube PULLED OUT of the headtube lug as he crossed some trolley tracks. So, yeah, people tried it, and there can be issues, especially after decades.

"Everybody's gotta be somewhere." - Eccles
Likes For genejockey:
Old 06-05-23, 11:55 AM
BMC_Kid 

Mentioned: 4 Post(s)
Quoted: 112 Post(s)
Liked 336 Times in 146 Posts
Originally Posted by genejockey
Bike-It UK just released a video of the restoration of a Raleigh Dynatech, which he had repainted and built it all up with his usual care and enthusiasm. On the test ride - which he was filming - the downtube PULLED OUT of the headtube lug as he crossed some trolley tracks. So, yeah, people tried it, and there can be issues, especially after decades.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=2k6OsRGAADo
Yikes! Glad he did not do an endo over the handlebars after the failure. He really lucked out on that one.

I’ll stick to my brazed steel bikes!
Old 06-05-23, 12:37 PM
mpetry912 
aged to perfection

Bikes: Dinucci Allez 2.0, Richard Sachs, Alex Singer, Serotta, Masi GC, Raleigh Pro Mk.1, Hetchins, etc

Mentioned: 23 Post(s)
Quoted: 818 Post(s)
Liked 1,219 Times in 643 Posts
Ironfish653 that last pic you showed is definitely the result of a pulsed tig welder in use, it's what gives it the "roll of dimes" look.

terrymorse bet you can fix that shifter boss with some surface prep and properly applied JBWeld. Charge the customer for the cure time !

/markp