Go Back  Bike Forums > Bike Forums > Recreational & Family
Reload this Page >

Biking and losing weight

Notices
Recreational & Family Ride just to ride? Have a family and want to get them into cycling? Drop in here to discuss recreational and family cycling issues.

Biking and losing weight

Old 10-11-22, 07:52 AM
boozergut

Bikes: Kona Dew, Gary Fisher Paragon, Salsa Campeon

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 116 Post(s)
Liked 125 Times in 79 Posts
Ive lost 17 pounds in 2022 by eliminating booze and riding a lot (over 1,000 miles). Ive also added 260 miles of walking. Next year Im cutting out sugar.
Likes For boozergut:
Old 10-12-22, 08:59 PM
t2p

Bikes: Cannondale - Gary Fisher - Giant - Litespeed - Schwinn Paramount - Schwinn (lugged steel) - Trek OCLV

Mentioned: 6 Post(s)
Quoted: 1390 Post(s)
Liked 1,848 Times in 1,063 Posts
Originally Posted by boozergut
Ive lost 17 pounds in 2022 by eliminating booze and riding a lot (over 1,000 miles). Ive also added 260 miles of walking. Next year Im cutting out sugar.
at what point will you need to change your BF name from 'boozergut' ?
Old 10-13-22, 07:20 AM
boozergut

Bikes: Kona Dew, Gary Fisher Paragon, Salsa Campeon

Quoted: 116 Post(s)
Liked 125 Times in 79 Posts
I have a good reserve built up, the doctor said keep doing what you are doing.
Likes For boozergut:
Old 10-17-22, 10:15 AM
RH Clark

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 525 Post(s)
Liked 460 Times in 254 Posts
Originally Posted by boozergut
I gave up sugar and any high glycemic foods like white bread about 4 years. It's amazing to see how the taste of food improves after a few months off sugar. What you thought was sour will be sweet and what you thought sweet will be sickeningly so. Sugar is the most socially accepted and harmful drug the American public uses. Quitting sugar completely is like trying to quit Cocaine if every grocery and convince store was selling it for a dollar a gram.
Likes For RH Clark:
Old 10-17-22, 10:21 AM
RB1-luvr
I don't know.

Bikes: '90 B'stone RB-1, '92 B'stone RB-2, '89 SuperGo Access Comp, '03 Access 69er, '23 Trek 520, '14 Ritchey Road Logic, '09 Kestrel Evoke, '08 Windsor Tourist, '17 Surly Wednesday, '89 Centurion Accordo, '15 CruX, '17 Ridley X-Night, '89 Marinoni

Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Quoted: 314 Post(s)
Liked 850 Times in 444 Posts
^^^ man, I wish I could do this. I've tried and failed. Even just cutting back is difficult. My sweet tooth is like a sabre-tooth tiger fang.
Likes For RB1-luvr:
Old 10-17-22, 11:01 AM
RH Clark

Quoted: 525 Post(s)
Liked 460 Times in 254 Posts
Originally Posted by RB1-luvr
^^^ man, I wish I could do this. I've tried and failed. Even just cutting back is difficult. My sweet tooth is like a sabre-tooth tiger fang.
I understand. It's incredibly difficult. I was morbidly obese though and very unhealthy, so I had to get drastic in my approach.

If anyone really wants to quit the best way is to constantly research and study how bad sugar is for you. You will likely drive everyone else crazy in the house, but new information is the only thing that creates new behavior.
Old 07-09-23, 07:06 AM
cycleheimer

Bikes: '02 Litespeed, '99 Bianchi Alfana. '91 Fuji Saratoga, '84 Peugeot Canyon Express, '82 Moto GR, '81 Fuji America, '81 Fuji Royale; '78 Bridgestone Diamond Touring, '76 Fuji America, plus many more!

Mentioned: 6 Post(s)
Quoted: 178 Post(s)
Liked 223 Times in 126 Posts
Reduce intake of sugar, fat and salt. Seriously reduce intake of fast food and processed food. Drink mostly water, and don't drink soda (regular or diet) and drinks with added sugar and artificial sweeteners. Ride on a regular basis. Your health should then be better than if you did the opposite.
Old 08-10-23, 06:32 AM
Cdubs

Quoted: 14 Post(s)
Liked 24 Times in 15 Posts
I have lost over 20lbs since I started commuting on my bike in April 256lb down to 230lbs. I find it did lead to better choices in food and drink as the weight started to come down and then I started cycling more just for un with the kids. Diet is definitely the biggest factor but cycling has made me fitter and stronger. I coach youth soccer and football in the spring, summer and fall and have found my ability to keep up with the kids has gotten so much better.
Old 08-10-23, 12:34 PM
brave17

Bikes: Trek Marlin 7 (MTB), Lapierre Sensium 3.0 (Road)

Quoted: 4 Post(s)
Liked 14 Times in 7 Posts
I bought my first bike in 2017 but didn't cycle much that year. When I started cycling more and more in 2018 and 2019, along with cutting down my food portions (and tracking calories for a while) I started to lose weight. I went down from 170 lbs to just below 140 lbs. I was able to keep it pretty constant since then. Also, I'm 5'7" so my BMI was 26 before and it is 22 now, and my smart scale says I have around 17.5% body fat. (I guess it's pretty good considering I am not a pro athlete). I still have some of that beer belly left though.

Last edited by brave17; 08-11-23 at 02:13 AM.
Old 08-26-23, 10:32 AM
bald1der

Bikes: Cannondale CX3

Quoted: 24 Post(s)
Liked 37 Times in 26 Posts
As much as I'd love to say that riding my bike daily has led me to lose weight, I can't. Now what I can say is that riding my bike has kept me from gaining weight. When I retired I noticed the gut was coming, I started walking the neighborhood but my knees didn't want to cooperate. Bike riding was recommended by my doctor. Leisure ride 10-20 miles 4-5 days a week keeps me in shape.
Old 08-26-23, 04:46 PM
50PlusCycling

Quoted: 548 Post(s)
Liked 790 Times in 402 Posts
Unless you are a rabid rider who spends a lot of time in the saddle, cycling is not likely to lose you much weight. When I was riding 1000km a week as a competitive cyclist, I was stuffing myself with food and sugary drinks, yet had almost no body fat. Nowadays I ride about 250km per week, and have to watch what I eat to keep my weight under control. If I don’t eat sugar, and limit myself to one beer per day (gotta have beer), I can stay reasonably slim.
Likes For 50PlusCycling:
Old 08-28-23, 11:04 AM
blacknbluebikes 

Bikes: two blacks, a blue and a white.

Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Quoted: 444 Post(s)
Liked 844 Times in 408 Posts
The calorie intake / calorie burn conversation goes pretty deep in these archives. "Simple math" argument is tough to refute, but putting in practice doesn't produce perfect results, especially at "boundary conditions" where the balance is close. If you do burn a lot more calories than you consume, you will get smaller. But when the intake/burn math is close, all bets are off. And measurement is imperfect. Most wise hands will say "you gotta do both to lose weight - control intake and control workout calorie burn," and I think that is basically saying "you need a bigger spread between intake and burn to make notable progress."

Some have mentioned intensity of effort as a factor .. Riding a twenty-mile loop at 12mph is very different than a twenty-mile look at 17mph. For someone truly committed to losing weight through exercise, a power meter should be their next purchase. How many Joules today, big boy?
Old 08-28-23, 09:57 PM
SkinGriz
Live not by lies.

Bikes: BigBox bikes.

Mentioned: 3 Post(s)
Quoted: 860 Post(s)
Liked 784 Times in 582 Posts
Originally Posted by bald1der
As much as I'd love to say that riding my bike daily has led me to lose weight, I can't. Now what I can say is that riding my bike has kept me from gaining weight. When I retired I noticed the gut was coming, I started walking the neighborhood but my knees didn't want to cooperate. Bike riding was recommended by my doctor. Leisure ride 10-20 miles 4-5 days a week keeps me in shape.
I wonder if running in formation is extra hard on knees.
Old 08-29-23, 03:47 PM
bald1der

Bikes: Cannondale CX3

Quoted: 24 Post(s)
Liked 37 Times in 26 Posts
Originally Posted by SkinGriz
I wonder if running in formation is extra hard on knees.
Either the running in formation or the 40lb rucksack. 30yrs will really wear out the joints