Go Back  Bike Forums > Bike Forums > Winter Cycling
Reload this Page >

Wow, a cheap winter tire

Search
Notices
Winter Cycling Don't let snow and ice discourage you this winter. The key element to year-round cycling is proper attire! Check out this winter cycling forum to chat with other ice bike fanatics.

Wow, a cheap winter tire

Search this Thread

Old 12-16-22, 03:30 PM
Frkl
Must be symmetrical

Bikes: ... but look, they're all totally different!

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 108 Post(s)
Liked 186 Times in 102 Posts
Wow, a cheap winter tire

I recently bought a pair of Kujo Ken B 26x2.3" tires, which actually measure a bit less than the advertised 58mm (55mm on my wide Araya winter crud rims). To be perfectly honest, I bought them because I wanted a big, BMX type tire that wasn't a Maxxis DTH or Schwalbe BillyBonkers for a build photo shoot, so completely for the looks. I assumed the ride would be about as good as the $12 each tire cost.

But my kid just managed to cut a 1 inch slit in his Schwalbe "flat proof" whatevers after the last freeze, probably on the ice, so I put them on his bike as a stop gap.

Not only do they look amazing, but it turns out that they ride super in the ice and snow. We just had a serious black ice freeze followed by sub freezing snow. Sure, on pure ice they would be ineffective--but in this case, only metal studs make a difference. But, I swapped his tires, took the bike for a spin, and I was very impressed. I am not a tire snob, but I do care about handling. Not everything has to be jan Heine supple, but I don't tolerate rock-hard tires.

The Kujos were very good. Full traction by acceleration and braking in snow, slush, and snow covered ice. And I locked out the wheels and even the slide was controlled. I attribute this to the deep omni-directional checker board tread. yeah, the advertised weight per tire is 1.3kg or something (I think this is an overestimate, the tires are probably 1kg light ).

Are there better winter tires? Sure. I have a pair of Schwalbe Marathon Winter Plus studded tires and these provide a lot of confidence on the local ice rink. But these cost nearly $50 a piece, if I remember. The Kujo Ken B 2.3 were under $12 each. And at least 80% as good. Are they durable? Who knows? But even if they last only two winters, that's fine. I just bought 2 more pairs, so I am set for four years, and all for less then the cost of one Schwalbe.

Last edited by Frkl; 12-17-22 at 01:29 AM.
Likes For Frkl:
Old 12-18-22, 08:27 AM
rumrunn6

Bikes: Bottecchia Sprint, GT Timberline 29r, Marin Muirwoods 29er, Trek FX Alpha 7.0

Mentioned: 112 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 5224 Post(s)
Liked 3,581 Times in 2,342 Posts
pics or it didn't happen

looks like a Maxxis Holy Roller, which I had a lot of fun on. was good on paved bike trails w/ the family & also hard dirt trails

Last edited by rumrunn6; 12-18-22 at 08:45 AM.