Search
Notices
Track Cycling: Velodrome Racing and Training Area Looking to enter into the realm of track racing? Want to share your experiences and tactics for riding on a velodrome? The Track Cycling forums is for you! Come in and discuss training/racing, equipment, and current track cycling events.

Saddle height

Search this Thread

Old 02-07-23, 10:57 AM
Poppit

Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 111 Post(s)
Liked 5 Times in 4 Posts
Saddle height

What is the best method for calculating the best saddle height for a track sprinter? I noticed at the recent British Champs that the sprinters seemed to have quite a high saddle height with their legs being closer to straight at the bottom of the pedal stroke than I'd seen before.
Old 02-10-23, 08:52 AM
Morelock

Mentioned: 7 Post(s)
Quoted: 282 Post(s)
Liked 50 Times in 37 Posts
When I'm fitting folks it 100% comes down to personal preference after we get them "95%" of the way there. You can be off by a pretty large margin either direction per some studies conducted on saddle height before it starts negatively affecting power...IF it doesn't cause other issues. (knee and back pain being common) Bike fit in general also can have real and manufactured "trends" (ie people copy other people they think are fast is real, manufactured is people riding bikes that aren't really ideal for them and then trying to "make it work.")
There is no evidence I'm aware of that has ever indicated a higher saddle (or lower for that matter) has an impact on avg or peak power... (outside someone being far out of range) although I'm open to see some. In theory, a higher saddle (straighter leg) could have an impact on aerodynamics (negatively) because you have more cylinder in the wind at all points of the pedalstroke, although that's something that doesn't account for many factors and would be individual.
Maybe crank length?
Old 02-13-23, 08:16 AM
topflightpro

Mentioned: 54 Post(s)
Quoted: 1851 Post(s)
Liked 678 Times in 429 Posts
Originally Posted by Morelock
In theory, a higher saddle (straighter leg) could have an impact on aerodynamics (negatively) because you have more cylinder in the wind at all points of the pedalstroke, although that's something that doesn't account for many factors and would be individual.
But if the higher saddle helps you achieve a flatter back and get your arms at a 90-degree bend, then do you benefit aerodynamically? Or would it be a wash?
Old 02-13-23, 08:22 AM
Morelock

Mentioned: 7 Post(s)
Quoted: 282 Post(s)
Liked 50 Times in 37 Posts
Originally Posted by topflightpro
But if the higher saddle helps you achieve a flatter back and get your arms at a 90-degree bend, then do you benefit aerodynamically? Or would it be a wash?
It's a good question, but not one you could guess the right answer to. There is no doubt an optimal (aerodynamically) sweet spot... for everyone... but finding it would take a lot of testing and results you had faith in.
Likes For Morelock:
Old 02-16-23, 05:50 AM
Poppit

Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Quoted: 111 Post(s)
Liked 5 Times in 4 Posts
As we're going to be setting the height on a seat post that we can only adjust be cutting, i.e. a BT Edge, I think we'll start off high and come down in 10mm increments if necessary.
Old 02-23-23, 02:51 PM
brawlo

Mentioned: 13 Post(s)
Quoted: 288 Post(s)
Liked 76 Times in 57 Posts
I think work with that 30deg bend in the leg. Seems to be good and allows for full extension with a slight drop of the heel.

When you cut the post, get someone that is willing (because carbon dust) to cut sections off the off cut so you can space back up if they work that way. I had 5, 10 & 15mm spacers, only ever used the 5mm