Search
Notices
Long Distance Competition/Ultracycling, Randonneuring and Endurance Cycling Do you enjoy centuries, double centuries, brevets, randonnees, and 24-hour time trials? Share ride reports, and exchange training, equipment, and nutrition information specific to long distance cycling. This isn't for tours, this is for endurance events cycling

What is your handlebar width?

Search this Thread

Old 02-09-23, 01:28 AM
kach

Bikes: author ronin

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 12 Post(s)
Liked 24 Times in 6 Posts
What is your handlebar width?

Hi all
I now ride with a 42cm handlebar salsa cowcheaper and 100mm stem
but I'm getting a new bike
and would like to try something wider like 46 or 48cm with a shorter stem
on Rene Herce's website, wide handlebars are praised for their stability, comfort, gap for a bag , and even for aerodynamics
a lot of the things they talk about like wide tires work for me
I often drive off the road
who has any ideas?

Last edited by kach; 02-09-23 at 02:39 AM.
Old 02-09-23, 09:25 AM
clasher

Mentioned: 16 Post(s)
Quoted: 229 Post(s)
Liked 148 Times in 103 Posts
I have the Nitto B135, their 39cm model... which measures 39 at the ends of the bar, but since it's flared the hoods are only ~32 apart. I absolutely love it. I ride on gravel roads with that bike, but it's mostly a brevet bike. I don't like wide handlebars, feels like driving a bus. My mountain bike has really wide bars and I keep thinking about cutting them down, or buying some narrower ones. I guess on a gravel bike designed with the wider bars it might handle better but my bike has bog standard "endurance road" geometry so I doubt it'd like the feel of wider bars.
Likes For clasher:
Old 02-09-23, 09:54 AM
GhostRider62

Mentioned: 6 Post(s)
Quoted: 2333 Post(s)
Liked 2,097 Times in 1,314 Posts
Wide tires and wide handlebars are aerodynamic?

I ride either 40 or 42cm bars. I'm 191 cm tall if that helps

For comfort, I find flat top bars very helpful and a suspension stem a little helpful or about the same as carbon vs aluminum
Old 02-09-23, 10:49 AM
79pmooney

Bikes: (2) ti TiCycles, 2007 w/ triple and 2011 fixed, 1979 Peter Mooney, ~1983 Trek 420 now fixed and ~1973 Raleigh Carlton Competition gravel grinder

Mentioned: 129 Post(s)
Quoted: 4806 Post(s)
Liked 3,928 Times in 2,553 Posts
The ancient rule of thumb was that your handlebars should be the width of the balls of your shoulders; that you should be able to fit your shoulder balls into the unplugged bar ends. For me, on the road, that works very, very well. Wider is less aero. I haven't seen the numbers or have forgot them but I have thousands of miles logged going upwind. Narrower is better.

Now I do like a little wider on gravel and considerably wider on my climbing fix gears. Better control, less concern with aero on gravel and on fix gear climbs, the wider the bars, the more leverage and less force required from my arms. (My avatar photo - those forearms are so tensed up trying to wrestle that bike up the 14% grade you see in a 42-17 gear that when I touched them with soap a few hours later, it hurt! On 44 cm bars. I don't even want to think about what the 39s of my shoulders would have felt like.) On the fix gear, that wider bar has another real benefit. Aero, Yes, you heard me. A real aerodynamic benefit. More drag means big time downhills are slower, easier to pedal, better control and more fun.
Old 02-09-23, 07:10 PM
unterhausen
Randomhead

Quoted: 4 Post(s)
Liked 3,696 Times in 2,517 Posts
I think as wide as I would go is 42cm. Narrow bars were in style for pro cyclists for a while, but the UCI shut that down IIRC. I like to use a front bag, and even on my bike with 38mm bars it seems okay. I suppose the side pockets might be easier to use with wider bars, but those side pockets don't seem too useful to me anyway.
Old 02-09-23, 07:34 PM
Steve B.

Bikes: Flyxii FR322, Cannondale Topstone, Miyata City Liner, Specialized Chisel, Specialized Epic Evo

Mentioned: 18 Post(s)
Quoted: 3238 Post(s)
Liked 2,084 Times in 1,180 Posts
740mm on the mt. bikes, 46cm on the road bikes
Old 02-09-23, 10:53 PM
ThermionicScott 
working on my sandal tan

Bikes: 1991 Bianchi Eros, 1964 Armstrong, 1988 Diamondback Ascent, 1988 Bianchi Premio, 1987 Bianchi Sport SX, 1980s Raleigh mixte (hers), All-City Space Horse (hers)

Mentioned: 98 Post(s)
Quoted: 3871 Post(s)
Liked 2,568 Times in 1,579 Posts
Originally Posted by kach
Hi all
I now ride with a 42cm handlebar salsa cowcheaper and 100mm stem
but I'm getting a new bike
and would like to try something wider like 46 or 48cm with a shorter stem
on Rene Herce's website, wide handlebars are praised for their stability, comfort, gap for a bag , and even for aerodynamics
a lot of the things they talk about like wide tires work for me
I often drive off the road
who has any ideas?
I tend to think they're on the right track about handlebar width and trail. That is, wider bars with high trail, narrower bars with low trail. How much trail will your new bike have? If custom, now is a good time to think about how all that integrates.
People in this forum are not typical.
RUSA #7498
Likes For ThermionicScott:
Old 02-10-23, 02:21 AM
kach

my new frame have high trail about 68mm
and I want to use my bike 65/35 gravel off-road/road
Old 02-10-23, 05:21 AM
Tourist in MSN

Bikes: 1961 Ideor, 1966 Perfekt 3 Speed AB Hub, 1994 Bridgestone MB-6, 2006 Airnimal Joey, 2009 Thorn Sherpa, 2013 Thorn Nomad MkII, 2015 VO Pass Hunter, 2017 Lynskey Backroad, 2017 Raleigh Gran Prix, 1980s Bianchi Mixte on a trainer. Others are now gone.

Mentioned: 48 Post(s)
Quoted: 3459 Post(s)
Liked 1,465 Times in 1,143 Posts
My touring bikes and rando bike are all at 44cm (center to center), my road bike is 43cm. I was curious so I measured them, I had bought the bars so long ago I could not recall what they were except the road bike that I bought as a complete bike. I am 6 foot in height.

Tops of my bars are about the same height as the top of my saddle. I am not a racer, aerodynamics not that critical to me.

My touring bikes with that width have seen plenty of gravel with panniers, front and rear. That width was adequate for me for leverage on rougher terrain with panniers. My bars are regular drop bars, not the cowchipper style.

If you are contemplating a bag on the handlebars, make sure you have the clearance you need. In the photo, I have the room I need but if my bag was higher the pocket on it would interfere with shifting. The bag in the photo is the biggest handlebar bag I have, I use that for touring. I have my bag mounted lower on a second stem which lowers my bag. This photo is on my rando bike when I built it up seven years ago, I was checking for clearance so used the widest bag I had when I checked for clearance.

Likes For Tourist in MSN:
Old 02-10-23, 08:59 AM
kach

my height is 5 feet 8 inches
my setup is now 42cm shoulder width about 42-43cm
my bikefiter said that 46 handlebars will not cause problems
I don't think that I will have problems with switching because I use the Gevenalle shifter

Last edited by kach; 02-10-23 at 09:37 AM.
Old 02-10-23, 11:40 AM
antimonysarah

Bikes: Nishiki Bel-Air, Brompton P6L, Seven Resolute SLX, Co-motion Divide, Xtracycle RFA

Mentioned: 8 Post(s)
Quoted: 76 Post(s)
Liked 66 Times in 33 Posts
I have the Rene Herse Maes bars on my gravel bike (and the old Velo Orange copycat on my brevet bike although it seems they don't make it any more -- I got the VO one because the RH was out of stock when I was building that bike -- in fact you can see them pretty clearly in my userpic, which is a head-on view of my brevet bike). 44cm in the lightly flared drops, 40cm at the hoods. I'm 5'5" and broad-shouldered for a woman my height, probably average-shouldered for a guy my height.

It's amusing to me that you say Jan/RH are big into wider bars, since when they introduced a lot of these bars there was considerable outcry that they only had "narrow" versions, especially from some very tall gents but also just people who like their bars wide, though they have added some sizes. (Alas, no comments on the blog these days -- while comments are always one step from deteriorating into nonsense on the internet, there was actually a lot of good advice and friendly chats in them back in the day.
Old 02-11-23, 03:20 AM
Tourist in MSN

Bikes: 1961 Ideor, 1966 Perfekt 3 Speed AB Hub, 1994 Bridgestone MB-6, 2006 Airnimal Joey, 2009 Thorn Sherpa, 2013 Thorn Nomad MkII, 2015 VO Pass Hunter, 2017 Lynskey Backroad, 2017 Raleigh Gran Prix, 1980s Bianchi Mixte on a trainer. Others are now gone.

Originally Posted by kach
... I use the Gevenalle shifter
In your initial post, you mentioned that you might use a bag on the handlebars.

A friend of mine had the older Shimano brifters that had a cable run that was similar to yours. He used V brake noodles to change his cable direction so that it did not interfere with his handlebar bag on his touring bike. Photo was cropped from a bigger one, so it is not a very good photo but it shows the noodles and cable run.

Old 02-11-23, 05:04 AM
GhostRider62

Mentioned: 6 Post(s)
Quoted: 2333 Post(s)
Liked 2,097 Times in 1,314 Posts
I would not go wider than shoulder width myself on a road only rando bike but YMMV. I would focus more on the bend and in particular how the wrists are angled and hands are supported. The angle of the hoods to the bars. Some bars are flared meaning they are quite wide in the drops and narrower than on the hoods. Modern compact bars have a flat transition to the hoods. Personally, I find this flat area around to be very comfortable because the forces are dispersed on the meat of your palm. It make take several purchases to get what you want, sort of like shoes or saddles.
Likes For GhostRider62:
Old 02-13-23, 10:57 AM
adamrice 
mosquito rancher

Bikes: Bob Jackson 853 Arrowhead; Felt VR30; Kinesis UK RTD; Hujsak tandem

Mentioned: 3 Post(s)
Quoted: 206 Post(s)
Liked 181 Times in 133 Posts
40 cm. I've got 42 cm on one of my bikes, but really should change that. I've contemplated trying 38 cm. I'm 173 cm tall, fwiw.
Old 02-13-23, 11:25 AM
zandoval 

Bikes: Univega, Peu P6, Peu PR-10, Ted Williams, Peu UO-8, Peu UO-18 Mixte, Peu Dolomites

Mentioned: 13 Post(s)
Quoted: 965 Post(s)
Liked 1,629 Times in 1,045 Posts
I am wondering if other Geezers have experienced the same trend as I have. A wider handle bar now feels more comfortable. Of course I no longer ride aggressively either...
Old 02-16-23, 02:16 AM
kach

I'm also interested in this
aerodynamics is not as important to me as comfort and stability on and off the road
but aerodynamics matter so much that I won’t put myself an XL handlebar like 52cm and wider
Old 02-17-23, 09:24 AM
Tourist in MSN

Originally Posted by zandoval
I am wondering if other Geezers have experienced the same trend as I have. A wider handle bar now feels more comfortable. Of course I no longer ride aggressively either...
I am not a geezer, I am only 69 years young. Maybe some genuine geezers will respond?

But I have always liked wider bars, but I mean the conventional drop bars, not these new ones like the Cowchipper, etc. When I use the drops, I do that solely for more aero position in headwinds, and the logic of the aero position on a Cowchipper being wider and therefore anti-aero fails to make sense to me.

But I am not obsessive on aero positions like some that brag about their times for various rides. I spend maybe 30 percent of my time on the drops, maybe 10 percent on the tops, then 60 percent on the hoods. And since the top of my bars is about the same height of my saddle, I clearly am not working too hard on aero position.

I lost about 15 percent of my body weight about 13 years ago, prior to that I used the drops about 5 percent of the time, they were quite uncomfortable when my belly was that big.

Looking in a mirror with a ruler, my shoulders are about 48cm wide at outer edge to outer edge, bars are 44cm center to center on most of my bikes. My road bike came with 43cm. I do not recall what my folder has, and that is folded in a bag, not going to dig it out to measure.
Likes For Tourist in MSN: