Go Back  Bike Forums > Bike Forums > Living Car Free
Reload this Page >

e-bikes and micromobility

Search
Notices
Living Car Free Do you live car free or car light? Do you prefer to use alternative transportation (bicycles, walking, other human-powered or public transportation) for everyday activities whenever possible? Discuss your lifestyle here.

Search this Thread

Old 02-13-23, 08:36 AM
foothillbilly

Bikes: Ancheer folding e-bike, ancient Trek (24" wheels, modified for my back problem), Zizzo trailer, homemade trailer

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 8 Post(s)
Liked 12 Times in 7 Posts

I'm older than I used to be and not bound to ideals about human power. So about six years ago I bought an electric bicycle, the cheapest I could find on Amazon that came with a rack and might fit. It gave me the help I needed to compensate for my asthma and COPD, and that cheap one is still holding up well with little maintenance. My medical person says to count the exercise just the same as long as I pedal. That makes it possible to fill in for transit on short trips, places transit doesn't go and recreational cycling. A couple of years ago, for various reasons, I bought an electric stand-up scooter (similar to the rentals) that gives me transportation on bad health or weather days I'd be reluctant to use either bike. There's basically no maintenance at all on that other than tire pressure.

I'd still use a car for long trips if I could afford to buy or rent one, but the e-bike and e-scooter have improved my car-free life.

Others' experiences?
Likes For foothillbilly:
Old 02-13-23, 05:42 PM
PhilFo 
Tinker-er

Bikes: 1956 Rudge Sports; 1983 Univega Alpina Uno; 1981 Miyata 610; 1973 Raleigh Twenty; 1994 Breezer Lightning XTR; V4 Yuba Mundo aka "The Schlepper"; 1987 Raleigh "The Edge" Mountain Trials; 1952 R.O. Harrison "Madison"

Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Quoted: 165 Post(s)
Liked 267 Times in 183 Posts
E bikes and scooters, along with regular bicycles, scooters, skateboards, tricycles, unicycles, and pogo sticks, all have a place in the modern commute. I like the word "micromobility." Here in Philly, the city is WAY overcrowded with cars, and I'm part of that problem, so I ride as much as possible. That said, much of the population here drives a car for very small scale mobility. Within the city limits, the average driver's speed is just under 13mph and the average commute is less than 8 miles. That speed and distance can be met with a bicycle and with an E bike even easier. The 8 mile figure means that a person wouldn't even need to recharge during the day before the trip home.
Likes For PhilFo:
Old 02-18-23, 07:32 PM
50PlusCycling

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 548 Post(s)
Liked 793 Times in 403 Posts
I have been using a power assist bike for a few years. I bought it for my wife so she could use it to shuttle around our daughter, little did I know that I would be the one doing most of the shuttling, or I would have chosen a color other than pink. But it works well enough, and I do admit that I get a workout on it. I use it so much that last night I realized I hadn’t started my car in more than a month, so I took it out for a drive to warm it up.
Likes For 50PlusCycling:
Old 02-20-23, 03:50 AM
foothillbilly

Bikes: Ancheer folding e-bike, ancient Trek (24" wheels, modified for my back problem), Zizzo trailer, homemade trailer

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Quoted: 8 Post(s)
Liked 12 Times in 7 Posts
I have a friend here in Ohio. She is strictly a car traveler here, but she's attended conferences in Philly and was unwilling to drive there. She used transit.
Old 07-31-23, 08:06 PM
jaxy357

Bikes: '23 Specialized Roll 3.0 low entry, '84 Bridgestone 300, '84 Centurion Le Mans 12, Free Spirit project bike

Mentioned: 4 Post(s)
Quoted: 34 Post(s)
Liked 97 Times in 40 Posts
Yes! I consider myself a multimodal commuter - bike/train. SEPTA is the Jawn.