Go Back  Bike Forums > Bike Forums > Recumbent
Reload this Page >

HP Velotechnik Scorpion FS vs FX and Other Questions

Search
Notices
Recumbent What IS that thing?! Recumbents may be odd looking, but they have many advantages over a "wedgie" bicycle. Discuss the in's and out's recumbent lifestyle in the recumbent forum.

Search this Thread

Old 04-02-23, 05:09 PM
newbert

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 47 Post(s)
Liked 17 Times in 16 Posts

I'm considering getting a new trike this year and am focused on HP Velotechnik. I'm confused about a few things and hope to get some answers about:

1. Scorpion FX vs FX - Other than price and different suspensions, what else is the main difference between these two? Which of the two is the more versatile trike in terms of suitability for a wide variety of road surfaces?

2, Does HP's Ergomesh Premium seat already come with a head rest? (I've seen photos and information showing it both ways.)

3. Is the height of the Ergomesh Premium HS seat adjustable at all? Or is it fixed at 11 cm higher? IOW, can it be set to any height from 0 to 11cm above "normal"?

Thanks!
Old 04-03-23, 08:55 AM
DeadGrandpa

Bikes: Too many, yet not enough.

Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Quoted: 491 Post(s)
Liked 311 Times in 201 Posts
I'm not an HP owner, nor have I ever looked at one closely, but you aroused my curiosity. As owner of a single trike, I'm always thinking about getting a second trike, so I'm very interested in your decision process.
This is the first review of the FX I found:

https://www.hpvelotechnik.com/en/rev...dpole-folding/

It seems the FX has a higher seat mount. It doesn't say adjustable height, but this is a bentrider online review from 2007. It mentioned a more upright seat position with the mesh seat than the previous FS design, if you want that in a trike. A higher seat also means a higher center of gravity and easier tip-over, theoretically, at least, but the review says something about the suspension lessening that tendency. I have not seen anything mentioned about any trike having an adjustable seat height. Adjustable seat angle, yes, but the seat height seems to be baked into the basic design. A higher seat height can handle rougher terrain? I think of "off road" as "off pavement", so I'm not sure 3+3/4" more seat height is necessary for gravel. The FX does have a slightly (?) upgraded suspension compared to the FS, but I would think a higher seat height would yield a less sporty ride.. The only downside I see to having the sophisticated suspension is the extra weight of the suspension mechanism. Is it a great deal of extra weight? I don't know. Is the suspension worth the extra weight and money? People who have suspension say yes, and they may be right. Previous discussions about 20 vs 26 seem to have you going with the more compact 20, with a smaller turning radius. I think the 26 is said to have a little smoother ride, but with the suspension you won't need it.

I doubt this post will help you decide which HP to buy, but I'm definitely interested in your decision. I think someone in another thread said something about the HP FX Enduro being somewhat similar to the ICE Adventure or Adventure HD, which my dealer recently suggested that I consider for my next trike (instead of the Full Fat). The ICE suspension is much different from the HP approach, though, so kinda apples and oranges. If you can't take a road trip, or if your dealer of choice doesn't have both models you're considering, maybe you can try an ICE Adventure for the higher seat experience, disregard the ICE suspension and assume the HP suspension is going to be more deluxe. You can find out if you want a mesh seat or the HP version of the ICE ErgoLuxe seat. Please keep us informed, and good luck.
Old 04-03-23, 09:33 AM
newbert

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Quoted: 47 Post(s)
Liked 17 Times in 16 Posts
Thanks for your thoughts, DeadGraandpa. I do plan to make an overnight drive to my nearest HP dealer in a week or two,and will be test-riding as many trikes as I can. I started this thread just to get as much info beforehand as possible.

Will keep you informed.