Go Back  Bike Forums > Bike Forums > Mountain Biking
Reload this Page >

Mtb posture

Search
Notices
Mountain Biking Mountain biking is one of the fastest growing sports in the world. Check out this forum to discuss the latest tips, tricks, gear and equipment in the world of mountain biking.

Mtb posture

Search this Thread

Old 04-09-23, 12:52 PM
CrowSeph

Bikes: BMC SLR01; Cannondale Trail; Lot's of project and vintage bikes..

Mentioned: 10 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 333 Post(s)
Liked 167 Times in 101 Posts
Mtb posture

Hello , i'am looking for an article or a specific rule to set up my mtb.
In the specific topic i want to know if the stem lenght and the handlebar height.

thanks
Old 04-09-23, 02:20 PM
Eric F 
Habitual User

Bikes: 2023 Niner RLT 9 RDO, 2018 Trek Procaliber 9.9 RSL, 2018 Storck Fascenario.3 Platinum, 2003 Time VX Special Pro, 2001 Colnago VIP, 1999 Trek 9900 singlespeed, 1977 Nishiki ONP

Mentioned: 5 Post(s)
Quoted: 4933 Post(s)
Liked 8,073 Times in 3,815 Posts
I’m not aware of any specific rule of guideline for MTBs. Like fitting any bike, it’s mostly about personal preference, riding style, and what is comfortable for your body. I have good spinal flexibility and ride a lightweight XC hardtail. I prefer my bars a couple of inches lower than the seat, and the stem length putting the bar in a location that it obscures my view of the front hub. On a different style of MTB bike, or for a rider with less flexibility, this might not work at all.
Old 04-09-23, 09:35 PM
veganbikes
Clark W. Griswold

Bikes: Foundry Chilkoot Ti W/Ultegra Di2, Salsa Timberjack Ti, Cinelli Mash Work RandoCross Fun Time Machine, 1x9 XT Parts Hybrid, Co-Motion Cascadia, Specialized Langster, Phil Wood Apple VeloXS Frame (w/DA 7400), R+M Supercharger2 Rohloff, Habanero Ti 26

Mentioned: 54 Post(s)
Quoted: 4342 Post(s)
Liked 3,978 Times in 2,659 Posts
You might see a fitter.

I am sure someone has come up with silly rules and maybe that is your shtick but no you don't need any rules you need a fitter if you have fit issues. Otherwise ride your bike and enjoy it and don't worry about some idiot on the internet writing odd rules that may work for them and a couple other people. Fit is not a rule, fit is a way to adjust your bike to make it work for you.
Old 04-11-23, 05:36 AM
staehpj1

Mentioned: 7 Post(s)
Quoted: 1251 Post(s)
Liked 754 Times in 560 Posts
I'd suggest that some basic stuff is the same for any bike. I'd say start with some of the basic cockpit stuff being the same as a road bike and go from there. Back in my racing days I set up all may bikes as pretty close to the same aggressive setup as my road race bike. I had take great effort in getting that bike the way I wanted it, so I'd take a tape measure to it and duplicate the measurements on new bikes when setting them up. That included my rigid MTB race bike and even my touring bike. I still ride that MTB in that same setup these 30+ years later at age 71, but I also have a 29er hard tail that has the bars set up a good bit higher than the saddle that is my daily ride these days.

The basics of getting power to the pedals dictates where the saddle is relative to the pedals some of the other stuff may vary with how you intent to use the bike.
Likes For staehpj1:
Old 04-12-23, 08:34 AM
c_m_shooter

Bikes: Soma Pescadero, Surly Pugsley, Salsa Fargo, Schwinn Klunker, Gravity SS 27.5, Monocog 29er

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 186 Post(s)
Liked 234 Times in 166 Posts
There is more variability in setup in mountain bikes due to geometry, handling, and riding styles. Starting with a fairly neutral fit with the same reach from saddle to controls as your touring road bike is a fairly good plan for an XC bike. Downhillers and dirt jumpers will want a shorter, more upright setup.
Likes For c_m_shooter:
Old 04-12-23, 08:50 AM
2old

Mentioned: 9 Post(s)
Quoted: 880 Post(s)
Liked 817 Times in 617 Posts
For me, set the seat height (determined by placing my heel on the pedal and raising the saddle and pedaling backward until my knee was straight). Then I'd sit on the bike with it balanced against something, close my eyes and determine where to put my hands when I felt comfortable. This resulted in a slight crouch with my elbows slightly bent. The other more expensive, more scientific way is to get a fitting at a bike shop.
Old 05-12-23, 02:42 AM
LJR69

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Quoted: 1 Post(s)
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
There is quite an informative cockpit set up video from GMBN Tech. I can't link to it as I don't have 10 posts apparently. However, if you search YouTube for 'How To Find A MTB Cockpit Set Up That Works For You' you'll find it easy enough. It goes into more (some might say unnecessary) level of detail, but is an interesting watch if nothing else.
Old 05-14-23, 12:43 PM
Kapusta
Advanced Slacker

Bikes: Soma Fog Cutter, Surly Wednesday, Canfielld Tilt

Mentioned: 26 Post(s)
Quoted: 2762 Post(s)
Liked 2,537 Times in 1,433 Posts
This has all the info you need:

MTB Fit Guides
Old 05-16-23, 01:07 PM
Misti
Racer. Writer. Coach. Mom

Bikes: Santa Cruz Bronson

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked 6 Times in 3 Posts
Originally Posted by LJR69
There is quite an informative cockpit set up video from GMBN Tech. I can't link to it as I don't have 10 posts apparently. However, if you search YouTube for 'How To Find A MTB Cockpit Set Up That Works For You' you'll find it easy enough. It goes into more (some might say unnecessary) level of detail, but is an interesting watch if nothing else.
Cool, thanks for this. I've never put time into setting it up at all I just ride Looks interesting.
Old 05-27-23, 07:17 AM
CrowSeph

Bikes: BMC SLR01; Cannondale Trail; Lot's of project and vintage bikes..

Mentioned: 10 Post(s)
Quoted: 333 Post(s)
Liked 167 Times in 101 Posts
Update. i talked with an expert and told me that my bike frame is a bit big for my measure.
But i can use anyways , just had to swap the handlebar (switching from a low rize to a fully flat one) and also from a -7 to a -20° stem.
Old 05-27-23, 02:26 PM
georges1
Steel is real

Bikes: 1992Giant Tourer,1992MeridaAlbon,1996Scapin,1998KonaKilaueua,1993Peugeot Prestige,1991RaleighTeamZ(to be upgraded),1998 Jamis Dragon,1992CTWallis(to be built),1998VettaTeam(to be built),1995Coppi(to be built),1993Grandis(to be built)

Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Quoted: 667 Post(s)
Liked 967 Times in 641 Posts
Before cutting the fork steerer, make sure that you don't cut it too much and see how your arms are positionned and that your back isn't too low. Also if you have long legs, think about longer cranks.