Go Back  Bike Forums > Community Connections > Introductions
Reload this Page >

Hello!! (again, evidently)

Notices
Introductions Welcome to the BikeForums community! Please introduce yourself to other forum members here.

Old 04-10-23, 07:21 PM
theronin

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 13 Post(s)
Liked 4 Times in 3 Posts

I recently got back into biking over the 2022 Christmas break and had been meaning to start up an account here ... only to realize I already had one LOL!! Turns out I had signed up back in 2017 when I had questions surrounding a fixie (can't post links yet) I had picked up. Well that old thread just goes to prove the old adage that if a bike isn't right for you, you likely will not stick with it. From that thread, I can see how I tried rationalizing the frame that was too big for me lol. How sad. I ended up selling that bike and never biked again ...

... until 2022 Christmas when we hadn't planned for a vacation but was sitting on decent cash having finally found a decent job post Covid earlier that year. I ended up getting me and my wife hybrid bikes. I got a Cannondale Quick 5 (7 speed Tourney) and my wife a Giant Escape 2 (8 speed Diore is it?). Both very capable disc brake hybrids. And while the whole point was to allow us to do some casual biking, I very quickly wanted to go faster. Much faster. I ended up deciding on keeping the hybrid and getting an entry level road bike - an Optimo 4 (8 speed Claris). I have not looked back since.

I love this. Like REALLY love this lol. I devoured youtube videos so I can tune and maintain the bikes myself. I know it's not the smartest move but I ended up upgrading practically everything but the frame on my Optimo 4. Easton carbon drop bars, Easton alloy stem, Easton carbon saddle post, Fizik (semi carbon?) saddle, Campognolo Zhonda wheels, Vittorio Corsa 25mm tires, 11-28T cassette (I didn't like the big jumps and I don't climb often). I also replaced all the cabling and housing, straightened out the derailleur hanger (fell pretty bad a few times learning clipless), sized and swapped chains, and tuned derailleurs and calipers.

Again, I know it's not the most economical to upgrade a starter road bike, but I really like this frame that much. Perhaps when I get a big enough raise or promotion, I'll consider an all carbon setup. But for now, I do have my eyes set on a 105 groupset upgrade. Then that will definitely be it for this bike.

Well I can't seem to post photos but one I can, I will definitely be posting pics of my bikes!! Thanks everyone!!

P.S. The hybrids also got their own customizations - both now sport slightly flared drop bars with proper wheels turning them into wanna-be gravel bikes.
Old 04-11-23, 06:56 AM
bike_tom

Bikes: 2022 Trek Checkpoint ALR5, 2014 Cannondale Trail SL1, 1983 Fuji Royale II

Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Quoted: 141 Post(s)
Liked 574 Times in 235 Posts
Welcome back.

Sounds like you definitely have the bike bug.
Old 04-11-23, 07:04 PM
theronin

Liked 4 Times in 3 Posts
Yes, I do. Just priced out a 105 groupset and pulled the trigger.
Old 04-12-23, 03:00 PM
georges1
Steel is real

Bikes: 1992Giant Tourer,1992MeridaAlbon,1996Scapin,1998KonaKilaueua,1993Peugeot Prestige,1991RaleighTeamZ(to be upgraded),1998 Jamis Dragon,1992CTWallis(to be built),1998VettaTeam(to be built),1995Coppi(to be built),1993Grandis(to be built)

Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Quoted: 626 Post(s)
Liked 899 Times in 587 Posts
welcome on board the 105 is very good value for money
Old 04-13-23, 05:21 AM
J.Mulder1234

Quoted: 1 Post(s)
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Welcome!
Old 04-17-23, 06:05 PM
theronin

Liked 4 Times in 3 Posts
Thanks guys. Just started on the 105 upgrade. Just having the 11 speed cassette on there instead of the 8 speed Claris is so ... legit lol.

When I get home from work, I hope to get the crankset and front deurallier installed as well as the front brakes. Then all that's left will be the levers and replacing all the cables and housings (probably didn't need to do that but ... its 105 man lol).

And yes I'm trying to get to my 10 posts so I can finally share pics of my obsession lol.
Old 04-23-23, 07:35 AM
curiousbiker198

Quoted: 2 Post(s)
Liked 3 Times in 3 Posts
welcome back.....again! Newbie here too, although not as far down the road as you. I love older bikes so I guess I should start posting in the vintage forum LOL
Old 04-23-23, 08:05 AM
Homebrew01
Super Moderator

Bikes: Old Steelies I made, Old Cannondales

Mentioned: 12 Post(s)
Quoted: 1173 Post(s)
Liked 924 Times in 610 Posts
Welcome back. Plenty of good subforums to help you.

FYI: https://www.bikeforums.net/forum-sugg...ad-please.html