Go Back  Bike Forums > Bike Forums > Electric Bikes
Reload this Page >

Disappointing Experience with New Shimano Steps EP8

Search
Notices
Electric Bikes Here's a place to discuss ebikes, from home grown to high-tech.

Search this Thread

Old 04-16-23, 10:37 AM
newbert

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 47 Post(s)
Liked 17 Times in 16 Posts

Not sure if this is the correct place to post this. My new trike has a Shimano Steps EP8 e-Assist motor which feels pretty under-powered to me. This thread explains what I base this on. This motor supposedly can have its settings changed by the user using Shimano's "E-Tube" app. I'd like to try that, but I'm having trouble getting the app and motor to communicate.

So, could anyone recommend a good online support forum for the Shimano EP8 motors?

Thanks!
Old 04-16-23, 05:22 PM
2old

Mentioned: 9 Post(s)
Quoted: 881 Post(s)
Liked 820 Times in 620 Posts
I'd suggest MTBR or electricbikereview - forums - user reviews and problems by brand; if there's nothing there, you could start a thread.
Old 04-16-23, 05:44 PM
veganbikes
Clark W. Griswold

Bikes: Foundry Chilkoot Ti W/Ultegra Di2, Salsa Timberjack Ti, Cinelli Mash Work RandoCross Fun Time Machine, 1x9 XT Parts Hybrid, Co-Motion Cascadia, Specialized Langster, Phil Wood Apple VeloXS Frame (w/DA 7400), R+M Supercharger2 Rohloff, Habanero Ti 26

Mentioned: 54 Post(s)
Quoted: 4348 Post(s)
Liked 3,985 Times in 2,661 Posts
Your local Shimano dealer could help with that I think at least for the e-bike stuff and older Di2 stuff you do need to actually plug it in using the PCE-1 (or whatever number they are on now). Not sure what they would really change but the EP-8 motor is supposedly pretty good and is 85nm of torque which is the same as my Bosch Performance Line Speed motor. It could very well be changes in the trike and wheel sizes and positioning that is making it feel different. Also crank length and gearing will play a huge factor as well. Sometimes if they have adjustable settings with the different modes that can also play a role. Bosch if you pay a little bit you can adjust the assist levels but I haven't bothered. I haven't had a chance to play with the new EP8 motor so I am not as familiar with it yet in the service stages.

EBR does have a good forum as 2old mentioned
Old 04-17-23, 12:44 PM
crn3371

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 43 Post(s)
Liked 30 Times in 16 Posts
My Steps 5000 system was pretty easy to connect. First, make sure you have Bluetooth enabled on your phone. Open the E-Tube app then turn on your e-bike and they “should” automatically connect via Bluetooth.
Old 04-17-23, 05:32 PM
tds101 
55+ Club,...

Bikes: 9+,...

Mentioned: 11 Post(s)
Quoted: 1112 Post(s)
Liked 845 Times in 589 Posts
Originally Posted by 2old
I'd suggest MTBR or electricbikereview - forums - user reviews and problems by brand; if there's nothing there, you could start a thread.
ElectricBikeReview is an excellent place to ask questions. MTBR is crap.
Old 04-17-23, 06:26 PM
2old

Mentioned: 9 Post(s)
Quoted: 881 Post(s)
Liked 820 Times in 620 Posts
MTBR caters mostly to the OEM crowd and IMO it can't hurt to see if any have had a similar problem.
Old 05-07-23, 07:28 PM
Mike_Kelly

Quoted: 42 Post(s)
Liked 46 Times in 27 Posts
Remember the bluetooth capability is a function of your display head. You can connect via a cable but it is more difficult.
The EP8 was not designed to be a power house. It is only a 85nm motor. It was designed for eMTB where the rider wants a natural MTB experience.
So the designers expected the customer to do much of the work.
Old 05-08-23, 07:49 AM
newbert

Originally Posted by Mike_Kelly
Remember the bluetooth capability is a function of your display head. You can connect via a cable but it is more difficult.
The EP8 was not designed to be a power house. It is only a 85nm motor. It was designed for eMTB where the rider wants a natural MTB experience.
So the designers expected the customer to do much of the work.
I tried connecting via Bluetooth a few weeks ago and could not get a connection. Perhaps I'll try again when I have a little more patience.

That said, I'm getting more used to the EP8 - 85 nm is still more than the 50 nm I had on my Bosch. Still, if I could raise the level(s) of assist in ECO and TRAIL, it would be perfect (BOOST is fine for me as is.)

Thanks.
Old 05-08-23, 08:10 AM
Mike_Kelly

Originally Posted by newbert
I tried connecting via Bluetooth a few weeks ago and could not get a connection. Perhaps I'll try again when I have a little more patience.

That said, I'm getting more used to the EP8 - 85 nm is still more than the 50 nm I had on my Bosch. Still, if I could raise the level(s) of assist in ECO and TRAIL, it would be perfect (BOOST is fine for me as is.)

Thanks.
What I should have said is that not all displays have a bluetooth capability. Without it you will not be able to connect the app.
Old 05-08-23, 10:23 AM
crn3371

Quoted: 43 Post(s)
Liked 30 Times in 16 Posts
One thing to remember is that the Bluetooth is only discoverable for 30 seconds after turning the bike on, so you have to move fast to connect the app.
Old 05-08-23, 04:06 PM
newbert

Originally Posted by Mike_Kelly
What I should have said is that not all displays have a bluetooth capability. Without it you will not be able to connect the app.
Yes, I'm afraid I'm finding that out.
the Shimano Cycle Computer that came with my EP8. (Stop the video at 5:02 to see it.) It seems that perhaps
the one that the EP8 should have come with. (Stop the video at 0:29). So was I sold an outdated controller? Should complain to the seller?

I'm going to try pairing the controller with my phone's bluetooth, but I don't have high hopes.
Old 05-08-23, 04:31 PM
Mike_Kelly

It is not clear how to tell if a display has or does not have bluetooth. SOme units like the one in this video have a bluetooth setting in the menu and some have a bluetooth symbol on the display. Mine has neither and it still works, It is just a feature and not something the dealer is trying to pull a fast one. A bluetooth display might be more expensive than a non-bluetooth. I dealer should be able to connect a cable and help you make the settings you want. MIght be a hassle but you probably won't need to do it more than once to get it to your liking.
Old 05-08-23, 08:01 PM
newbert

Thanks, Mike. While what you say about the dealer is true, my dealer is 5 hours away - so not much of an option.

Fortunately, I've found a video that explains the process using my display, so I'll give it a try tomorrow.
Old 06-07-23, 07:46 AM
newbert

FWIW - I jumped the gun when initiating this thread.

Bluetooth works fine on the controller, and I was able to re-adjust power settings to my liking.

Sorry for the false alarm and I appreciate all the help provided. Happy camper now.
Likes For newbert: