Go Back  Bike Forums > Bike Forums > Mountain Biking
Reload this Page >

Are mag wheels safe?

Search
Notices
Mountain Biking Mountain biking is one of the fastest growing sports in the world. Check out this forum to discuss the latest tips, tricks, gear and equipment in the world of mountain biking.

Are mag wheels safe?

Search this Thread

Old 04-20-23, 12:05 AM
CrimsonEclipse

Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 555 Post(s)
Liked 639 Times in 376 Posts
Are mag wheels safe?

I was given a set of 26" mag(?) wheels with 3 helicopter looking blades as spokes.
They look like the old carbon fiber 3 or 5 blade designs but it's metal, one single piece for the whole wheel and rim and QR which I suspect, makes them older

My intention was to make a mountain bike with parts laying around and these rims.

Are these wheels safe for low level mountain biking? (no jumps or drops of any real magnitude)

I've never used "mag" wheels (proper naming?) so I have no idea if these things are safe.
Old 04-20-23, 08:49 PM
veganbikes
Clark W. Griswold

Bikes: Foundry Chilkoot Ti W/Ultegra Di2, Salsa Timberjack Ti, Cinelli Mash Work RandoCross Fun Time Machine, 1x9 XT Parts Hybrid, Co-Motion Cascadia, Specialized Langster, Phil Wood Apple VeloXS Frame (w/DA 7400), R+M Supercharger2 Rohloff, Habanero Ti 26

Mentioned: 54 Post(s)
Quoted: 4348 Post(s)
Liked 3,985 Times in 2,661 Posts
I probably wouldn't call cheap heavy metal wheels safe becuase the only ones I see these days are low quality junk from random sources. There is zero benefits to a wheel like that. They cannot be trued and usually the hub internals are poor at best and many of the ones I have seen more recently have been for freewheels. Back in the day when BMX companies made magnesium wheels, they were probably better and they were a 20" wheel.

You could run them if you are desperate but I probably wouldn't.
Old 04-20-23, 09:01 PM
Russ Roth

Bikes: 2010 Carrera Volans, 2015 C-Dale Trail 2sl, 2017 Raleigh Rush Hour, 2017 Blue Proseccio, 1992 Giant Perigee, 80s Gitane Rallye Tandem

Mentioned: 12 Post(s)
Quoted: 1088 Post(s)
Liked 1,022 Times in 722 Posts
I've never seen a set of metal mag wheels that were worth riding and many bordered on unsafe. If its what I had I'd use them for getting around and general riding as so many seem to get away with, but I wouldn't trust them on actual mtb trails.
Old 04-21-23, 07:20 PM
CrimsonEclipse

Originally Posted by Russ Roth
I've never seen a set of metal mag wheels that were worth riding and many bordered on unsafe. If its what I had I'd use them for getting around and general riding as so many seem to get away with, but I wouldn't trust them on actual mtb trails.
Yeah, there's so little information about them.
I search for a pattern of failures on mag wheels and don't find much.
Carbon wheels have examples everywhere.

The electric bike forums seem to use the mags a lot but that information doesn't help me much.
Old 04-21-23, 09:14 PM
veganbikes
Clark W. Griswold

Bikes: Foundry Chilkoot Ti W/Ultegra Di2, Salsa Timberjack Ti, Cinelli Mash Work RandoCross Fun Time Machine, 1x9 XT Parts Hybrid, Co-Motion Cascadia, Specialized Langster, Phil Wood Apple VeloXS Frame (w/DA 7400), R+M Supercharger2 Rohloff, Habanero Ti 26

Mentioned: 54 Post(s)
Quoted: 4348 Post(s)
Liked 3,985 Times in 2,661 Posts
Originally Posted by CrimsonEclipse

The electric bike forums seem to use the mags a lot but that information doesn't help me much.
They are out there carbon gets a bad rap sometimes and sometimes it is legit. In the end I would stick with known quantities at least for critical components.

Really bottom end e-mopeds generally (and maybe some e-bikes) use those mag wheels but I note them as e-mopeds because a bicycle DOES NOT have a throttle. Those wheels are pretty universally garbage I guess as improvised small boat anchor that could be pretty nifty though.
Old 04-22-23, 07:31 AM
Russ Roth

Bikes: 2010 Carrera Volans, 2015 C-Dale Trail 2sl, 2017 Raleigh Rush Hour, 2017 Blue Proseccio, 1992 Giant Perigee, 80s Gitane Rallye Tandem

Mentioned: 12 Post(s)
Quoted: 1088 Post(s)
Liked 1,022 Times in 722 Posts
Originally Posted by CrimsonEclipse

Worked on a bike this week for a friend with a pair, thankfully it used disc brakes. The runout wouldn't have worked well with rim brakes, the bearings were small and the axle was soft and bent. Hasn't failed yet, and probably won't fail in a way that's really dangerous but still not what I'd call safe.
Old 04-22-23, 11:38 AM
CrimsonEclipse

Originally Posted by Russ Roth
Worked on a bike this week for a friend with a pair, thankfully it used disc brakes. The runout wouldn't have worked well with rim brakes, the bearings were small and the axle was soft and bent. Hasn't failed yet, and probably won't fail in a way that's really dangerous but still not what I'd call safe.
ok, so basically, use it until it bends, then throw away.

Thanks
Old 04-26-23, 08:49 AM
2old

Mentioned: 9 Post(s)
Quoted: 882 Post(s)
Liked 821 Times in 620 Posts
I agree with RR; there's no compelling reason to use them except they're free. Examine visually frequently and don't use for "real" MTB.