Notices
Long Distance Competition/Ultracycling, Randonneuring and Endurance Cycling Do you enjoy centuries, double centuries, brevets, randonnees, and 24-hour time trials? Share ride reports, and exchange training, equipment, and nutrition information specific to long distance cycling. This isn't for tours, this is for endurance events cycling

Generator Hub- What is Normal?

Old 04-25-23, 01:43 PM
PhotonDon

Bikes: 97 Litespeed Classic, 72 Raleigh International, 72 Motobecane Grand Record, 1985 Trek 760, 2018 Steve Rex Custom

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 24 Post(s)
Liked 137 Times in 24 Posts
Generator Hub- What is Normal?

I bought a set of vey lightly used rando type wheels with a Shimano Alfine generator hub. When I turn the axle by hand, there is a definite "cogging" feel from the hub. I realize generator hubs must have a bit more resistance, but is cogging what I should be feeling? This is my first experience with a generator hub. Also, does it matter what side of the wheel the wire should originate from?
Old 04-25-23, 02:17 PM
tyrion

Bikes: Velo Orange Piolet

Mentioned: 28 Post(s)
Quoted: 2228 Post(s)
Liked 2,011 Times in 972 Posts
Originally Posted by PhotonDon
I bought a set of vey lightly used rando type wheels with a Shimano Alfine generator hub. When I turn the axle by hand, there is a definite "cogging" feel from the hub. I realize generator hubs must have a bit more resistance, but is cogging what I should be feeling? This is my first experience with a generator hub. Also, does it matter what side of the wheel the wire should originate from?
Probably normal. It surprised me how much drag there was when trying to turn the axle with my fingers (Shutter Precision hub) - it was a chunk-chunk-chunk feeling but not mechanical chunking, it was like the magnets were hooking up every few degrees. I hear SON dynamo hubs have noticeably lower drag than most other dynamo hubs.
Old 04-25-23, 02:54 PM
pdlamb

Bikes: Fuji Touring, Novara Randonee

Mentioned: 36 Post(s)
Quoted: 2577 Post(s)
Liked 1,900 Times in 1,192 Posts
That's normal. Both my SON and my Shimano 3N70(?) have that notchy-ness. Get on the bike and ride it, and you mostly won't notice it. Mostly, because there's about a 2 mph window on both bikes where I feel a bit of a buzz if the light's on (which it always is).

That notchy feeling makes truing/re-truing the wheel a bit of a drag because the wheel doesn't spin as freely as a standard hub. But, again, it's not a bother while riding.
Old 04-25-23, 03:46 PM
unterhausen
Randomhead

Quoted: 4 Post(s)
Liked 3,664 Times in 2,497 Posts
Some dynohubs are reversible and some aren't. I'm not sure what would be the difference.

The cogging is normal, it happens when the magnets line up with the windings.
Old 04-25-23, 04:47 PM
Tourist in MSN

Bikes: 1961 Ideor, 1966 Perfekt 3 Speed AB Hub, 1994 Bridgestone MB-6, 2006 Airnimal Joey, 2009 Thorn Sherpa, 2013 Thorn Nomad MkII, 2015 VO Pass Hunter, 2017 Lynskey Backroad, 2017 Raleigh Gran Prix, 1980s Bianchi Mixte on a trainer. Others are now gone.

Mentioned: 47 Post(s)
Quoted: 3426 Post(s)
Liked 1,441 Times in 1,122 Posts
As the armature turns past magnets, that causes the odd feel, which is normal for a dynohub.

You mentioned it is a Shimano hub. Be advised that Shimano hubs are grounded to the fork. That usually does not matter at all, but if either of your lights is grounded to the fork or frame, if it does not work you may have to reverse the wires to the light that does not work. It took me a few hours to figure that out when my light did not work on one of my bikes.

I have heard both that it does not matter which way the wheel turns, and that it does matter. Since the norm is to have the the plug on the right (drive) side of the bike, that is how I did it on all of my bikes.

If you are interested, I described how I wired my rando bike for lights at:
https://www.bikeforums.net/electroni...b-charger.html
Old 04-25-23, 08:10 PM
PhotonDon

Bikes: 97 Litespeed Classic, 72 Raleigh International, 72 Motobecane Grand Record, 1985 Trek 760, 2018 Steve Rex Custom

Quoted: 24 Post(s)
Liked 137 Times in 24 Posts
Thanks Guys! I couldn't respond earlier (babysitting grandkids) but you've taken a load off my paranoid mind. It makes perfect sense. This rando stuff takes a bit of learning curve. All the things that seem cool to me now are the things I would have cringed at in '73 (lights, racks, wide tires, wide gearing). Little did I know that the Motobecane Grand Record I bought that year would be the bike that ticks almost all the rando frame boxes.
Old 04-26-23, 01:26 PM
Classtime 

Bikes: 82 Medici, 2011 Richard Sachs, 2011 Milwaukee Road

Mentioned: 54 Post(s)
Quoted: 1924 Post(s)
Liked 1,954 Times in 1,086 Posts
I was using a rather nice bottle dyno before I got my SP hub dyno. I was worried like you after spinning the hub in the hand but after the wheel build and on the bike? So much better. My new normal.
Old 06-18-23, 09:44 PM
DidntHearU

Quoted: 1 Post(s)
Liked 2 Times in 2 Posts
dd

Last edited by DidntHearU; 07-02-23 at 04:14 PM.