Go Back  Bike Forums > Bike Forums > Electric Bikes
Reload this Page >

New Rad ebike lock

Notices
Electric Bikes Here's a place to discuss ebikes, from home grown to high-tech.

New Rad ebike lock

Old 04-26-23, 06:32 PM
kayakindude

Bikes: 1987 Cannondale SR600/BioPace, 1991 Cannondale Road Tandem,1994 Giant Iguana MB, 2009 Airnimal Chameleon, 2016 Dahon Vybe C7A

Mentioned: 6 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 121 Post(s)
Liked 100 Times in 63 Posts
New Rad ebike lock

One negative to the Rad brand is the inability to lock the bike/ignition with a key. They just came out with wheel locks that secure up to a 4" tire.

Mine arrived today

Found it pretty easy to install. Had to deflate the tires a bit and work each one past the fender. Secures the bike easily with a key, for quick in and out errands.

Likes For kayakindude:
Old 04-27-23, 02:03 PM
Leisesturm

Mentioned: 26 Post(s)
Quoted: 2473 Post(s)
Liked 722 Times in 513 Posts
You do you, but where I live, the bike gets locked TO something (with a u-lock) even for "quick in/out errands".
Likes For Leisesturm:
Old 04-27-23, 02:19 PM
Smaug1
Commuter

Bikes: 2023 Trek Domane AL3, 2022 Aventon Level.2, 2017 Trek Verve 3, 1972 Schwinn Varsity, 2024 Priority Apollo

Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Quoted: 217 Post(s)
Liked 280 Times in 163 Posts
I used to feel like that, but for a quick in-and-out errand, the bike will be a target of opportunity. Once the thief finds the wheel's locked, he's going to drop the bike and continue on his way. There are too many easier target, esp. with the bike right by a front door security camera.

I'll tell you a fun story, related to this. I live in a medium size city (100k people) and the bank I go to doesn't have a bike rack. One day, the branch manager asked how it was going, I said: "Fine, but could you get a bike rack?" She replied: "Probably not, but you're welcome to bring the bike in and park it just outside my office. I like to run a bike-friendly branch." It worked out great. I got some funny looks from the other patrons, but they have those energy-assisted doors for handicappers, so I just push the buttons and walk right in.

Before that, I had been locking my bike to a small tree with low branches on an island; just about poked my eye out. I'm tempted to go back there and prune their trees for them some day...
Likes For Smaug1: