Go Back  Bike Forums > Bike Forums > General Cycling Discussion
Reload this Page >

Do clip pedals make riding harder or easier?

Notices
General Cycling Discussion Have a cycling related question or comment that doesn't fit in one of the other specialty forums? Drop on in and post in here! When possible, please select the forum above that most fits your post!

Do clip pedals make riding harder or easier?

Old 05-19-23, 02:48 AM
PeteHski

Mentioned: 12 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 4273 Post(s)
Liked 4,709 Times in 2,909 Posts
Originally Posted by wolfchild
Why is it so hard for all the clipless fans out there to accept the fact that "some" people are just comfortable and have a preference for platform pedals and regular shoes ?. This whole argument against platform pedals being unsuitable for longer distances is just complete BS...I am not disputing or debating that clipless may have some slight performance benefits when racing or doing competitive type of riding, that's fine and I can accept that. I am just not interested in them that's all, like I said before I just prefer to be able to hop on my bike with whatever shoes I decide to wear that day and go for a ride without having to put on special type of shoes. Why can't people just accept that ?.
Those imaginary folk again. They will accept it when you stop listening to those voices in your head.
Likes For PeteHski:
Old 05-19-23, 08:30 AM
pdlamb

Bikes: Fuji Touring, Novara Randonee

Mentioned: 36 Post(s)
Quoted: 2575 Post(s)
Liked 1,900 Times in 1,192 Posts
Originally Posted by daihard
Just purely curious, are there studies or researches that demonstrate that clipless pedals are in fact more efficient (e.g. generate more power) than platform pedals in a statistically significant way? I've watched a few YouTube videos where they make the comparison and conclude that the advantage of the clipless system is minimal if it does exist in terms of efficiency.
I've seen studies and read reports that concluded that clipless gives the rider an advantage and some that say there's no advantage. If you skip the conclusion or abstract, you can read the first two paragraphs of the procedure section, and then almost always guess what the result is. That should tell you something; namely, that the people running these "experiments" are trying to prove a point -- on either side of the question.
Old 05-19-23, 08:39 AM
Koyote

Mentioned: 37 Post(s)
Quoted: 6882 Post(s)
Liked 10,872 Times in 4,637 Posts
You can't bunny-hop obstacles with platform pedals.
Old 05-19-23, 08:54 AM
jadmt

Bikes: Handsome xoxo, Serotta atx, Canyon Endurace CF8

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 900 Post(s)
Liked 1,842 Times in 830 Posts
Originally Posted by Koyote
obviously you have never seen danny macaskill in action.
Likes For jadmt:
Old 05-19-23, 08:56 AM
Koyote

Originally Posted by jadmt
obviously you have never seen danny macaskill in action.
Let me rephrase: most of us can't bunny-hop with platform pedals.
Old 05-19-23, 09:23 AM
Eric F 
Habitual User

Bikes: 2023 Niner RLT 9 RDO, 2018 Trek Procaliber 9.9 RSL, 2018 Storck Fascenario.3 Platinum, 2003 Time VX Special Pro, 2001 Colnago VIP, 1999 Trek 9900 singlespeed, 1977 Nishiki ONP

Mentioned: 5 Post(s)
Quoted: 4831 Post(s)
Liked 7,821 Times in 3,705 Posts
When you use proper bunny-hop techniques, you absolutely can.

Do not ask me to demonstrate. I suck at it. I cheat with clipless pedals.
Old 05-19-23, 09:40 AM
Koyote

Originally Posted by Eric F
When you use proper bunny-hop techniques, you absolutely can.

Do not ask me to demonstrate. I suck at it. I cheat with clipless pedals.
+1. That guy is impressive, but I can't do that stuff.
Likes For Koyote:
Old 05-19-23, 09:48 AM
Eric F 
Habitual User

Bikes: 2023 Niner RLT 9 RDO, 2018 Trek Procaliber 9.9 RSL, 2018 Storck Fascenario.3 Platinum, 2003 Time VX Special Pro, 2001 Colnago VIP, 1999 Trek 9900 singlespeed, 1977 Nishiki ONP

+1. That guy is impressive, but I can't do that stuff.
Likewise. However, I haven't put in a lot of time trying to learn.
Old 05-19-23, 10:01 AM
phughes

Mentioned: 7 Post(s)
Quoted: 1018 Post(s)
Liked 1,246 Times in 719 Posts
Yes you can.
Old 05-19-23, 10:10 AM
Koyote

Originally Posted by phughes
Yes you can.
Again, just to make this clear: I can't bunny-hop obstacles with platform pedals. I recall trying once and still have the scar to prove it.
Old 05-19-23, 10:21 AM
phughes

Mentioned: 7 Post(s)
Quoted: 1018 Post(s)
Liked 1,246 Times in 719 Posts
Again, just to make this clear: I can't bunny-hop obstacles with platform pedals. I recall trying once and still have the scar to prove it.
The bike makes a difference. A BMX bike is easy. My Surly LHT not so much, but it can be done. My old Ross Mt. Rainier was pretty easy with the original bars, with the albatross bars it currently sports, it's not as easy, but can be done.
Old 05-19-23, 12:13 PM
wolfchild
Banned

Bikes: I have 3 singlespeed/fixed gear bikes

Mentioned: 30 Post(s)
Quoted: 4227 Post(s)
Liked 2,488 Times in 1,286 Posts
I ride over all kinds of obstacles, no need for me to do any bunny hopping.
Old 05-19-23, 12:27 PM
Eric F 
Habitual User

I've found that hopping over road hazards like pot holes is a preferred alternative to riding thought them, if going around isn't practical or safe. It's also a valuable skill for riding in the dirt.
Old 05-19-23, 12:44 PM
Koyote

You are the master of the irrelevant non-sequitur.
Old 05-19-23, 01:42 PM
wolfchild
Banned

I've found that hopping over road hazards like pot holes is a preferred alternative to riding thought them, if going around isn't practical or safe. It's also a valuable skill for riding in the dirt.
When I have a pothole in front of me I just unweigh the front wheel and lift the front wheel by shifting my weight backwards and ride over it and do the same with the rear wheel, easily done with grippy MTB style platform pedals, i do exact same thing when riding over a log or a rock when riding singlestrack trails i don't need clipless pedals just to be able to ride over obstacles.
Old 05-19-23, 01:46 PM
Sy Reene
Advocatus Diaboli

Bikes: Merlin Cyrene, Nashbar steel CX

Mentioned: 14 Post(s)
Tagged: 1 Thread(s)
Quoted: 4717 Post(s)
Liked 1,526 Times in 997 Posts
Originally Posted by grantelmwood

Yes, clip pedals are more efficient, but I am wondering which is the better workout…..
  1. Clip pedals which allow more work, but reduce total riding time for a given distance
  2. Flat pedals, which allow for half work, and therefore a longer ride, for a given distance.
Basically, it seems to come down to sprint a mile in X mins, or jog a mile in Y mins.
Interesting idea.. kinda inverted to the idea that a heavier bike will take longer to travel those 5 miles for the same effort as a riding a lighter bike.

Old 05-19-23, 01:59 PM
Eric F 
Habitual User

When I have a pothole in front of me I just unweigh the front wheel and lift the front wheel by shifting my weight backwards and ride over it and do the same with the rear wheel, easily done with grippy MTB style platform pedals, i do exact same thing when riding over a log or a rock when riding singlestrack trails i don't need clipless pedals just to be able to ride over obstacles.
Cool that you found what works for you. I'm not suggesting that you should change anything.

At 20+mph on the road, I've found that hopping the whole bike at the same time works well for clearing most holes that I encounter. Being connected to the pedals makes that maneuver easier and more controlled for me. There are many reason why I prefer being on clipless pedals. This is just one of them.
Old 05-19-23, 02:25 PM
jadmt

Bikes: Handsome xoxo, Serotta atx, Canyon Endurace CF8

Quoted: 900 Post(s)
Liked 1,842 Times in 830 Posts

go to about 1.30 that is how you bunny hop going fast

Last edited by jadmt; 05-19-23 at 02:31 PM.
Likes For jadmt:
Old 05-19-23, 02:41 PM
rsbob 
Grupetto Bob

Bikes: Bikey McBike Face

Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Quoted: 2512 Post(s)
Liked 5,424 Times in 2,825 Posts
Seems like the advantages in clipless come in during a sprint or out of the saddle climbs. (And bunny hopping for the average Joe)

Old 05-19-23, 02:53 PM
LarrySellerz

Mentioned: 23 Post(s)
Quoted: 2644 Post(s)
Liked 474 Times in 344 Posts
Id think about it differently. Since you have platform pedals, you have the privilege to be able to practice bunny hopping obstacles without the crutch of clipless pedals. Bunny hopping without them will improve your form and you won’t have to cheat and ultimately relearn how to hop.

Clipless pedals help one bunny hop in the same way that bumpers help one learn how to bowl and training wheels help one learn how to ride a bike. You’re better off without them if you want to do it right, until you master it that is.

to answer the thread, clipless pedals allow you to go 100% and really sprint. Like when running going fully all out. Honestly though lots of people don’t bother doing this, I rarely ever do. Riding all out balls to the wall is inefficient and hard lol.

also someone link that video in Brazil of the dude drafting a truck at like 75 mph and bunny hopping over bumps.

Last edited by LarrySellerz; 05-19-23 at 02:58 PM.
Old 05-19-23, 04:14 PM
Koyote

Cool! You don't bunny hop.

When I have a pothole in front of me I just unweigh the front wheel and lift the front wheel by shifting my weight backwards and ride over it and do the same with the rear wheel, easily done with grippy MTB style platform pedals, i do exact same thing when riding over a log or a rock when riding singlestrack trails
Umm, wait. That's a bunny hop.

I think you are confused.
Old 05-19-23, 04:47 PM
Eric F 
Habitual User

Cool! You don't bunny hop.

Umm, wait. That's a bunny hop.

I think you are confused.
I interpreted the description as having at least 1 wheel on the ground at all times during the process. No hopping involved.
Old 05-19-23, 06:05 PM
margoC

Bikes: Caloi MTB, Raleigh heritage international

Quoted: 30 Post(s)
Liked 57 Times in 29 Posts
I miss being attached...

... to pedals. Back in the olden days when dinosaurs roamed the earth and I started cycling the shoes had cleats and straps, you put your foot in, tightened the straps en-route. When it was time to dismount you quickly released the strap by hand, your foot wouldn't come out otherwise. Every now and then you would start to lean in the wrong direction with predictable results.

Now imagine commuting and/or living car free, unclipping every light. Sometimes I wore shoes without cleats and just relied on the straps. It's worth mentioning that walking with cleats was awkward.

Then I went to school and when I graduated I moved to a more crowded city. I was tired of the risk of riding in traffic, and got a "lifecycle" to "ride" at home, and also went to the gym.

When I got back into riding a road bike again clipless pedals were invented. You could adjust the degree of float. I rode recreationally for a few more years. Between doing one-rep max leg presses and (I'm guessing) riding clipped in, my knees were shot. I had some orthopedic operations (shoulder and knee) culminating in a store bought knee.

It's been a tough road back but I'm back in the saddle. I'm 65ish but I think my skeleton is older. I ride more upright and with a different purpose. When I was going through trying to fit and be comfortable on my bikes I noticed my right foot points out at an extreme angle. It always did but I forced it to work in a more "normal" angle, which I think I should not have done. I also increased my "Q" factor with pedal extensions. This not only is more comfortable to me but it helps keep my heel from hitting the chainstay.

I use platform pedals and let my feet do what they want, I think this is better for my knees. I miss not being able to pull up, I used to use my whole body cycling and actually had 6pack abs! I've noticed though that since riding regularly my core is stronger. I don't pull up on the pedals but I do lift my leg to unweight the pedal on the upstroke side.

I've been thinking of getting the stirrups, or a strap, I've seen those at the LBS. I have ridden in the past a MTB that had straps on the pedal at an angle and they would tighten when you straightened your foot. The straps that I see are just wide straps. I think the toeclip strap method would still let my feet float freely while keeping my foot on the pedal and helping with pedaling.

I don't know if anyone else has any experience or suggestions, I thought about starting a thread.

Anyway, to me there's a difference between platform riding, stirrups, and being clipped in. I don't even know if I'm using the proper terminology. There's a difference to me though, but my priority is to ride in some fashion and not get injuries. I'm actually just now, after starting and stopping, feeling natural riding upright not clipped in somehow.

Feels good man . . .
Old 05-19-23, 06:59 PM
margoC

Bikes: Caloi MTB, Raleigh heritage international

Quoted: 30 Post(s)
Liked 57 Times in 29 Posts
Originally Posted by PeteHski
To keep your feet firmly in the optimum position on the pedals, with no risk of slipping off.

The pulling up is a big floppy red herring. The best you can do there is unweight your leg on the upstroke to reduce the negative torque from its own weight on the pedal. Not even pro cyclists generate any significant positive torque on their upstroke.
I could have sworn I pulled up on a regular basis. Not only did I feel it(or at least I thought I did) I had abs! I miss abs. The last crash I had, I only scraped my obliques because the protruded the most.

This was a long time ago. Now I have flabs. Kind of ab shaped but mushy.

Oh well, so goes life.
Likes For margoC:
Old 05-19-23, 07:16 PM
wolfchild
Banned

I interpreted the description as having at least 1 wheel on the ground at all times during the process. No hopping involved.
You are correct.

Search this Thread

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.