Go Back  Bike Forums > Bike Forums > Tandem Cycling
Reload this Page >

26” tires:

Search
Notices
Tandem Cycling A bicycle built for two. Want to find out more about this wonderful world of tandems? Check out this forum to talk with other tandem enthusiasts. Captains and stokers welcome!

26” tires:

Search this Thread

Old 05-16-23, 09:49 AM
JimQPublic

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 6 Post(s)
Liked 4 Times in 2 Posts
26” tires: Continental Contact Urban?

Sorry for the bad title- it should have been:
Continental Contact Urban for 26” wheel tandem?

My wife and I are getting back into cycling after (sadly) taking two decades off when we were raising kids. Our 30 year old CoMotion Bofus 26” wheel drop bar tandem hasn’t been used in 10 years and I want it road-ready. We probably won’t ride it much as we decided long ago that we prefer separate bikes, but our 20 year old son is an avid cyclist and wants to go fast.

I want a good, safe set of comfortable and not too expensive tires.

The fairly new Continental Contact Urban looks great.

Continental website Contact Urban
Bicycle Rolling Resistance test of 40-622

26” sizes are:
1.75” 47-559 565 g
2” 50-559 590 g
2.2” 55-559 665 g

We started out riding 1-1/4” tires and were happier when we went bigger- the last set were 1-3/4”. I think even bigger would be nice.

Tandem and team weigh about 400. I want a compliant ride on rough, bumpy pavement. My inclination is to go with the 50mm size.

What size do all y’all suggest and do you have experience with this tire? Would you go with different sizes front&rear?

Thanks

Last edited by JimQPublic; 05-16-23 at 10:03 AM. Reason: Bad title
Old 05-16-23, 12:07 PM
TobyGadd

Quoted: 32 Post(s)
Liked 17 Times in 15 Posts
I've never used those tires before, but I've ridden various Continental tires on my mountain, road, and commuting bikes--and I'm a fan.

Based on your reasoning and research, you've found what looks like a great tire for your needs. 2" tires are a bit heavier to spin up, but they will definitely be very comfortable--just make sure they fit your rims and frame. My wife and I like wide 32mm tires on our road tandem, and we have an extra wheelset for our MTB tandem that's mounted with 2.2" slicks, so we're not afraid to go big.

Have fun being back on the bike again! Like you, we spent FAR too long away from our bikes before discovering the joys of tandeming. We now have two tandems and 2 extra wheelsets to match conditions...
Old 05-16-23, 12:13 PM
fishboat

Bikes: Lemond '01 Maillot Jaune, Lemond '02 Victoire, Lemond '03 Poprad, Lemond '03 Wayzata DB conv(Poprad), '79 AcerMex Windsor Carrera Professional(pur new), '88 GT Tequesta(pur new), '01 Bianchi Grizzly, 1993 Trek 970 DB conv, Trek 8900 DB conv

Mentioned: 12 Post(s)
Quoted: 759 Post(s)
Liked 809 Times in 471 Posts
Schwalbe Big Ben 26x2.15. I run them on my touring bike and love them. Easy rolling, cushy, nice tires.
Old 05-16-23, 02:19 PM
RCMoeur 
Cantilever believer

Mentioned: 5 Post(s)
Quoted: 527 Post(s)
Liked 1,808 Times in 819 Posts
We used IRC Metro Duro 26x2.0s on our Santana for several years - my wife is not petite, so we liked the ride & durability. We have also ridden Kenda Kwest 26x1.25s rated at 100 psi (7 bar) - lighter & faster, but with a slightly lower-comfort ride quality.
Old 05-16-23, 02:26 PM
Chinghis

Bikes: Historical: Schwinn Speedster; Schwinn Collegiate; 1981 Ross Gran Tour; 1981 Dawes Atlantis; 1991 Specialized Rockhopper. Current: 1987 Ritchey Ultra; 1987 Centurion Ironman Dave Scott Master; 1992 Specialized Stumpjumper FS

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 209 Post(s)
Liked 178 Times in 111 Posts
Originally Posted by RCMoeur
We used IRC Metro Duro 26x2.0s on our Santana for several years - my wife is not petite, so we liked the ride & durability. We have also ridden Kenda Kwest 26x1.25s rated at 100 psi (7 bar) - lighter & faster, but with a slightly lower-comfort ride quality.
I'm a fan of Kenda as well. Currently using 26x2.1s on my SJ commuter, but I also have the 1.5s, which I used to use. The 2.1s are comfortable, for sure, but I kind of like the faster ride on the 1.5s. Rarely meet a dirt or gravel road that I couldn't handle on the 1.5s.But, yeah I think you'd like the 2.1s, now that I re-read your comment.
Old 05-17-23, 07:18 AM
JimQPublic

Liked 4 Times in 2 Posts
Thanks everyone.
Any thoughts on running a bigger rear tire since it carries quite a bit more weight with the captain and stoker weighing about the same?
Old 05-17-23, 04:57 PM
Leisesturm

Mentioned: 26 Post(s)
Quoted: 2493 Post(s)
Liked 738 Times in 522 Posts
Originally Posted by JimQPublic
Thanks everyone.
Any thoughts on running a bigger rear tire since it carries quite a bit more weight with the captain and stoker weighing about the same?
Not necessary IMO. You may end up crossing the line where a different size tube is necessary for the rear one. Just more hassle. We only use tires in your size range for our 'car' tandem. Commuting, errands and trailer towing. For speed and giggles on the weekends/holidays - 700C @28mm!!
Likes For Leisesturm:
Old 05-28-23, 11:46 PM
lichtgrau

Bikes: (Ti) Rabbit "soulmate" plus half a dozen "half bikes"

Quoted: 33 Post(s)
Liked 28 Times in 19 Posts
Originally Posted by JimQPublic
Thanks everyone.
We ride on Schwalbe Marathon Plus Performance 26x1,75. With a rolling resistance that's way better than thought and a puncture resistance as good as expected, a set of these is our companion since nearly 13.000 Kilometers. The next set is waiting in my cellar but those seem to never wear out...

Wider rear tires would mean narrower front tires...
For me (as captain) one of the tandem-challenges is to ride safely on roads that are a little sandy (often here). To control our vehicle surely on those grounds needs a certain tire wideness. The tendency of the tandem-front-wheel to just slip away is bigger than on a solo-bike plus you cannot temporarily ease the load on the front wheel of a tandem as good as on a solo... so for me the 1,75" wideness (front and rear) seems to be perfect (meaning the best compromise) so far...
Old 05-29-23, 10:45 AM
Bornco

Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Quoted: 7 Post(s)
Liked 1 Time in 1 Post
We are riding a Continental Contact Speed in a 26x1.60 (42x559) on our front wheel and a Schwalbe Marathon Supreme of the same size on the back. Not sure if the Contact Speed is the same as the Contact Urban, but we do like the tire. It has a wire bead so is heavier than the Marathon Supreme with its foldiing bead. They both are wearing well and seem to roll pretty good. We are a 300lb team. My experience with a wider back tire is that it made the bike ride different in a way I didn't like. As a tire gets wider it also gets taller, so I was not a fan. Good luck with your selection and riding
Old 05-31-23, 04:04 PM
JimQPublic

Liked 4 Times in 2 Posts
I went with the Continental Contact Urban size 47-559, mostly because that size was on sale with free shipping. They measure 47 mm on the rear and 44 on the front since I my rear Mavic rim is wider than the front. The tires feel smooth and supple but I only rode around the block once.
Old 05-31-23, 08:45 PM
JanMM
rebmeM roineS

Bikes: Bacchetta Giro A20, RANS V-Rex, RANS Screamer

Mentioned: 15 Post(s)
Quoted: 653 Post(s)
Liked 347 Times in 226 Posts
We've used Schwalbe Marathon Racers for several years. 20"/406 front and 26"/559 rear - both 1.5". Nope, they are not racing tires. Our recumbent tandem is actually a bit front heavy, so front tire gets a pinch more air. Yes, I've weighed the bike with us on it several times.
Old 07-17-23, 11:59 PM
ksisler

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 25 Post(s)
Liked 2 Times in 2 Posts
Schwalbe Marathon Plus in 26x1.75 Is golden imho

Imho, the Schwalbe Marathon Plus in 26x1.75 Is a golden solution. We started with them and just never found a reason to use something else.

QUOTE=lichtgrau;22905331]We ride on Schwalbe Marathon Plus Performance 26x1,75. With a rolling resistance that's way better than thought and a puncture resistance as good as expected, a set of these is our companion since nearly 13.000 Kilometers. The next set is waiting in my cellar but those seem to never wear out...

Wider rear tires would mean narrower front tires...
For me (as captain) one of the tandem-challenges is to ride safely on roads that are a little sandy (often here). To control our vehicle surely on those grounds needs a certain tire wideness. The tendency of the tandem-front-wheel to just slip away is bigger than on a solo-bike plus you cannot temporarily ease the load on the front wheel of a tandem as good as on a solo... so for me the 1,75" wideness (front and rear) seems to be perfect (meaning the best compromise) so far...[/QUOTE]