Go Back  Bike Forums > Bike Forums > Advocacy & Safety
Reload this Page >

Local people did this for cyclists

Search
Notices
Advocacy & Safety Cyclists should expect and demand safe accommodation on every public road, just as do all other users. Discuss your bicycle advocacy and safety concerns here.

Search this Thread

Old 05-19-23, 11:19 AM
kap 7

Bikes: 2007 Specialized Hardrock XC

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 52 Post(s)
Liked 8 Times in 7 Posts

Seen this in my local news thought it might be of interest here. https://www.wndu.com/2023/05/18/ride...led-accidents/
Likes For kap 7:
Old 05-21-23, 04:26 PM
BobbyG

Bikes: 2015 Charge Plug, 2007 Dahon Boardwalk, 1997 Nishiki Blazer, 1984 Nishiki International, 2006 Felt F65, 1989 Dahon Getaway V

Mentioned: 54 Post(s)
Quoted: 1364 Post(s)
Liked 1,677 Times in 827 Posts
Originally Posted by kap 7
Seen this in my local news thought it might be of interest here. https://www.wndu.com/2023/05/18/ride...led-accidents/
Thanks for sharing.

I've been riding for over 50 years and biking to work for the last 30 years starting at a time before cellphones and smartphones. There have always been thoughtless, selfish, rude and distracted drivers...there just seems to be more of them now.

An event like this helps the survivors with their grief, and hopefully creates awareness of poor driving habits, but I would venture to guess it doesn't help much with the latter. On the other hand, it couldn't hurt.
Old 05-21-23, 04:42 PM
kap 7

Bikes: 2007 Specialized Hardrock XC

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Quoted: 52 Post(s)
Liked 8 Times in 7 Posts
Originally Posted by BobbyG
Thanks for sharing.

I've been riding for over 50 years and biking to work for the last 30 years starting at a time before cellphones and smartphones. There have always been thoughtless, selfish, rude and distracted drivers...there just seems to be more of them now.

An event like this helps the survivors with their grief, and hopefully creates awareness of poor driving habits, but I would venture to guess it doesn't help much with the latter. On the other hand, it couldn't hurt.
I completely agree with everything you just said and maybe just maybe it'll make a driver or two think about cyclists.
Old 05-25-23, 01:14 PM
Calsun
Banned

Mentioned: 3 Post(s)
Quoted: 608 Post(s)
Liked 382 Times in 288 Posts
The accident reports state "distracted" driver and fail to mention that the individual was too busy with their cell phone to pay attention to where they were driving their several thousand pound vehicle. Even where I live there has been a "hands free" law on the books for many years in the state but it is never ever enforced by state and local LEO's. It is very common to see drivers going outside their lane or not bothering to use their side mirrors even when merging with traffic and nearly always the driver is looking at their cell phone which is in their hand and up to their face.

The solution is to increase the fines and use the money to add more cameras along the highways to take pictures of motorists. Even our crude image recognition software can flag pictures where there is a motorist holding a cell phone and the camera captures the front license plate to tie the picture to the vehicle.

Traffic incidents have increased greatly since the advent of the cheap cell phone and gotten much worse with people who are addicted to social media and texting with friends during every waking hour.