Go Back  Bike Forums > The Racer's Forum > Track Cycling: Velodrome Racing and Training Area
Reload this Page >

Starting out on track without road bike experience

Search
Notices
Track Cycling: Velodrome Racing and Training Area Looking to enter into the realm of track racing? Want to share your experiences and tactics for riding on a velodrome? The Track Cycling forums is for you! Come in and discuss training/racing, equipment, and current track cycling events.

Search this Thread

Old 05-22-23, 09:17 AM
mbe820

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 9 Post(s)
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts

I'm interested in trying out track cycling. There is a velodrome near me that does a track for beginner class. I have no experience "road riding", I've never done group rides, or anything like that. Most of my cycling experience up to now has been commuting to work, I do this on a fixed gear(with brakes). Would I be unprepared if I have never done "road cycling"?
Old 05-22-23, 11:07 AM
force10

Quoted: 122 Post(s)
Liked 53 Times in 43 Posts
If it is a class for beginners, I'd imagine you will be fine. Those classes are designed partly for community outreach and business development at the velodrome near me. From the website: "All you need is a moderate sense of balance and your own helmet. That’s all it takes. It’s just like riding a bike. 😉"

I have done a good bit of group riding and some road races, and, having just viewed track riding, I dont see a lot of crossover. I would want to be in a beginner class if I were to try the track out as well.
Old 05-22-23, 11:38 AM
nebula

Quoted: 3 Post(s)
Liked 1 Time in 1 Post
Go for it! With your fixed gear riding, you have more relevant experience than I did. The beginner class should give you a chance to practice any skills you need to get started.

I would use the track's rental bikes, at least to start. To use your bike, you would need to remove the brakes (and if it is indoor/steep, check that your tires are suitable, and clean).
Old 05-23-23, 07:31 AM
topflightpro

Mentioned: 54 Post(s)
Quoted: 1851 Post(s)
Liked 678 Times in 429 Posts
Go for it. You can give the class a try, and if you like it, you can look at giving racing a go.

In some ways, you will be at a disadvantage to those who are experienced road racers. But in other ways, you won't have any bad habits to unlearn.

What track are you near?
Old 05-23-23, 10:14 AM
mbe820

Quoted: 9 Post(s)
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Major Taylor Velodrome